Challenge Cup

Mixed emotions for you TC.

Ross' team in the second half produced our best form of the season.

The downer for you is that JR is one game further away from getting the sack. However don't give up hope.

The first half was the 'old Saints' the second was the 'new Saints' perhaps an indication of things to come.

What a slaver [emoji28]

I'm delighted we won and looking forward to the final for the record.

However, unless we do something crazy like get to the Scottish Cup Final... JR will continue to be judged on what he does in the league.

This competition is a nice distraction from our league toils, nothing more.

I think we thought we were playing Ajax in the first half. Far too tentative. Not sure how TNS turned over Forfar and Livi so convincingly as they offered nothing going forward apart from long punts and the 4th goal, with Loy standing alone 8 yards out, was amateur hour. You rarely see anything like that in professional football. 

Was surprised that it was Storie rather than Magennis who went off at HT as I thought Kyle was poor and it was he who gave the ball away for their goal. Much improved in the second half though.

McGinn man of the match without question. So composed, excellent goal and I'm sure he brings the best out of Mallan.

Special word for Stelios as well. Not a guy whose just come to pick up a wage for a few months. Big heart (which is what we need) and a decent player to boot.

I think we thought we were playing Ajax in the first half. Far too tentative. Not sure how TNS turned over Forfar and Livi so convincingly as they offered nothing going forward apart from long punts and the 4th goal, with Loy standing alone 8 yards out, was amateur hour. You rarely see anything like that in professional football. 
Was surprised that it was Storie rather than Magennis who went off at HT as I thought Kyle was poor and it was he who gave the ball away for their goal. Much improved in the second half though.
McGinn man of the match without question. So composed, excellent goal and I'm sure he brings the best out of Mallan.
Special word for Stelios as well. Not a guy whose just come to pick up a wage for a few months. Big heart (which is what we need) and a decent player to boot.

Yes, like the look of Stelios. He plays with his head up as he carries ball forward. Seemed to pick a pass well.

I agree with this. Results wise, selection wise, apparent ability to organise and inspire, ability to influence with shrewd substitutions... he isn't delivering. I haven't seen anything from Jack Ross to suggest he shouldn't be bagged. Nothing. I think he should stay though, because fcuk knows who we'd appoint next from a position in  the third tier, with 'fan ownership' possibly being a factor in even putting off some candidates. Ross is proving to be every bit as shit as Murray. Let's see what he can do in the third tier, because he'll still be here, unless GLS loses the rag and pays him off out of his own Las Vegas property dosh.

Totally disagree Paul.

We were dealing with an unknown quantity in TNS and one full of confidence.

It made absolute sense to play narrow and tight to start with.

Re Morgan... Yep.. Stunning for 20 minutes last week... and poor for half a dozen full matches before that. I reckon it was wise to use him as an impact sub with a point to prove... and so it turned out.

I reckon Jack Ross got it spot on today.

2 hours ago, car-d bud said:

final cant be at an SPL ground. As all teams in lower leagues i`m sure I've read it would be at one of their grounds to ensure all cash stayed in championship club. Year when Sevco played it was at easter road as Hibs were down. Could be Dunfermline or Airdrie and poss easter road

Just as well there is no such thing as the SPL anymore! That was the rule when the SPL and SFL were seperate things, we are now all part of the SPFL so any ground in the country is available.

That is why the 1993 final against Falkirk was at Fir Park, they were all just SFL clubs back then.

Edited by SBS

final cant be at an SPL ground. As all teams in lower leagues i`m sure I've read it would be at one of their grounds to ensure all cash stayed in championship club. Year when Sevco played it was at easter road as Hibs were down. Could be Dunfermline or Airdrie and poss easter road

SPL?Hasn't existed for FOUR seasons now, FFS.

The Rangers v Raith final at Easter Road was the day after we came from behind to beat Motherwell in the final round of games before the split so Hibs weren't even close to being behind. I only remember that as I was visiting my brother in hospital, the TV was on in the ward and I went a bit wild when Baird scored for Raith!

Terrible first half today - as a game and a performance - but much better in the second, although we didn't create a great deal until McGinn scored. Had just finished saying he was head and shoulders above everyone else on the park and he should "have a ping". Glad he did! Hope his injury isn't too bad.

Least said bout the 1st half is best. But Loy was lucky to be still playing in the 2nd half. He was lazy and static the whole half. I lost count how many Ross and Fowler balled at him to close down the centre backs and he ignored them. playing 4 central midfield players is so wrong. Glad he changed it 2nd half. What a difference it made. McGinn and Mallan were superb. Sutton worked so hard closing down. Morgan made a big difference and gave us pace and width. MOM hard one but McGinn for me . to good for championship. class act. But it's a final. Coys.

Awful first half but terrific second half performance from our beloved buds. Stephen McGinn was inspirational today and drove the side onto that victory. It's obvious that he really cares for the club and we are lucky to have him for this relegation dogfight we are in.

We need to play like we did in that second half to have any chance of clawing Ayr back and staying up.