Potentially A Proud Day For The Club And Youth Academy?

Disagree

We are shite and having a cnut of a Season.

Nothing to proud of.

We are a club that feeds to feeding teams who then are feeder clubs. Basically our top talent goes like this now

McGinn- Saints- Hibs- Celtic. Southampton- Top 7 in England

McLean has done well, but if he is an International player we are in serious trouble

Edited by DougJamie

Won't try to quote DJ above, as he made a c**t of his post, however....

McLean has been highlighted by McInnes as one of his star performers, in a team that is pushing Celtic for top spot. Celtic being a team with a significantly larger resource base and numerous international players.

A young Scottish based,non-OF player being given a try out for an international place is not serious trouble - it is great news.

I thought I'd posted earlier on the thread but I guess I can't have submitted it. I'm surprised that Strachan has used either of these two whilst leaving Scott Arfield out. It looks like Scotland will now lose Arfield to Canada. Arfield might not be the biggest loss since I think - like McGinn and McLean - that they would still be a long way down the pecking order when it comes to competition but Arfield is a better player than either McLean or McGinn

I thought I'd posted earlier on the thread but I guess I can't have submitted it. I'm surprised that Strachan has used either of these two whilst leaving Scott Arfield out. It looks like Scotland will now lose Arfield to Canada. Arfield might not be the biggest loss since I think - like McGinn and McLean - that they would still be a long way down the pecking order when it comes to competition but Arfield is a better player than either McLean or McGinn

The continuing omission of Arfield is bizarre. I also don't understand why Tom Cairney at Fulham is in the squad. And in a different position you have the weirdness with McCormack and Rhodes.

Arfield has committed his international future to Canada.

Arfield said himself last month that he wanted to play for Scotland. The opportunity arose for him to be considered for the Canadian squad and he had a long chat with Strachan who apparently indicated he should play for Canada. As with Stu I find it strange he'd let Arfield walk away and then select McLean and McGinn. You'd have to assume all three must be well down the pecking order so far as Strachan is concerned.

There's your answer then.

Good player... But Strachan has his preferred experienced players.

He will be wanting to introduce the next generation to the squad and prepare them.

McLean and McGinn are young enough that if they step up and are comfortable in the squad at training, they could become squad or team players for a decade.

That's how Strachan works.

I can't really understand all the McLean and McGinn bashing.

Both are among the finest players in their agegroup and if they continue their development, will almost certainly go on to play for the Scotland full team.

There's your answer then.

Good player... But Strachan has his preferred experienced players.

He will be wanting to introduce the next generation to the squad and prepare them.

McLean and McGinn are young enough that if they step up and are comfortable in the squad at training, they could become squad or team players for a decade.

That's how Strachan works.

I can't really understand all the McLean and McGinn bashing.

Both are among the finest players in their agegroup and if they continue their development, will almost certainly go on to play for the Scotland full team.

Gordon Greer......that tells you everything you need to know about this squad. He's only played one game for Brighton since the turn of the year, yet in this squad the 35 year old is named captain. :rolleyes:

I think what we'll see with these squads if that the McGinn and McLean will be there to carry hampers. Liam Bridcutts had a f**king horrendous season so far but I'll venture that he'll be partnering Murphy and Brown in midfield with McGinn on the bench.

The squads smack of a manager struggling to get players who want to play in these friendlies and struggling to convince managers to let players take part.

Gordon Greer......that tells you everything you need to know about this squad. He's only played one game for Brighton since the turn of the year, yet in this squad the 35 year old is named captain. :rolleyes:

I think what we'll see with these squads if that the McGinn and McLean will be there to carry hampers. Liam Bridcutts had a f**king horrendous season so far but I'll venture that he'll be partnering Murphy and Brown in midfield with McGinn on the bench.

The squads smack of a manager struggling to get players who want to play in these friendlies and struggling to convince managers to let players take part.

I agree with your last paragraph to an extent.

For me, Strachan knows his core 18/20 of the squad. All the extra call ups here are about seeing who's comfortable in making the step up.

After finishing 4th in the last campaign, I can't understand how Strachan kept his job.

As for the squad he's picked, he can only pick what is available.

And what I available is rank rotten.

Gordon Greer, James Forest, Tony Watt.

FFS

Shinnie would have been a better pick than any of them, and he didn't get selected for either squad. It isn't as simple as who is available.

Shinnie would have been a better pick than any of them, and he didn't get selected for either squad. It isn't as simple as who is available.

Correct, it isn't simple at all.

A reminder this squad is for friendly games, I doubt some of the more obscure players selected will be in the qualifiers, unless they shine, which is the purpose of friendlies.

I came across a hilariously angry thread on Facebook from Rangers supporters who were up in arms.

It did make me laugh.