The Alex Rae And David Farrell Appreciation Thread

shull

To be a good manager (at anything) you have got to be a good communicator and a good people person (*). You have got to be articulate and be able to inspire and motivate everyone in your organisation. Danny had it, Craig didn't, Teale had it but didn't get too much of a chance to use it and Murray certainly did not have it.

From what I can see of Rae he already has it. If he can bring the fans on board then maybe we can all be united behind the Club and where we are going. Maybe some open training sessions over the holidays where kids can get photos and autographs. Maybe a Q&A session with the new Manager. A 'new strip at Christmas' signing session. Just get the fans on board as well - communicate with them.

I was listening to someone talking about Leicester and their phenomenal season and they commented that when you visit the Club the feel-good factor is tangible. Everyone is behind what they are doing (and I know winning games helps) but feel-good can get you through rough times.

* I remember reading a report from Harvard from a few years ago and the most successful lawyers that graduated over a 5 or 10 year period were not the ones who had the first class Honours but the ones who were popular with their peers and had great people skills even if they just scraped through their degree. And I heard a talk by a guy took over a University in America that was falling apart with high drop-outs and low staff morale. He made a policy decision that every new job was open to anyone whether they had the correct qualifications or not (within reason of course). He said he could train people-persons to learn new skills but could not train everyone to be a people-person. Student intake rocketed as well as staff retention.

PS I am available for consultancy Alex :)

To be a good manager (at anything) you have got to be a good communicator and a good people person (*). You have got to be articulate and be able to inspire and motivate everyone in your organisation. Danny had it, Craig didn't, Teale had it but didn't get too much of a chance to use it and Murray certainly did not have it.

From what I can see of Rae he already has it. If he can bring the fans on board then maybe we can all be united behind the Club and where we are going. Maybe some open training sessions over the holidays where kids can get photos and autographs. Maybe a Q&A session with the new Manager. A 'new strip at Christmas' signing session. Just get the fans on board as well - communicate with them.

I was listening to someone talking about Leicester and their phenomenal season and they commented that when you visit the Club the feel-good factor is tangible. Everyone is behind what they are doing (and I know winning games helps) but feel-good can get you through rough times.

* I remember reading a report from Harvard from a few years ago and the most successful lawyers that graduated over a 5 or 10 year period were not the ones who had the first class Honours but the ones who were popular with their peers and had great people skills even if they just scraped through their degree. And I heard a talk by a guy took over a University in America that was falling apart with high drop-outs and low staff morale. He made a policy decision that every new job was open to anyone whether they had the correct qualifications or not (within reason of course). He said he could train people-persons to learn new skills but could not train everyone to be a people-person. Student intake rocketed as well as staff retention.

PS I am available for consultancy Alex :)

Or to sum up, get the blend right, the rest follows.

• 2 weeks later...

2 wins from 3 games in the league. Beats 2 in 16 with Murray.

Huge stride forwards, even with the same squad. BUT give the guy a real chance to bring in some better players please please. At least the team are now trying and much better organised - a wee bit more creation of chances and goal scoring is very much needed than is in our current squad.

Thank you to AR for bringing back some optimism and victories that do not come along with every blue moon!!!

Edited by Sweeper07

It's early days. I was one of those who predicted Rae would be a success - a relatively easy prediction to make given that I still believe St Mirren are a better club with better players than 2 wins out of 16 in this division suggested. However it is way, way too early to claim I was right. I watched the game at Alloa and although St Mirren won and secured a shut out that day I thought the performance was absolutely woeful. According to radio reports today from Chick Young....I know, I know.....St Mirren were riding their luck quite heavily today.

Real success would have to come in the form of a prolonged run of good results, a tightening of the defence that despite two shut outs have conceded 4 goals in Rae's three games in charge, and an improvement in the quality of football being churned out for the customer. The test in the next few days will be to see who he brings in, if anyone, to see just how great his and Farrells depth of knowledge of the game is and how good their contact list is.

