Updated: Alex Rae Is Our New Manager

I agree that he spoke well in the interview. Seems to have a no nonsense approach, came across as being capable and a good motivator.

But, ultimately he needs to start racking up the points.

Have to be blunt, here.

How many managers that we have brought in (Tommy Craig excepted) didn't talk a good game? I'm not interested in his tittle tattle. They all seem able to give us the chat, but I would rather they slabbered nonsense to the media and won us a few games.

He's bound to be at least 5 times as good as IM.

For his couple of years at the DEID club he got £569,000, for his EBT.

IM only got £95,000.

I wonder how much the 'special' wedge was that SG offered, to attract them to Paisley...?

Edited by bluto

This. We need WINS. At home would be a start but regardless, we need to start winning games of football. Quickly.

I was reading Farrell's book tonight, skipped forward to the Dundee part. Was very interesting.

Dundee were having a hopeless time at home and the first thing Rae did was narrow the pitch. He made it narrower and shorter as visiting teams were ripping Dundee apart on it. It worked. Their home form improved dramatically.

They did however lose their first 4 games in charge before the team turned the corner and started winning and they ended up 3rd. The next season they finished with 69 points which would have won the league the season before and the season after but only managed to get 2nd place because Hamilton had such a good campaign.

Injuries and the loss of key players in the 3rd season hampered them and they were sacked when 9 points off the top of the league in October.

Corianders Rae was also interviewed for the managers job at Millwall when he was at Dundee, made it to the last two but the Lions opted to give the gig to Kenny Jackett instead.

The flip side I'm hearing is that Rae alienated players at Dundee with his in your face attitude.

The flip side I'm hearing is that Rae alienated players at Dundee with his in your face attitude.

That's okay. It may well be that some player's need to be alienated on account of them being pure shite!

Some absolute bangers use this forum, whoop dings, halfwits and Lords of pity me!

Amidst all the absolute stupidity the fact is we have a new manager. Hallelujah, amen and thank buggery. Exciting times lie ahead.

I think there is a fine line as Mourinho found out to his cost. Managers need total respect and buy in from the players, otherwise, without putting too fine a point on it, they have it in them to get you sacked. At the same time if you are a pushover they will walk all over you.

I think we've had a few good cops, so maybe a bad cop won't be such a bad thing. I think Gus & Andy worked well together because they were tough on discipline.

Yep I did. Alex Smith was the guy I wanted when there was a vacancy created by Alex Miller leaving to go to Hibs. I was even more excited when I heard he was to be assisted by Jimmy Bone. And while the St Mirren board wrong footed a lot of people, including me, when they appointed Tom Hendrie it was an appointment that excited me right from the off. I also thought that RIcky McFarlane was the right choice when he was finally named the manager after a good run of results with him as caretaker when Jim Clunie had been sacked.

They're probably the only three though throughout that time and others will hold their own opinions on how successful they were as manager.

If others aren't being heavily revisionist when answering this then I think they would admit there were a hell of a lot of St Mirren fans who were delighted when Tony Fitzpatrick was given the job for the first time. Personally I thought it had come too early for him, but I can remember the cheers at Love Street when him and McGarvey were revealed as the new management team.

Smith signing from a part time team who he had been with for 12 years did worry me but fair to say it was a good appointment. Can't remember much about Ricky McFarland time as manager probably due to drinks_cheers.gif Hendrie signing scared me as well due to coming from a part time team but like Smith he proved me wrong. As for Fitz and McGarvey I didn't see that working and sadly that how it proved to be.

Oh dear another one that can't debate for toffee. Such eloquence.

Surely the essence of "debate" is to present an argument? My argument was that nobody on the BOD cares who you are or what you think and I feel I presented that very succinctly, no?

The inference of my statement is, however, that you're a tedious bore who spends far too much time on this forum repeating himself over and over in a, quite frankly, sad attempt to gain attention and legitimise your own argument whilst continuing to grind your axe against anything connected to the club.

How's that for eloquence?

