Queen Of The South V St Mirren Championship 13/2/16

shull

Perhaps not - but I was hunted down by the pack last week for suggesting that our performances did not reflect our fair run of recent results.

Stop being a drama queen. You were hardly hunted down by the pack.

Most folk on here accept/admit the performances have been poor, but are happy to accept that short term to get points on the board unlike under Murray where performances were poor and we hardly got any points

Both games could have gone either way going by reports.

Two draws = 2 points each.

One draw and one defeat = 3 points each.

I'd have taken that before the games.

Made that point as I was leaving. Both games could easily have been draws and there would have been few complaints. This way we're both a point better off.

Thought we were pretty poor in the first half and extremely lucky Queens missed a sitter after a great save from Langfield. Second half was much better before the ridiculous non-penalty decision. Ref was about to give it, then decided to play advantage even though whoever had the ball still had a fair bit to do to score. What annoyed me even more was twice - just before the penalty and just after - he let us play on a few seconds then pull the play back. Why didn't he do that on that occasion? Kinda ruined us for a bit before we threw a fair bit at them in the last 15 minutes.

Mallan's red card has been coming for a wee while. Was lucky not to be booked before he was then stupidly fouled someone right at the end. Crazy stuff. Great player but he does like a Scholes-esque wild tackle at folk every now and then. Being without him and Watson for next week is a big loss, hopefully Webster is back.

Thought Rae got his subs wrong in terms of the players going off. Cooper was one of the few plus points in the first half and him and Gallagher had done well. Shankland had a shocker and could easily have been hooked with Gallagher moving up top. Thompson was very effective when he came on which, combined with Shankland's performance, will no doubt lead to calls he should start next week. Wouldn't be against dropping Shanks but not convinced starting Thommo is the answer, think playing against a tiring defence might have helped him. Suppose you could always have him in from the off to batter the defence about a bit then bring Shanks on.

EDIT: And well done to the fanny who had a go at McAllister after his first two touches in senior football. "Where the hell is that to?" or something was the shout - made to look even stupider by the fact the ball found someone on the left.

Edited by Stu

Major unlucky today. The penalty decision was a disgrace. No idea how you can get an advantage instead of a pen. Usual bottled it as he was happy to bring it back umpteen times after advantage didn't work on other fouls

Thought subs were crazy. Only 2 players that deserved subbed were shankland and clarkston both were terrible. Thompson offered far more Abd done more in ten minutes than other 2 did. Think thomo deserves another chance. Certainly can't do any less than they two

And final though on mallan. Was actually bullied all day by Kyle Hutton who had him in his back pocket. I don't rate Hutton at all but today he was far superior Minus mallans shooting he is a poor player

It is utter lunacy to have a striker of the quality of Stephen Thompson sitting on his arse and have the consistently underwhelming Shankland running about on the pitch.

Thommo might be slowing down but he does know the way to goal!

The problem today was Shankland wasn't running about on the pitch.

According to Rae's interview the ref didn't see the penalty incident. How the hell not? It was right in front of him! https://soundcloud.com/stmirrenradio/alex-rae-qos-1-0-stm

Edited by Stu

Hopefully tonight you'll hear the recorded post match I did with Rae - but for the penalty claim he said that apparently from what he heard at FT the officals didn't see the Mallen incident and to them it was nothing to do with advantage. As I asked him that it looked like (and thought at the time reporting) the ref decided to play 'an advantage'.

Edit: posted above online now.

Edited by Broadcastcallum

It is utter lunacy to have a striker of the quality of Stephen Thompson sitting on his arse and have the consistently underwhelming Shankland running about on the pitch.

Thommo might be slowing down but he does know the way to goal!

How many goals did Thompson score last season?

We're fcuked if you, or anybody else, thinks Thompson is the answer. bye1.gif

Last 2 seasons 6 goals, 42 appearances, not sure how many as sub.

