Nathan Flanagan

1 hour ago, div said:

Fixed that for you mate!

The Sun says given so if that's a mistake then, for once, it's not me that's wrong!

Going off at a tangent but wonder if Kalvin Orsi will be kept on? Dunno how he played at Queen's Park but one goal in his final game doesn't bode well - although that could make him top scorer in a Gus MacPherson side.

Edited by Stu

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Another coming through from our useless, terrible youth setup. Who'd have thunk it?

I seem to recall a few years go that some geezer on here never shut up about how useless our youth set up was and it was a waste of time and money. Who'd have thunk it right enough? Who was that Bud?

22 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Another coming through from our useless, terrible youth setup. Who'd have thunk it?

Who was the poster who was hyper critical of David Longwell and called the youth setup a failure just a couple of years ago? 

I think that it's obvious that our system has been and continues to be a total success. In the space of two decades we've gone from a club who maybe produced a player good enough for the level we're playing at every two or three years (McGarry, Murray, Lavety) to producing one or two of these types of player consistently every season, guys who are actually getting moves onto bigger clubs. 

There was a time not so long ago (Stephen McGinn first time around) where my biggest worry about losing a youth prospect was the concept of who was going to replace him, I can honestly say that doesn't bother me so much any more as I'm confident we're capable of churning out good players regularly. 

These success stories also bode brilliantly for future youth intake. Why wouldn't the parents of an 11 or 12 year old want their child to come to St Mirren when you look at the chances given to so many young lads and the moves that so many of them have gained as a result? 

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Who was the poster who was hyper critical of David Longwell and called the youth setup a failure just a couple of years ago? 

I think that it's obvious that our system has been and continues to be a total success. In the space of two decades we've gone from a club who maybe produced a player good enough for the level we're playing at every two or three years (McGarry, Murray, Lavety) to producing one or two of these types of player consistently every season, guys who are actually getting moves onto bigger clubs. 

There was a time not so long ago (Stephen McGinn first time around) where my biggest worry about losing a youth prospect was the concept of who was going to replace him, I can honestly say that doesn't bother me so much any more as I'm confident we're capable of churning out good players regularly. 

These success stories also bode brilliantly for future youth intake. Why wouldn't the parents of an 11 or 12 year old want their child to come to St Mirren when you look at the chances given to so many young lads and the moves that so many of them have gained as a result? 

Exactly! Churning out is the right choice of words. In fact it's becoming more likely that a surplus of talent is the danger where we are not able to fulfil the ambitions of our academy graduates due to the numbers. I can't wait to see if my grandkid continues to develop under their stewardship. They are doing a fantastic job from what I see.

Edited by stlucifer

Which he left.
Our youth coaches seem to have helped him develop into a better player.

Yup. They've played an important part in his development. Same goes for guys like Morgan and McAllister who were let go by Rangers. They might not have spent as long in the system as someone like Mallan but our youth academy has clearly helped them.

7 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

The youth system under Longwell was a complete and utter disaster.

You do realise that Flanagan was signed from Hearts? He didn't come through our "academy" at all.

Longwell's "academy" amounted of waiting to see which cast offs from the Old Firm he could sign every season.

3 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

The youth system under Longwell was a complete and utter disaster.

You do realise that Flanagan was signed from Hearts? He didn't come through our "academy" at all.

Longwell's "academy" amounted of waiting to see which cast offs from the Old Firm he could sign every season.

Which in fairness produced some good results. More of an indictment of the Old Firm than Longwell.

4 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

Yeh, getting other clubs cast offs has indeed worked well.

But the "academy" itself hasn't worked.

To be honest I don't know what percentage of the academy players that have broken through to the first team were "home grown" or picked up from other teams but however we source these young players,  our academy certainly does now produce a great pipeline of talent into the first team and thats got to be a good thing?

43 minutes ago, mcdowell76 said:

Yeh, getting other clubs cast offs has indeed worked well.

But the "academy" itself hasn't worked.

But surely taking other teams "castoffs" and teaching them the right skills means our academy IS working. It doesn't matter whether we get them in at 5 or 15. They were being put out of the game and we stepped in and improved them to the extent they ended up in our first team and beyond. All this proves is Longwell saw a player's potential  when others saw failure.

Well done David. Fantastic vision and foresight!

4 hours ago, FTOF said:

Which he left.

Our youth coaches seem to have helped him develop into a better player.

Not what JR said, his time at Annan got him moved to the first team.  I like what the youth coaches do at Ralston and the quality at all age groups they develop, but find it bizarre anyone would praise them for the lads development in this case. 

30 minutes ago, Iamhammer said:

Not what JR said, his time at Annan got him moved to the first team.  I like what the youth coaches do at Ralston and the quality at all age groups they develop, but find it bizarre anyone would praise them for the lads development in this case. 

They brought him through to the level where he could progress even further. Common practice.

31 minutes ago, Iamhammer said:

Who do you think was coaching him when he was Annan?

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Are Kyle McAllister and Kyle Magennis OF cast offs?

Genuine question. I don't know the answer. I know John McGinn wasn't, right enough. That'll be the same John McGinn that Gus MacPherson wrote off:rolleyes:

McAllister was at Rangers, as was Morgan. I think Baird and possibly even McLean were there too.

• 3 weeks later...