The Club Shop

Shirts are washed in the washing machine mate. I've never seen anything getting hand washed in my house, not even the dog.

I do know that my son has about 50 football shirts and they go in the washing machine and the tumble drier every week without any problem.

My Saints shirt of last season was washed twice. And it was f**ked.

Yett I've a dozen older Saints tops that have been washed hundreds of times, and Scotland shirts, and they are all fine.

I will take it upon myself to point out the cruelty issue surrounding the dog :P

Shirts are washed in the washing machine mate. I've never seen anything getting hand washed in my house, not even the dog.

I do know that my son has about 50 football shirts and they go in the washing machine and the tumble drier every week without any problem.

My Saints shirt of last season was washed twice. And it was f**ked.

Yett I've a dozen older Saints tops that have been washed hundreds of times, and Scotland shirts, and they are all fine.

Ach well, my Gok Wan(k) advice, which works for me is that I never wash my football shirts or NFL jerseys in the machine. Over the years, on this forum, there have been tales of sponsor logos coming off, sleeve patch graphics coming off, colour bleed, faded logos, the works. I don't wear many fitba' tops these days, but my NFL jerseys are the same deal, so I just turn them inside-out, pour a capful of Tesco handwash in the bath, run cool water, slosh them around gently by hand, leave for half an hour, rinse under the cold tap and then place over a wee clothes horse thingy in the bath to take the weight while they drip-dry so they don't stretch. When the excess water has run off, stick a coat-hanger in and hang them off a hook somewhere to dry completely. They don't even need ironed.

I haven't lost a shirt in battle yet. Not even a sponsor logo or sleeve patch has been injured in the process. phone.gif

Edited by pozbaird

Ach well, my Gok Wan(k) advice, which works for me is that I never wash my football shirts or NFL jerseys in the machine. Over the years, on this forum, there have been tales of sponsor logos coming off, sleeve patch graphics coming off, colour bleed, faded logos, the works. I don't wear many fitba' tops these days, but my NFL jerseys are the same deal, so I just turn them inside-out, pour a capful of Tesco handwash in the bath, run cool water, slosh them around gently by hand, leave for half an hour, rinse under the cold tap and then place over a wee clothes horse thingy in the bath to take the weight while they drip-dry so they don't stretch. When the excess water has run off, stick a coat-hanger in and hang them off a hook somewhere to dry completely. They don't even need ironed.

I haven't lost a shirt in battle yet. Not even a sponsor logo or sleeve patch has been injured in the process. phone.gif

You must be single to get away with that. Any male taking that amount of time over a sports shirt would get hours of earache about why the hoovering, cooking or cleaning gets less attention. Edited by TsuMirren

You must be singe to get away with that. Any male taking that amount of time over a sports shirt would get hours of earache about why the hoovering, cooking or cleaning gets less attention.

Well, £70 for my John Elway 7 Broncos retro jersey, means I don't mind taking a few minutes to spare it the unknown fate that may await it in the washing machine! If I'd paid £55 for the new Scotland shirt, bloody sure I wouldn't be risking it with the pish-stained pants I wore at the 2010 League Cup Final.

Football tops should never go in the tumble dryer - that's madness. Apart from anything else the way companies apply the sponsors logo is to apply heat to a sticker. Applying more heat to the same sticker isn't going to have a very positive effect. But the idea that they should be hand washed is absurd and ridiculous too. Can you imagine the poor parent stuck with washing 16 full kits after their little darling brought home the team strips having played in their latest match down at the local bog pit - which is just about any council run grass park at this time of year - trying to get all those stains out....by hand!

I've never understood the desire to design your own kit. The big brands spend large sums of money hiring in "fashion designers" to create their kit collections for each new season. The idea that some fat football fan who plods around wearing his football socks with his Jesus sandles, or one of those spotty kids wearing too skin tight denims that don't go over their arse often revealing their heavily skidded pants can do a better job is lunacy.

