Updated: Alex Rae Is Our New Manager

Was it LPM who premised one of many threads regarding Ian Murray on his (LPM's) concern for Murray's health in the context of his travails in post?

In a similar spirit, one has to be concerned as to the current state of mind of LPM. Is it reasonable, or, indeed, responsible, to continue to engage with him when it is so apparent that his mental state is alarmingly compromised? Do we want the unravelling of a man so beleaguered on our collective conscience?

Ah... Another one whose mind makes him think he speaks on behalf of 4644 members, I am sure nursey will be along with his midday meds soon.

The difficulty I have with the suggestion from Div's source that the reason Rae was airing his frustrations in the media was solely down to Miller taking the huff and walking is this.

Miller wasnt as we are led to believe under contract.

So when he walked why would this be a frustration that led Rae to say "one or two things havent gone the way I wanted", you would have thought that was a problem solved for Rae as it freed up the opportunity to get the man he wanted all along???

And finally, Rae was in the media airing his views days after Miller left, why would Miller's walking still, or ever be a major issue?

The bottom line tells all really, Rae had to operate without an assitant for nearly three weeks, when the guy he wanted was driving cabs, and the waage had already been freed up. Them there are facts.

Alex Miller had prepared the team all week in the lead up to the Alloa game, and left as soon as he found out Alex Rae was taking immediate charge on the Friday.

I gather the manager would have liked a sit down with him to go through the preparation and notes on Alloa but Miller wasn't willing to do that which left Rae to rely on David Longwell for that game.

Miller was on a month to month contract.

It really has been a massive storm in a teacup brought about by a single line in a press conference.

Anyway, Rae is in place, Farrell is in place, and we've won 2 from 3 games. Time for us all to move on. I've certainly got better things to do than bang my head off a brick wall continually.

Alex Miller had prepared the team all week in the lead up to the Alloa game, and left as soon as he found out Alex Rae was taking immediate charge on the Friday.

I gather the manager would have liked a sit down with him to go through the preparation and notes on Alloa but Miller wasn't willing to do that which left Rae to rely on David Longwell for that game.

It really has been a massive storm in a teacup brought about by a single line in a press conference.

Anyway, Rae is in place, Farrell is in place, and we've won 2 from 3 games. Time for us all to move on. I've certainly got better things to do than bang my head off a brick wall continually.

Is that a thinly veiled threat of self-violence?

Just quote the posts with threats of violence please (noticed younare running a million miles from that now). In fact you and Poz could quote them together so the whole forum can judge.

Or you could just stop making things up? Which is it to be?

Not particularly wanting to sift through thousands of posts in the 10,000 Hours archive to find 3 or 4 of your posts threatening legal action for libel and suggestions of violence. I have a life!

Pretty ironic that David Farrell in his book implies Alex Miller was probably the biggest influence on his career, only to replace him at Saints.

Pretty ironic that David Farrell in his book implies Alex Miller was probably the biggest influence on his career, only to replace him at Saints.

Dinosaurs predated us and in some way influenced a taxi driver's evolution. Don't think they could drive a car though.

Edited to add an apostrophe.

Just in case the grammar police were lurking. whistling.gif

Please don't pull me up for a fragmented sentence.

Edited by stlucifer

Article in the Daily Ranger today about Farrell. Apparently he could not team up with Rae immediately due to work commitments - nothing to do with the Board.
FARRELL has assisted Alex Rae at Dundee but thought his career in football was done before St Mirren came calling.
JS79703900.jpg

St Mirren's new assistant boss Davie Farrell

HIS book is called Taxi for Farrell but when Alex Rae hailed him the author had no option but to pull 
in, jump out and walk away from 
the cab.

Straight back into the madhouse that is football management.

Yesterday, Davie Farrell sat at 
 St Mirren’s training complex shaking his head and smiling. He knows it makes no sense but he just can’t help himself.

Farrell was enjoying a burgeoning reputation as a blogger for his ability to take people inside the dressing room and between the ears of football people, drawing on the experience of his 25 years in the game. His book was a big seller at Christmas and media work was coming in.

