Sean Kelly?

11 minutes ago, dave.j said:

Played at Centre Half...

" Our number 6 did shout a lot and try to get our defence moving up the field."

"Trialist no 6 looked pretty good, won most challenges but isn't a massive lad."

"I thought the Trialist No 6 looked good. Gotta give the lad some latitude playing with virtual strangers. Natural left sided and looked comfortable on the ball." 

" Agree about no.6 looked comfortable all game"

He is a decent left sided centre half

Not so as a left back as he looked awkward against wee fast wide men

He was a decent goal threat as well

He will play better in a bigger standard of league where teams play fitba

The rough and tumble of the championship not suited to his game

Yeah he was a frequent target for the boo boys here, but the reality is he was a very good young player.

Not surprised to see him attract the interest of Premier League clubs. Hope he gets a deal and continues his development, just a shame it won't be at St Mirren.

Kelly is a decent centre half and I reckon would be a decent left sided midfielder given a chance. Unfortunately we played him in his weakest position of full back but he still managed playing a year at premiership level. Not surprised Thistle looking at him. All the best Sean.

One of the few players Rae binned that can be aggrieved he got released. Don't think he really got a fair shot under him - there was talk he was injured but dunno how true that was.

Guessing Rae sees Irvine as a better option at leftback and when it comes to centre halfs he, like Benny Hill in the Italian Job, likes them big.

11 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Hope Kelly gets a deal will be a step up from Saints in lots of ways. Boo boys Kelly should stick a single finger up at you.

Who booed at him? 

He got plenty support. 

Was down to him to make a good impression. 

He didn't.

So ta ta not boo boo  

There was tittle tattle about him not enjoying playing and potentially chucking the game altogether.
It seems that might have been off the mark.

I  wanted Sean to do well, but he was too inconsistent, and drifted out of games. He was capable of effective bursts from the back, but was neither a solid enough defender, nor a consistent enough attacking full back in my view.

Good luck to him, though.

Edited by Drew

I thought he looked great when he initially broke into the first team. But, over time, we saw guys like Naismith, Baird, Mallan, Morgan and a few others make more progress than he did. I would have given him a short while more to prove himself, but it's not up to me.

We might have missed out on a decent player, but decent is probably the extent of it.

A lower end premiership player at his best, but more likely a run of the mill championship player.

Not strong enough to be a CH, and as others have mentioned, his positional sense leaves him a bit lacking for LB.

I know for a fact that he was considering a life outside of full time football.

I'd be very surprised if Partick signed him.

Good player and one who shouldn't have been released. Would be good to see him do well elsewhere. Wimbledon would be a step up from us in terms of quality and probably more money.

Got a lot of stick which was slightly baffling on various fora and at games. Good luck to the boy.

• 2 weeks later...

It was patently obvious to most fans that Sean was/is better than a lot of players that were retained or brought in - we possibly assumed that there was something going on behind the scenes that explained the baffling decision to let him go. As previously stated by many on here he would have contributed much to the Saints' cause either at centre half or left midfield.

Best of luck at Wimbledon Sean.

14 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

It was patently obvious to most fans that Sean was/is better than a lot of players that were retained or brought in - we possibly assumed that there was something going on behind the scenes that explained the baffling decision to let him go. As previously stated by many on here he would have contributed much to the Saints' cause either at centre half or left midfield.

Best of luck at Wimbledon Sean.

Always liked him, good footballer, very good left foot and an atheltic boy. Just don't think Rae rated him, which is his prerogative. Great to see him get a good move. Best of luck to him.