The Oscars And Black Actors

shull

Maybe they are just not good enough.

I huvnae seen enough Films to judge.

The black Actors are going to boycott the Event.

it is totally racist against the white actors. If this was other way around there would be uproar, these people need called out for playing race card and being racist to whites...

The thing I don't get is that there is a huge Hispanic and other populations in America, so surely the Academy needs to have rules where if forty candidates for an award are announced, they must guarantee that they will pick a certain percentage of blacks, Hispanics, Asians... Which in my view is an absolute nonsense.

I am not sure where the nature of the protest lies. If the black actors protesting are simply saying there are no black people up for the big award and every year there must be a black face amongst the white faces, then what a load of shite. If however they are saying that this year, there were clearly performances by black actors that the vast majority of people think should have been nominated, but weren't, simply because the actors were black, then that is clearly racist and wrong.

All I have heard is that Will Smith was decent in the American football film 'Concussion'. That's it. Where are these outstanding performances by black actors and in what movies? Also, who from the nominees should have been hooked to make way. IF their protest is actually bigger than simply this year's nominees, and the Academy is a bigoted racist organisation all year long and we don't hear about it, then they clearly have the right to protest by highlighting this year's nominees as a device. Next year though, will the Academy nominate a 'token black actor' who was a bit shit in a shit movie? Again, if the protest is in reality bigger than just highlighting this year's nominees, and they think there should simply be more roles for black actors and more black actors in movies full-stop... Then, are they any better than any whites, Hispanics, Asians or one-legged lesbian vegetarians who also auditioned for any given role.

Maybe they want to see a situation whereby if Daniel Craig chucks it, and Barbara Broccolli is interviewing ten new James Bond candidates, then six can be white, but one MUST be black, one Asian, one Hispanic, and one must be a female?

I would just like to see the best candidate for the job get it. A black Bond wouldn't bother me one bit - if they were a good actor like Craig, who could carry off the role with aplomb.

Edited by pozbaird

Maybe they want to see a situation whereby if Daniel Craig chucks it, and Barbara Broccolli is interviewing ten new James Bond candidates, then six can be white, but one MUST be black, one Asian, one Hispanic, and one must be a female?

Sometimes people see racism where it doesn't exist, but maybe it suits their personal agenda to heighten their public profile. I don't pay much attention to Hollywood / movies so maybe that explains why I had never heard of Jada Smith before this uproar was created. Smacks of attention-seeking.

BTW, why would it be ok for Ms Broccolli to choose his replacement ?? That is blatant vegetable sectarianism. Why not ask Jasper Carrott to attend the interviews ? Or Mr Bean ? Or a famous Swede ? I'm offended !!

Sometimes people see racism where it doesn't exist, but maybe it suits their personal agenda to heighten their public profile. I don't pay much attention to Hollywood / movies so maybe that explains why I had never heard of Jada Smith before this uproar was created. Smacks of attention-seeking.

BTW, why would it be ok for Ms Broccolli to choose his replacement ?? That is blatant vegetable sectarianism. Why not ask Jasper Carrott to attend the interviews ? Or Mr Bean ? Or a famous Swede ? I'm offended !!

That would be a turnip for the books.

Black and minority ethnic actors do not want "positive discrimination", "affirmative action" or "token nominations". the issue for them is that the Oscar voters (around 6,300) are overwhelmingly white older males, and as such, are arguably less likely to acknowledge (or to be fairer, less likely to enjoy) certain performances and movies. This also works against the likes of Tarantino and previously Scorcese, whose movies might be less appealing to a bunch of old white guys.

The current ratio is in fact, 94% white, 2% black, 2% latino, 2% other; the average age, meanwhile is 62, many of whom haven't been involved in making a movie for over 20 years.

What many black and ethnic minority performers would like to see, therefore, is to be better represented in voters, rather than simply be given token nominations.

As for this year, Samuel L Jackson was well worth a nomination for the hateful eight, whilst Spike Lee's movie Chi-Raq might easily have been recognised in several categories.

You simply cannot be this f**king stupid in real life.

Can you?

have an opinion of your own SOFT-COCK, don't need to keep playing to the crowd about how squeaky clean you are, we all know you are a sad pathetic lonely wee man...ur like one of the people who gets invited to a party but nobody gives a flying f**k if u turn up, u really r pathetic....

Good post by the digger which just about says it all but I'll try my best to muddy the waters...............

Oscar's are the subjective choice of Academy of Motion, yada, yada, yada........ and not a scientific choice (although that's somewhere in the title!) and are often, perhaps usually, chosen for reasons outwith the films selected. For instance the digger cites Samuel L. Jackson's (1 nomination, 0 wins) performance in The Hateful Eight as worthy of a nomination and there's no doubt in my mind that it'll be his turn one day, but many of the awards made are obviously the result of sentiment, nostalgia and as I've said Buggins' turn - that's Buggins not Baggins!

The fuss is about black actors/directors/producers etc wanting to ensure they get more nominations and therefore better salaries and find it easier to get funding for their fillums - whether it's justified is a matter of personal opinion and political affiliation but no doubt we'll see the results in the next few years.

Message for pozbaird - Idris Elba was being touted as a possible next James Bond a while back.................

MV5BMjMzNDM4MjYwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDE4

Edited by Bud the Baker

Good post by the digger which just about says it all but I'll try my best to muddy the waters...............

Oscar's are the subjective choice of Academy of Motion, yada, yada, yada........ and not a scientific choice (although that's somewhere in the title!) and are often, perhaps usually, chosen for reasons outwith the films selected. For instance the digger cites Samuel L. Jackson's (1 nomination, 0 wins) performance in The Hateful Eight as worthy of a nomination and there's no doubt in my mind that it'll be his turn one day, but many of the awards made are obviously the result of sentiment, nostalgia and as I've said Buggins' turn - that's Buggins not Baggins!

The fuss is about black actors/directors/producers etc wanting to ensure they get more nominations and therefore better salaries and find it easier to get funding for their fillums - whether it's justified is a matter of personal opinion and political affiliation but no doubt we'll see the results in the next few years.

Message for pozbaird - Idris Elba was being touted as a possible next James Bond a while back.................

Aye, and if he's deemed to be the one best placed to pick up the mantle, and if he's any good, doesn't bother me if he's white, black, orange with pink spots, gay, straight or somewhere in-between. As long as he isn't a Sevco supporter.