Yet when his mate Rae landed the St Mirren job last month 
and asked him to reform a 
partnership they’d forged at Dundee and Notts County, the former Hibs and Partick Thistle midfielder couldn’t resist.

So he finished his last shift as a cabbie at 5.30am on New Year’s Day and was on the St Mirren training ground four hours later. The following day he was in a dugout at Cappielow helping his new team win the Renfrewshire derby.

Farrell said: “We were winning 1-0 in the second half and I was standing there thinking: ‘This is brilliant, I’m back in among it again.’

“But it’s difficult to explain how it feels. At the end of the game, the management team experiences joy at the result but the biggest emotion is relief.

“We were so relieved to have won an important game against Morton. It was more about that than celebrating a victory. It then makes you wonder – if it’s only relief you feel, then why?

JS79578436.jpgNew St Mirren assistant manager David Farrell takes the warm-up

“Why are you going back into it all? But it’s there. It’s just in you. I was born into football and it was away from me for 18 months. It’s too big a lure to resist.”

Farrell’s last job in football was with Celtic Nation as assistant to Willie McStay but when that Carlisle-based experiment went bust, the Glaswegian reckoned the final whistle had blown on his career.

Then Rae made the call that changed everything. Farrell said: “No matter how many times you tell yourself you are not going to go back into football, in the back of your mind there is always a belief if the phone call comes and the right offer is made, you will go back in.

“There is that addiction I talk about in the book. There’s no doubt about it – it’s in there. You always have the feeling you want to prove yourself and the next job could be the job that really makes your name, that you can take a club and do something special with it.

When Alex got the job there was a lot of speculation about me joining him and people thought it would be a natural thing for me to come in with him.

“One or two things had to be tied up with my work before it could happen.

“It was a big decision. Over the years I’d been through a lot but the main factor is I have to provide for the family.

“I had a steady job with the taxi but part of that was it gave the flexibility to drop it if I was given an opportunity to get back into football and thankfully it’s now come about again.

“With having a steady income from the taxi and relative success of the book and the blog, there were little media sidelines emerging. I was doing the odd match 
analysis and I really enjoyed the writing. It did make me think: ‘Is there something there? Is there another career for me alongside the taxi, which means I don’t need to go back into football?

“But ultimately the lure of being back among football people again overcame those other things. But it’s still a bit of a gamble. It’s a risk. But there is nothing to beat being back in the game. Nothing.”

The man who tugged his sleeve was clearly a big influence on his decision. Farrell added: “The fact it was Alex asking me back in was a huge factor.

“I worked with him at Dundee and Notts County and I know how he works. We have a good relationship and we’ve known each other a long time.

“I don’t think I could have gone back into the game working with someone I didn’t really know. There’s no doubt Alex was key.

SNS Group JS79338508.jpg
St Mirren manager Alex Rae

“At Dundee we’d built a decent team and a good club over the two and a half years we were there. We felt as though we could take it further.

“It’s actually a similar situation here. We are taking on a team that have 
been in the Premiership and are in a transitional period. We have to start from a lower position than the club would like to be in

“But there’s no question we still feel we would like to prove ourselves and get the club up to a higher level first and then see where that takes us. Make no mistake, though, we have a big job to do here.

“Given the position the team is in, the first priority has to be making sure we are a much more difficult team to beat.

“I’m not saying we should be trying 
to make the play-offs or stay away from the relegation zone. We just have to improve as a team and wherever that improvement takes us, we’ll see.”

On Saturday it took him to Cappielow. On Friday, he’ll be in the home dugout for the first time as Saints take on Partick Thistle in the Scottish Cup.

Yesterday, he and Rae were completing their video analysis on the Jags before heading to an Under-20s game.

Farrell has thrown himself into the job and admits there’s nothing he’d rather be doing. He added: “I did my last shift in the taxi over Hogmanay – finished at 5.30am and was in here at 9.30am.

“I picked up a couple of guys in the city centre, dropped off one in Coatbridge, the other in Airdrie, drove back over the motorway, looked up to the sky and thought: “I’m back in football the morra.”

Edited by Sonny

Article in the Daily Ranger today about Farrell. Apparently he could not team up with Rae immediately due to work commitments - nothing to do with the Board.