Edited by DLBud

They did however lose their first 4 games in charge before the team turned the corner and started winning and they ended up 3rd. The next season they finished with 69 points which would have won the league the season before and the season after but only managed to get 2nd place because Hamilton had such a good campaign.

Injuries and the loss of key players in the 3rd season hampered them and they were sacked when 9 points off the top of the league in October.

To be fair, they only managed 2nd place because they didn't gain enough points.

69 points wouldn't have won the league in 18 out of 20 seasons and wouldn't have landed 2nd place in some of them....

He did drastically improve Dundee though and that's what we need them to do with us. I'd be over the moon with a 2nd place finish next season.

But in his 3rd season he was sacked after going on a 7 game run without a victory, 5 were defeats.

They had only one 3 out of 12 games so it was a poor start.

Let's hope there's not a second chapter of poor excuses about their time with us.

Edited by davidg

Still four months of the season to go. Hell, we could have John Sutton up front again from January.

I'm an eternal optimist and I still think we've got enough in our squad, with a couple of tweaks, to put a few wins together and get up this league. Top four is a huge ask, but top half would be acceptable. I'd also love to see us finish above Morton, just for the LOLs.

Can Rae do this? No f**king idea. But it doesn't take amazing management or an incredible squad to do things in this league. We just need a bit of unity, fight, organisation and sensible team selections. And some luck. Can Rae do those things? I bloody hope so.

Still four months of the season to go. Hell, we could have John Sutton up front again from January.

I'm an eternal optimist and I still think we've got enough in our squad, with a couple of tweaks, to put a few wins together and get up this league. Top four is a huge ask, but top half would be acceptable. I'd also love to see us finish above Morton, just for the LOLs.

Can Rae do this? No f**king idea. But it doesn't take amazing management or an incredible squad to do things in this league. We just need a bit of unity, fight, organisation and sensible team selections. And some luck. Can Rae do those things? I bloody hope so.

Correct

I watched Morton v Raith last night,it was dreadful better fitba will be played on public parks today

But those 2 teams are well ahead of us just shows what a bad job Murray was doing

Why, unless you are Jimmy Calderwood, would you vow never to return to watch St Mirren until 'the wee prick Rae' leaves the club? Pretty sure none of us care much for any hue of ugly sister related bawbaggery, but unless someone can enlighten me, has Alex Rae 'done a Tokeley' on any of our players? Has he wiped his arse with a St Mirren training top? Has he been one of those footballers charged with rape? Has he killed someone while drunk driving? Has he been done for racist abuse?

Aside from Sevconian twattery, what has Alex Rae done to make folk walk away before he's even started?

Screwed someone's maw / sister / missus / or simply is a bit of a Sevco knob?

Edited by pozbaird

To be fair, they only managed 2nd place because they didn't gain enough points.

69 points wouldn't have won the league in 18 out of 20 seasons and wouldn't have landed 2nd place in some of them....

He did drastically improve Dundee though and that's what we need them to do with us. I'd be over the moon with a 2nd place finish next season.

But in his 3rd season he was sacked after going on a 7 game run without a victory, 5 were defeats.

They had only one 3 out of 12 games so it was a poor start.

Let's hope there's not a second chapter of poor excuses about their time with us.

On the latter, im fairly confident the experience he has picked up from ince and mcleish since then will have added much needed experience.

Surely the essence of "debate" is to present an argument? My argument was that nobody on the BOD cares who you are or what you think and I feel I presented that very succinctly, no?

The inference of my statement is, however, that you're a tedious bore who spends far too much time on this forum repeating himself over and over in a, quite frankly, sad attempt to gain attention and legitimise your own argument whilst continuing to grind your axe against anything connected to the club.

How's that for eloquence?

Lookatme is an attention seeker?

How did you come to that conclusion?whistling.gif

I think there is a fine line as Mourinho found out to his cost. Managers need total respect and buy in from the players, otherwise, without putting too fine a point on it, they have it in them to get you sacked. At the same time if you are a pushover they will walk all over you.

I think we've had a few good cops, so maybe a bad cop won't be such a bad thing. I think Gus & Andy worked well together because they were tough on discipline.

Emm... Which one was good copmellow.png