When I first got involved with the kids team I remember a sponsor giving me a cheque for £750 to buy a new set of kits for our team and back then we had no deal with any one company. I checked around the internet and found a fantastic strip in our club colours in one of the manufactures brochures. It was a Hummel kit and it just so happened that at that time St Mirren were also wearing Hummel. I contacted AWP and he supplied the kid for our lads and it was a cracker. It washed beautifully, kept it's shape and it looked smart as anything compared to a lot of kits around our leagues. At the same time a family friend bought my youngest son a St Mirren kit. First wash one of the chevrons came off. I took it to AWP and he said they were getting loads of problems like this. I asked why and he explained that the kit our club bought was off the peg - made for the mass market in Denmark by a Danish manufacturer. The kit St Mirren were wearing was being made in a factory that wasn't owned by Hummel out in the far east if I remember correctly in what I would assume was one of those sweatshop type places. And therein is the problem for a club like St Mirren. If they insist on being bespoke the sales volumes are always going to be so low that the kit is likely to be poor quality shite, most likely done in just one shipment before the season starts, and if the stockist doesn't get the volumes exactly right you land up with stocking issues, where kits aren't available.

Football tops should never go in the tumble dryer - that's madness. Apart from anything else the way companies apply the sponsors logo is to apply heat to a sticker. Applying more heat to the same sticker isn't going to have a very positive effect. But the idea that they should be hand washed is absurd and ridiculous too. Can you imagine the poor parent stuck with washing 16 full kits after their little darling brought home the team strips having played in their latest match down at the local bog pit - which is just about any council run grass park at this time of year - trying to get all those stains out....by hand!

I've never understood the desire to design your own kit. The big brands spend large sums of money hiring in "fashion designers" to create their kit collections for each new season. The idea that some fat football fan who plods around wearing his football socks with his Jesus sandles, or one of those spotty kids wearing too skin tight denims that don't go over their arse often revealing their heavily skidded pants can do a better job is lunacy.

When I first got involved with the kids team I remember a sponsor giving me a cheque for £750 to buy a new set of kits for our team and back then we had no deal with any one company. I checked around the internet and found a fantastic strip in our club colours in one of the manufactures brochures. It was a Hummel kit and it just so happened that at that time St Mirren were also wearing Hummel. I contacted AWP and he supplied the kid for our lads and it was a cracker. It washed beautifully, kept it's shape and it looked smart as anything compared to a lot of kits around our leagues. At the same time a family friend bought my youngest son a St Mirren kit. First wash one of the chevrons came off. I took it to AWP and he said they were getting loads of problems like this. I asked why and he explained that the kit our club bought was off the peg - made for the mass market in Denmark by a Danish manufacturer. The kit St Mirren were wearing was being made in a factory that wasn't owned by Hummel out in the far east if I remember correctly in what I would assume was one of those sweatshop type places. And therein is the problem for a club like St Mirren. If they insist on being bespoke the sales volumes are always going to be so low that the kit is likely to be poor quality shite, most likely done in just one shipment before the season starts, and if the stockist doesn't get the volumes exactly right you land up with stocking issues, where kits aren't available.

No-one bite. Not worth it.

No-one bite. Not worth it.

He's right in his first paragraph though. I've never put a football shirt in the dryer and shirts should be capable of being bunged in the wash and not falling apart, although aside from the 135th anniversary kit I've had no real issues with JD stuff.

The rest is just his usual Rupert Pupkin/Walter Mitty/Donald Trump rambling nonsense.

He's right in his first paragraph though. I've never put a football shirt in the dryer and shirts should be capable of being bunged in the wash and not falling apart, although aside from the 135th anniversary kit I've had no real issues with JD stuff.

The rest is just his usual Rupert Pupkin/Walter Mitty/Donald Trump rambling nonsense.

Yes, they should be capable of being bunged in the wash, but clearly, they are mischevious polyester basturts who like nothing better than to piss off their human owners during the spin cycle process.