FARRELL has assisted Alex Rae at Dundee but thought his career in football was done before St Mirren came calling.

JS79703900.jpg

St Mirren's new assistant boss Davie Farrell

HIS book is called Taxi for Farrell but when Alex Rae hailed him the author had no option but to pull 
in, jump out and walk away from 
the cab.

Straight back into the madhouse that is football management.

Yesterday, Davie Farrell sat at 
 St Mirrens training complex shaking his head and smiling. He knows it makes no sense but he just cant help himself.

Farrell was enjoying a burgeoning reputation as a blogger for his ability to take people inside the dressing room and between the ears of football people, drawing on the experience of his 25 years in the game. His book was a big seller at Christmas and media work was coming in.

Yet when his mate Rae landed the St Mirren job last month 
and asked him to reform a 
partnership theyd forged at Dundee and Notts County, the former Hibs and Partick Thistle midfielder couldnt resist.

So he finished his last shift as a cabbie at 5.30am on New Years Day and was on the St Mirren training ground four hours later. The following day he was in a dugout at Cappielow helping his new team win the Renfrewshire derby.

Farrell said: We were winning 1-0 in the second half and I was standing there thinking: This is brilliant, Im back in among it again.

But its difficult to explain how it feels. At the end of the game, the management team experiences joy at the result but the biggest emotion is relief.

We were so relieved to have won an important game against Morton. It was more about that than celebrating a victory. It then makes you wonder if its only relief you feel, then why?

JS79578436.jpgNew St Mirren assistant manager David Farrell takes the warm-up

Why are you going back into it all? But its there. Its just in you. I was born into football and it was away from me for 18 months. Its too big a lure to resist.

Farrells last job in football was with Celtic Nation as assistant to Willie McStay but when that Carlisle-based experiment went bust, the Glaswegian reckoned the final whistle had blown on his career.

Then Rae made the call that changed everything. Farrell said: No matter how many times you tell yourself you are not going to go back into football, in the back of your mind there is always a belief if the phone call comes and the right offer is made, you will go back in.

There is that addiction I talk about in the book. Theres no doubt about it its in there. You always have the feeling you want to prove yourself and the next job could be the job that really makes your name, that you can take a club and do something special with it.

When Alex got the job there was a lot of speculation about me joining him and people thought it would be a natural thing for me to come in with him.

One or two things had to be tied up with my work before it could happen.

It was a big decision. Over the years Id been through a lot but the main factor is I have to provide for the family.

I had a steady job with the taxi but part of that was it gave the flexibility to drop it if I was given an opportunity to get back into football and thankfully its now come about again.

With having a steady income from the taxi and relative success of the book and the blog, there were little media sidelines emerging. I was doing the odd match 
analysis and I really enjoyed the writing. It did make me think: Is there something there? Is there another career for me alongside the taxi, which means I dont need to go back into football?

But ultimately the lure of being back among football people again overcame those other things. But its still a bit of a gamble. Its a risk. But there is nothing to beat being back in the game. Nothing.

The man who tugged his sleeve was clearly a big influence on his decision. Farrell added: The fact it was Alex asking me back in was a huge factor.

I worked with him at Dundee and Notts County and I know how he works. We have a good relationship and weve known each other a long time.

I dont think I could have gone back into the game working with someone I didnt really know. Theres no doubt Alex was key.

SNS Group JS79338508.jpgSt Mirren manager Alex Rae

At Dundee wed built a decent team and a good club over the two and a half years we were there. We felt as though we could take it further.

Its actually a similar situation here. We are taking on a team that have 
been in the Premiership and are in a transitional period. We have to start from a lower position than the club would like to be in

But theres no question we still feel we would like to prove ourselves and get the club up to a higher level first and then see where that takes us. Make no mistake, though, we have a big job to do here.

Given the position the team is in, the first priority has to be making sure we are a much more difficult team to beat.

Im not saying we should be trying 
to make the play-offs or stay away from the relegation zone. We just have to improve as a team and wherever that improvement takes us, well see.

