Two Doors Down

shull

Not watched last night's double bill yet. Saving it for later in the week when I can relax with a glass of something.

I really enjoy it. Some laugh out loud stuff, but also some pretty subtle bits in there to give it a good blend. A huge bonus is the absence of canned or recorded laughter. I'm almost at the point where I can't watch anything that prompts me to laugh.

The programme has well developed characters. I thought from the first episode that it was a grower. The characters have grown more rounded over time. I appreciate that many people won't find it funny, but suspect that some might be missing the character development due to dipping in and out or not persevering beyond their first 10 minute viewing.

Edited by Drew

Not written on the thread before now, but been interesting to read the mixed opinions. Personally I think it's brilliant. I totally appreciate that both Elaine C. Smith and Jonathan Watson can be like marmite, and indeed in some previous things they've done I've not been keen, but in Two Doors Down I think they've both (along with all of the rest of the cast) played a blinder!

• 10 months later...

Been watching recordings of Series 2 in the past few days.

An absolutely outstanding Scottish comedy.

All the characters are brilliant.

Is really up there now with Rab C. ,  Still Game and the Vital Spark ( Roddy McMillan )

As usual with comedy being so subjective, it proves to be extremely divisive when people offer opinions on its level of humour.

For instance I can't understand how Michael McIntyre gets a gig on "prime time" Saturday night TV. I've had Duke of Argyles that have proved to be more amusing than him.

I find Two Doors down a bit hit and miss, but there are, IMO, some genuine laugh out loud moments even if the characters don't all work for me. A bit like Scot Squad.

However, they are still more amusing than some of the abject shite that passes itself off as "comedy" commissioned by the BBC/ITV. W1A and the new porridge being prime examples of "comedy" that falls into the aforementioned category. 

Edited by FTOF

For me Sitcoms have a shelflife, after a coupla series they become more sit and less com, for me Only Fools & Horses went on waaaaaay to long as did Rab C. Nesbitt although that was never as funny after the departure of the feral Wee Burny, the latest fave of mine to fall into this trap is The Big Bang Thepry.

My favourite Sitcoms with the exception of Dad's Army all lasted 3/4 series and left at their peak. In no particular order my Top 5 is

Dad's Army

Father Ted

Fawlty Towers

Porridge

The Young Ones

Edit - I've never seen TTD but I'll give it a try.............

Edited by Bud the Baker

16 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

For me Sitcoms have a shelflife, after a coupla series they become more sit and less com, for me Only Fools & Horses went on waaaaaay to long as did Rab C. Nesbitt although that was never as funny after the departure of the feral Wee Burny  and The Big Bang Thepry.

My favourite Sitcoms with the exception of Dad's Army all lasted 3/4 series and left at their peak. In no particular order my Top 5 is

Dad's Army

Father Ted

Fawlty Towers

Porridge

The Young Ones

Not a bad list, excepting of course the young ones, Thatcher era braindead urine.

Although socially unacceptable these days the Alf Garnett sit coms were very good at the time.  Like Gary Glitter music we really don't like it anymore but at the time!!!!!

36 minutes ago, TediousTom said:

Not a bad list, excepting of course the young ones, Thatcher era braindead urine.

Although socially unacceptable these days the Alf Garnett sit coms were very good at the time.  Like Gary Glitter music we really don't like it anymore but at the time!!!!!

There's a difference between what is deemed unacceptable these days like Till Death, Love Thy Neighbour, the NF episode of The Proffesionals, Boney etc. due to changes in taste & GG who would still be regarded as an old trouper (sp?) and his music still played if he hadn't been convicted of child molestation.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Mellow Monday continues.  :D

In total agreement with BTB. 

Wee Burney stole the Show. 

Most (apart from Gash) were great in the Series. 

But the Burney character was my favourite by miles. 

Same with Still Game. Main 2 characters are good. But not as good as Winston or a couple of the others. 

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

There's a difference between what is deemed unacceptable these days like Till Death, Love Thy Neighbour, the NF episode of The Proffesionals, Boney etc. due to changes in taste & GG who would still be regarded as an old trouper (sp?) and his music still played if he hadn't been convicted of child molestation.

Well yes I agree......I was just making a point.

Really didn't like the young ones.  To the Manor Born was good in it's day as was the likely lads (and whatever happened to the likely lads).  Another good un was "only when I laugh" best remembered these days for the theme song H.A.P.P.Y the tune of which will be familiar to our younger forum user's who may chant "Saint Murrn till I die" along to it.

8 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

For me Sitcoms have a shelflife, after a coupla series they become more sit and less com, for me Only Fools & Horses went on waaaaaay to long as did Rab C. Nesbitt although that was never as funny after the departure of the feral Wee Burny, the latest fave of mine to fall into this trap is The Big Bang Thepry.

Dad's Army

Father Ted

Fawlty Towers

Porridge

The Young Ones

Edit - I've never seen TTD but I'll give it a try.............

Good choice.

Of the more recent efforts I have to say that Still Game is my favourite by miles.

Think my favourite of all time has to be a toss up between Father Ted and Black Adder.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...