Buy The Buds

buddiecat

What steps are in place in the next few days to ensure that this bid has as much publicity as possible in order to try and influence those who may be swaying either way and those who for one reason or another, haven't gotten round to signing up yet?

I sincerely hope we don't get to a stage where there is 3 days and 100 sign ups needed and then the campaign starts to panic and get publicity. This really should be getting mainstream national media attention just now. Contacting of former players and staff, those who may love down south or abroad, flyers around the town.

It's now at a stage where every single sign up is crucial.

'Steps' as you say are in place to push on for 1000 sign ups, which if all pans out as planned should give enough incentive to those undecided to sign on the dotted line. If Hibs and Sevco fans everywhere could just stay off the pitch for a bit local/national media should get the word out.

'Steps' as you say are in place to push on for 1000 sign ups, which if all pans out as planned should give enough incentive to those undecided to sign on the dotted line. If Hibs and Sevco fans everywhere could just stay off the pitch for a bit local/national media should get the word out.

When the Herald ran a recent interview with GLS about the bid that interview wasn't listed in their top 10 football stories that day!

When the Herald ran a recent interview with GLS about the bid that interview wasn't listed in their top 10 football stories that day!

And there is the issue in a nutshell!

We dont have a sectarian/bigoted following, we pay our taxes and bills, the club isnae gonna die, our fans know how to behave, they have had this story from us a few times before....

You're just being a big flouncing drama queen.

In my opinion....

This is blatant retaliation for all the times he's called you a drama queen.

Bet you've waited a long time for the opportunity.

PS I agree with you.

The Media are more interested in 2 sectarian Under 20 teams competing in a minor Cup.

I think on the day in question they were more interested in stories from long-retired ex-OF players speculating about Brendan Rodgers v Mark-I-may-be-off Warbs and multi-million pound transfer warchests and, oh, Joey Barton.

I think the powers that be will go with 800 plus so, no I have doubted 1000 will sign up but it will probably go ahead.

You need to remember , the 1000 is / was a target, not a deal breaker. Approx 15% of sign ups have gone for the £25 pledge which will equate to about the same money overall.

That said , i still think we will see a last week surge which will get the bid to or close to the target.

I feel confident on SMiSA's behalf - if you look at the 10000hours archive and see what they achieved in the final 48 hours (also in June) then I think getting the remaining 219 sign-ups is quite feasible and to repeat myself the likely outcome.

You need to remember , the 1000 is / was a target, not a deal breaker. Approx 15% of sign ups have gone for the £25 pledge which will equate to about the same money overall.

That said , i still think we will see a last week surge which will get the bid to or close to the target.

I'm aware this touted 1000 was a target and, surely, there would also have been a number of £25 sign ups factored into the targeted cash figure.

Anyhow, not a real issue as I believe anywhere above 800 will be enough to get the go ahead.

Answers to a few questions or potential questions. What about drop off in members? How do we cope with that?

We have worked out a detailed set of cashflow projections and they factor in various scenarios. We have pitched the target of 1,000 members deliberately high for a reason – we wanted a built-in safety net against drop-off in members. We should also bear in mind numbers could just as easily go up as well as down – maybe if fans who don’t sign up see those who do getting to shape the club’s future they will want to join. In that case we would meet our commitments quicker. But ultimately if we do this it will be in the hands of the fans to stay the distance and make sure it succeeds. It can only fail if you the fans let it. Why would they?

What if we don’t get 1,000 members by the target? Is the deal off?

Our projections suggest 1,000 is the number we need for the deal to be comfortable. It could be done with less but do we want to? We’ve been clear on target. If we fail to hit that by 19 June we would have to question whether St Mirren fans really have the appetite for this. Not really an option to extend the deadline as the consortium want the deal done this summer. So the likelihood is if we fail to hit 1,000 we would assume St Mirren fans don’t want fan ownership and pull the plug on the deal. People would have the option to cancel their payment. At that point, we lose control over what happens next. There will only be one chance at this, let’s not be left with any regrets.