On Saturday it took him to Cappielow. On Friday, hell be in the home dugout for the first time as Saints take on Partick Thistle in the Scottish Cup.

Yesterday, he and Rae were completing their video analysis on the Jags before heading to an Under-20s game.

Farrell has thrown himself into the job and admits theres nothing hed rather be doing. He added: I did my last shift in the taxi over Hogmanay finished at 5.30am and was in here at 9.30am.

I picked up a couple of guys in the city centre, dropped off one in Coatbridge, the other in Airdrie, drove back over the motorway, looked up to the sky and thought: Im back in football the morra.

So are you seriously going to believe a Taxi Driver before our good Lord?

Rae and Farrell both seem to have their feet on the ground and understand what we need to do to improve. Both speak with a mixture of realism and enthusiasm which is a good start. It feels like there is some heart going back into the club which was lost under Murray and previously Craig.

Fridays game will be interesting, up against Thistle a club of similar size to ourselves. If Rae has done his homework, which I suspect he has, then we are in with a chance. He won't suffer fools gladly and has quickly recognised the passengers. I have hope in my heart for us ( naive I know) but if we go down in games we musnt go without a fight. COYS!

Rae and Farrell both seem to have their feet on the ground and understand what we need to do to improve. Both speak with a mixture of realism and enthusiasm which is a good start. It feels like there is some heart going back into the club which was lost under Murray and previously Craig.

Fridays game will be interesting, up against Thistle a club of similar size to ourselves. If Rae has done his homework, which I suspect he has, then we are in with a chance. He won't suffer fools gladly and has quickly recognised the passengers. I have hope in my heart for us ( naive I know) but if we go down in games we musnt go without a fight. COYS!

Agreed. I don't really expect to win on Friday, Thistle are a good side who are playing exceptionally well right now, but I do expect us to give them a game.

I'd love to win and get on a cup run but the absolute priority for me anyway is the league and getting as high up as we can. Personally if I was offered the choice of winning one or the other between Friday and next weekend at home to Raith I'd take the 3 points.

Maybe we can win both thumbup2.gif

Wasn't overly impressed with the appointment of Alex Rae but I think that is more a reflection of how dissullusioned I have become with the buddies in the last few years as the match day experience at St Mirren Park has been brutal. Only missed 3 home games last season all of which were victories so don't think I have seen a home league win for 18 months or more now. :-(

With low expectations then maybe Rae and Farrell will come good and bring some decent football and enjoyable match day experience to St Mirren Park. They strike me as very much in the Gus and Andy mould so hopefully they can lead us back to the top flight.

Interesting times whatever happens.

This thread has became a bit heated at times in the last few days. Hopefully everyone can make up and look forward to a better 2016 than 2015 was. ;-)

COYS!

Wasn't overly impressed with the appointment of Alex Rae but I think that is more a reflection of how dissullusioned I have become with the buddies in the last few years as the match day experience at St Mirren Park has been brutal. Only missed 3 home games last season all of which were victories so don't think I have seen a home league win for 18 months or more now. :-(

With low expectations then maybe Rae and Farrell will come good and bring some decent football and enjoyable match day experience to St Mirren Park. They strike me as very much in the Gus and Andy mould so hopefully they can lead us back to the top flight.

This thread has became a bit heated at times in the last few days. Hopefully everyone can make up and look forward to a better 2016 than 2015 was. ;-)

COYS!

Same boat as me bud! Missed three home games last year.

Looked back and the last time I saw us win was at home to County in April/May 2014...

COYS!

Nothing wrong with a bit of heated discussion, but looking back it really has been arguing mostly about utterly pointless stuff.

I've more than played my part in that but I'm going to try hard to stay away from who said what type nonsense. Hopefully we can all get back to arguing about who is the best left back at the club and why they haven't put up the Hall of Fame boards.

Nothing wrong with a bit of heated discussion, but looking back it really has been arguing mostly about utterly pointless stuff.

I've more than played my part in that but I'm going to try hard to stay away from who said what type nonsense. Hopefully we can all get back to arguing about who is the best left back at the club and why they haven't put up the Hall of Fame boards.

STILL shit-stirring, I see?!?!? :angry:

I approve. :)