Challenge Cup

1 hour ago, HSS said:

Cheers HSS it sounds like an even more exciting game than I remember. The goal wasn't just a cracker it was obviously a nail biting last minute winner too. I note the attendance was recorded as only 14839 in a Celtic league winning season. I heard all the stories and rumours about the biscuit tin mentality of the celtic board and the stories of under reporting the crowd to avoid tax. their average attendance last season was 44614. In the September game at Ibrox that year there were 30,000 fans for the St mirren fixture. there is no way that back in the 80's when football was much more popular only 15 thousand turned up for a Celtic game when there was still everything to play for.. Maybe my memory is distorted.

1 hour ago, HSS said:

Cracking site. HSS I enjoyed browsing through the old programs and refreshing my distorted memory. Cheers.

14 minutes ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Cracking site. HSS I enjoyed browsing through the old programs and refreshing my distorted memory. Cheers.

One of favourite sites on the internet mate.Have you looked back to some of the Friendlies we played in England,particularly in the 50's.

3 hours ago, HSS said:

One of favourite sites on the internet mate.Have you looked back to some of the Friendlies we played in England,particularly in the 50's.

Not yet but I will. Still looking at the 70's and reminiscing about some of my early days at love Street. Found the program for a thread I started about Brian Third scoring against meadowbank. Again it was a last minute wonder in the 89th minute. I had a lot of the programs from 72-84 but I think I forgot to lift them in my last house move. Hope not. I'll need to check the boxes in the attic. Brilliant site. Thanks for the pointer.

19 hours ago, East Lothian Saint said:

Thank goodness for that. I see your top man is Alex Beckett. He scored a screamer in a  2-0 win over Celtic at Park head in the 80's. (not Boring). What did we used to chant

"Alex Beckett

Show him your Leggat

and he will break it."

Great player.

Ah! happy days.

Yes, great player......,.I always get corrected on here with statos............................ so lolas

2-1 Win at Parkhead last minute 25 yarder top corner. That's season our results against Tic 2-1, 2-1 at Tic  3-3 ( and we were 3-1 up with 10 men) and 3-1

What a team we had..................... Living off memories here

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Julian Banjos said:

I see the game is also on the Welsh channel S4C which is HD (on FreeSat anyway).

http://www.s4c.cymru/e_listings.shtml?dt=2017-02-19 

Not only that, I've been told that pressing the red button there, you have a choice of commentaries///including English.

13 minutes ago, Eaglesham saint said:

TNS FC are a strange lot ,I can't find a fans forum anywhere, maybe that's better for them ,no fans slagging off the players:rolleyes:

Probably as they win every week, they have nothing to discuss, 

We on the other hand ...................................

2 minutes ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

Their average attendance of 263 might explain the lack of a forum.

At all their matches about 10% of the people in the stadium are actually playing. 

If that's the case they must have some great sponsorship deals to stay full time. Anybody know who their commercial manager is,..... and his contact details?

57 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

If that's the case they must have some great sponsorship deals to stay full time. Anybody know who their commercial manager is,..... and his contact details?

Due to being near permanent representatives of Welsh football in EUFA competitions they are a lot better financed than a Scottish club with a similar sized average attendance.

I also read on P&B :bag that they are able to offer players employment with local companies so they are far from being a mickey mouse outfit.

They beat Livingston 3-0 away from home in the last round - even top flight clubs in Scotland would have been happy with that scoreline.

Edited by Bud the Baker