Aye, he'll save us. lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Edited by faraway saint

How many goals did Thompson score last season?

We're fcuked if you, or anybody else, thinks Thompson is the answer. bye1.gif

Last 2 seasons 6 goals, 42 appearances, not sure how many as sub.

Aye, he'll save us. lol.giflol.giflol.gif

Since he was injured for most of the season he still likely scored more goals than you saw games tongue.png

Stop being a drama queen. You were hardly hunted down by the pack.

Most folk on here accept/admit the performances have been poor, but are happy to accept that short term to get points on the board unlike under Murray where performances were poor and we hardly got any points

Exactly - I was also happy to get the points last week (and the week before) - I was merely making the point that we certainly did not deserve all three. There is a difference between winning "ugly" and doing so by riding our luck.

If we are brutally honest, even Tommy Craig's team are superior to what we are witnessing now.

And that's not Alex Rae's fault.

Edited by northstbuddie

Yeah the ref did see the penalty.

Before I start, it was a penalty, and the ref knows it was one. He knew it right away and he knew it after we messed up the 'advantage'. He messed up and he will know that.

Devils advocate; he gives the penalty, the ball runs through and gets stuck in the net, and we miss the penalty... We are all raging at the ref for not playing the advantage. Just like we were after Carey missed the penalty against Hearts which was given as Nigel scored against them in the SCQF.

Barry's a Paisley fella and a good lad. He is trying to judge the extent of advantage there, and he's judged it wrong. After he's gave the advantage and the shots away he can't bring it back and give the penalty.

He's got it wrong and it's cost us the game. It's happened before and it will happen again.

Edited by TopCat

Hopefully tonight you'll hear the recorded post match I did with Rae - but for the penalty claim he said that apparently from what he heard at FT the officals didn't see the Mallen incident and to them it was nothing to do with advantage. As I asked him that it looked like (and thought at the time reporting) the ref decided to play 'an advantage'.

Edit: posted above online now.

My only conclusion is the referee is lying.

He did see an incident as he raised his whistle to his mouth, there was no other "incident" for him to see that would prompt the raising of the whistle to his mouth. Indeed, for about three strides he started to run in the familiar arch that refs take whilst blowing their whistle and giving a penalty, then didn't blow.

For the referee to say he didn't see it is the only reply he can give if he is not going to admit he was wrong.

The referee is a lair and should not referee at this level again.

Was there and its funny how everyone sees things differently.

Thought Gallagher was terrible all day and should have been hooked earlier. Shankland also poor. For me, Cooper not doing enough either.

Definite stonewall penalty, think we do all agree on that.

Good old fashioned stadium, got a bit of character to it and (gasp) a great playing surface.

Ffs we lost narrowly away to a team in the play off hunt. Win next week and we ate still in that same play off hunt. Yes the football could be better but Rae has mede us competitive and that has dragged us back into the play off mix. This seemed a million miles away under Murray si why the f**k are some total nuggets still moaning. What more can you expect from a season that was blown apart months ago. If Rae can take this squad to within the last couple of weeks of the play offs he deserves a medal. Anyone still moaning about results from here on in is clueless. Staying up was his priority anything better will be a massive bonus.

Thought Rae got his subs wrong in terms of the players going off. Cooper was one of the few plus points in the first half and him and Gallagher had done well.

Further to that, their No.2 got booked for pulling Cooper back with both arms after Cooper had skinned him. At that point my feeling was that we should be sending Cooper straight at the No.2 as often as possible for the rest of the game, knowing that the guy couldn't touch him.

Saints deserved a draw but are still a poor side. I see shoots of recovery and I think the three players signed have improved us. Throw in a fit jim Goodwin and another few hardened pros in the summer and we will be on the right road. This league is physically tough and we need more players who know how to win to be brought in. It's a long shot the playoff but a few results between now and April could see us back in the hunt. Personally I can't see it but rae needs time to get us ready for a right crack at the league next term

Edited by norrie82