It's early days. I was one of those who predicted Rae would be a success - a relatively easy prediction to make given that I still believe St Mirren are a better club with better players than 2 wins out of 16 in this division suggested. However it is way, way too early to claim I was right. I watched the game at Alloa and although St Mirren won and secured a shut out that day I thought the performance was absolutely woeful. According to radio reports today from Chick Young....I know, I know.....St Mirren were riding their luck quite heavily today.

Real success would have to come in the form of a prolonged run of good results, a tightening of the defence that despite two shut outs have conceded 4 goals in Rae's three games in charge, and an improvement in the quality of football being churned out for the customer. The test in the next few days will be to see who he brings in, if anyone, to see just how great his and Farrells depth of knowledge of the game is and how good their contact list is.

I can't disagree with anything you've said. Id rather we won ugly, I don't care if it's a deflection of the refs arse in the final minute, but I believe if we can start winning games the confidence will come back. With confidence the players won't be too scared to take a chance or make a mistake. If we can get to that stage and move on and bring in a couple

of players I'm sure there will be happier days ahead.

• 1 month later...

The bit about the lawyers is not surprising. A large part of their job is presentation to an audience. It's not surprising that instantly likeable people who can charm easily will be successful in law. TBH that says more about the rest of society that they value glib personality over substance but it's becoming commonplace.

The bit about the university is odd but they do have a habit of hiring people on their ability to attract funding rather than their teaching ability. Poor teaching will probably be the root cause of the high drop outs. You don't solve that by hiring people without qualifications though so not sure what that's all about.

Most science, technology and maths jobs do require people to have had a degree in a related subject though and this will probably never change. If an employer is not looking for a degree at all then you have to ask serious questions about how challenging that job will be and how quickly you can realistically make an impact.

Edited by oaksoft

Pretty unimpressed so far with Rae. Three defeats in 6 games , including a cup exit at home.Admittedly an improvement on Murray but thats damning with faint praise.Ive only seen one of the matches, against Morton, and was appalled at how bad we were. I noticed that last weeks crowd was the lowest of the season so far, not surprised.

If the task for Rae and his assistant is to escape relegation, then I think they may well achieve that, but entertainment it is not.

Expectation among the fans has been so drastically lowered over the last few seasons that even a couple of victories against Alloa are treated as improvement, lol.Sad days right enough.

I am quite prepared to eat my words if we should go on a run and rise up the league, but I rather doubt it with that goalie and no centre half.

Pretty unimpressed so far with Rae. Three defeats in 6 games , including a cup exit at home.Admittedly an improvement on Murray but thats damning with faint praise.Ive only seen one of the matches, against Morton, and was appalled at how bad we were. I noticed that last weeks crowd was the lowest of the season so far, not surprised.

If the task for Rae and his assistant is to escape relegation, then I think they may well achieve that, but entertainment it is not.

Expectation among the fans has been so drastically lowered over the last few seasons that even a couple of victories against Alloa are treated as improvement, lol.Sad days right enough.

I am quite prepared to eat my words if we should go on a run and rise up the league, but I rather doubt it with that goalie and no centre half.

Sounds like the glass is half empty here . .

There have been 3 wins in his first 6 games and one of them was our first home win of the season, something the previous regime never achieved in almost half a season. If you had gone to the meeting last night you would have heard what Rae and Faz had to say about "entertainment". You would also have heard about their solution to the CF and goalkeeper situation. .

Worth remembering that Rae and Faz didn't get us into the situation we are currently in i.e . , hopefully bottoming out at the end of a long slump, but it is certainly their job to get us out of it and they full well know that if they don't do that, they have no long term future at the Club. .

Your obviously a half empty.

I can't help but be a wee bit sceptical about what is said during the Q&A events. Let's be honest, folk were generally happy with what Murray and Spalding had to say, and look how that turned out.

Spot on, the proof will be in the pudding. The next three games is the big test. This will be when a lot of fans will start to make up their minds

AR & DF has brought back fire, determination and passion which have been seriously lacking this season.

The 11 men who stepped out on the park today showed that they want to play in the black & white stripes and work hard for this club.

Thanks Alex & Faz for making my Saturday's less depressing and for giving the saints support a team to be proud of.

Onwards and Upwards. COYS