How will this deal actually move the club forward?

The current board deserve massive credit but they are tired. The club is stale and needs new energy and ideas. Gordon and a new board will provide that. They will work with business and community to develop new income streams. They won’t be splashing massive cash but is that what people want? Where exactly has that ever worked out well in Scottish football? The success stories are the small well-run ones who spend wisely. Bear in mind SMISA will have 1,000 x £2 per month = £24,000 a year. Members will be able to spend their own money wherever they think it will make biggest difference. That won’t be part of main club budget, it will be a bonus.

I’m being asked to pay more than £1,400 over ten years. What do I get for that?

You get a vote on big issues affecting our club and you get to help shape the future of St Mirren. You get the knowledge that the future of our club will be controlled by the people who care for it most. You get the knowledge that all the experiences you have had, the places you have been, the friends you make, the family connections, will all be preserved for the next generation and the one after that to do the same. Do this and we own the future. Don’t and we put all of that at risk. The cost of a pint a week is a small price to pay.

How will my £2 per month be spent?

Ultimately the members will decide. We would have time to work out the exact process. But as a suggestion we expect the SMISA committee would meet with Gordon/Tony to establish where they felt club needed extra help. Would also invite suggestions from members. Committee could then compile all of that into list of options and ask members to vote on.

You can’t let the fans run the club, you need people who know what they are doing

At stage one the club would be run by Gordon. He will invite others on to the board with expertise and resources to take the club forward. The SMiSA director will be elected by the members – up to them to elect someone suitably qualified and replace them if they choose.

For stage two there will be a gradual transition where the fans have years to gain experience of running the club before taking the reins. There is a difference between the fans owning the club and the fans running the club. The fans own Barcelona, but they don’t run it, the president they elect does. It will be up to the members to make sure the people running the club have the skills to do so.

How can the fans fund running of the club and what if it needs financial help?

For years St Mirren has been run on a break-even basis and under Gordon it will continue to be so. But as time goes on and SMiSA accumulates more funds, the trust will be in a position to make interest-free loans to the club to help it get through cashflow difficulties or to fund investment in facilities (for example, the Airdome).

10,000 Hours tried this and it didn’t work, how will this be different?

Unlike 10,000 Hours we don’t have to raise all the money ourselves. Although Gordon was involved there, he wasn’t funding it, he is here. The sums are less and we have years to raise the money. Also 10,000 Hours needed to create a fan ownership structure from day one, we have years to make a smooth transition

Think media coverage of the bid apart from the Herald interview with Gordon and a few other bits with PDE and others has been poor. That works both ways - the media should be more open minded to realise there's more to life than the old firm and give coverage to a positive news story. But also SMISA and Gordon need to be a bit more pushy and do the work for the lazy journos, hold press conferences or whatever to make sure the bid gets more attention. If you're trying to get publicity for something you sometimes have to be more proactive. People aren't always going to come to you.

I'm aware this touted 1000 was a target and, surely, there would also have been a number of £25 sign ups factored into the targeted cash figure.

Anyhow, not a real issue as I believe anywhere above 800 will be enough to get the go ahead.

I agree.

What steps are in place in the next few days to ensure that this bid has as much publicity as possible in order to try and influence those who may be swaying either way and those who for one reason or another, haven't gotten round to signing up yet?

I sincerely hope we don't get to a stage where there is 3 days and 100 sign ups needed and then the campaign starts to panic and get publicity. This really should be getting mainstream national media attention just now. Contacting of former players and staff, those who may love down south or abroad, flyers around the town.

It's now at a stage where every single sign up is crucial.

If it gets to 3 days to go and 100 needed, I will sign up for another 12 quid...

I know a few who will sign up for a first 12 quid if it gets to that stage, so I think if they break 900 the last 100 will come quite quickly.

Anyway, it's going to be close