We Can Win League, Says Tony Fitzpatrick

How many honestly thought we would have more than 1,000 fans signed up to buy the buds with more than 3 days to go?

It's right to dream.

Tony was thinking around 25000 sign ups.

Hope it never happens. Those gold 'champions' sleeve patches would just clash with the big Carbrini 'C' patches. Fitzy clearly hasn't thought this one through.

I suppose a more pressing question would be just how we plan to win the league? If we managed to get a talented group of 8-11 players capable of actually doing such a thing, they'd all be sold to Sellik, Sevco or the English Championship before you had time to say 'quadrupled their wages'.

No, love the ambition Fitzy, but take a tablet son.

One of Tony's first footballing experiences was. Alex Ferguson telling him that he wanted to build a team that would not just rival Rangers and Celtic... but surpass them.

Fergie was well on his way to achieving that with a team built around Fitzpatrick who was made Captain at 17.

It it really wrong to believe in bettering oneself?

Did Tony waste his time teaching young kids that by applying themselves, working hard and believing in their dreams that they could change their lives for the better.

Tony doesn't think on the glass being half full or half empty. That is being restricted by normal expectations.

He sees the glass as refillable and after years of negativity it might be a culture shock... but we should embrace it.

Edited by BuddieinEK

One of Tony's first footballing experiences was. Alex Ferguson telling him that he wanted to build a team that would not just rival Rangers and Celtic... but surpass them.

Fergie was well on his way to achieving that with a team built around Fitzpatrick who was made Captain at 17.

It it really wrong to believe in bettering oneself?

Did Tony waste his time teaching young kids that by applying themselves, working hard and believing in their dreams that they could change their lives for the better.

Tony doesn't think on the glass being half full or half empty. That is being restricted by normal expectations.

He sees the glass as refillable and after years of negativity it might be a culture shock... but we should embrace it.

Agree, but... in Fitzy's day, how many years service did we get out of him? How long did we keep a McAvennie type?

How long did Hibs keep a talented squad before half of them headed along the M8 to either Sellik or Sevco!? Brown, Thompson, Whittaker, hunners more....

Hibs couldn't keep em'. We have absolutely no fcuking chance. Unless someone tells me Bosman never happened and Santa Claus exists. St Mirren had a shot - when we finished third and Aberdeen / Dundee United / Hearts had a genuine shot too, with a weak proddy-centric Rangers and a biscuit tin Sellik.

Sorry to be a gloom merchant.. It just isn't going to happen. Unless we are bought by a Sheik Mansoor.

Edited by pozbaird

Agree, but... in Fitzy's day, how many years service did we get out of him? How long did we keep a McAvennie type?

How long did Hibs keep a talented squad before half of them headed along the M8 to either Sellik or Sevco!? Brown, Thompson, Whittaker, hunners more....

Hibs couldn't keep em'. We have absolutely no fcuking chance. Unless someone tells me Bosman never happened and Santa Claus exists. St Mirren had a shot - when we finished third and Aberdeen / Dundee United / Hearts had a genuine shot too, with a weak proddy-centric Rangers and a biscuit tin Sellik.

Sorry to be a gloom merchant.. It just isn't going to happen. Unless we are bought by a Sheik Mansoor.

You are assuming that he means to achieve it by doing what we are currently doing.

Words are cheap.

Its easy to say we can win the SPL in 3 years time but he and everyone in a position to make that happen must come up with a plan and ruthlessly implement it. That last bit we can assume is not currently in place. We therefore should wait to see his plans before deciding whether it is pie in the sky or not. IMO it probably hinges on how many signups we are sitting on in a few years time.

You are assuming that he means to achieve it by doing what we are currently doing.

Words are cheap.

Its easy to say we can win the SPL in 3 years time but he and everyone in a position to make that happen must come up with a plan and ruthlessly implement it. That last bit we can assume is not currently in place. We therefore should wait to see his plans before deciding whether it is pie in the sky or not. IMO it probably hinges on how many signups we are sitting on in a few years time.

Tony doesn't have a plan to win Scotland's top flight in three years. Tony doesn't have a plan to win Scotland's top flight in ten years. You know it, I know it, fcuk sake, Tony knows it.

Away and have a beer and a packet of pork scratchings.

Tony doesn't have a plan to win Scotland's top flight in three years. Tony doesn't have a plan to win Scotland's top flight in ten years. You know it, I know it, fcuk sake, Tony knows it.

Away and have a beer and a packet of pork scratchings.

You might be right but unlike you I am prepared to wait and see before jumping to conclusions.

Evidence first. Conclusions second.

You might be right but unlike you I am prepared to wait and see before jumping to conclusions.

Good on you. Gie's a shout if Tony's ten year plan is like Jimmy Bone's.

Get it fcuking sorted Fitzpatrick! Championees, championees, away, away, away!

Evidence is you know nothing about football.........all your comments on football are proof of that.

Conclusion, you are an absolute "zoomer".

Edited by faraway saint

The Rangers are only 4 years old and they are talking of winning the SPL next season. Nothing wrong with showing ambition. He may sound a bit nuts, but Tonys positivity is what is needed around the club and I am glad he is part of the new era.

If you tell prospective clients for advertising, or new fans that you are happy to accept mid-table Championship or bottom of the SPL, then what kind of ambition are you showing?

One step at a time, great to look to get out of this league this year.

Winning the big league, well there's optimism and likelihood and there is next to no chance we could win that as things stand.

If the OF feck off, well, chances increase.

This is why you are not a sportsman.

Any footballer who genuinely doesnt believe they can win every game doesnt deserve to be successful either.

Seriously what the f**k is the point of having an attitude like that in any competitive sport?

I remember the optimism Ally McLeod generated prior to the 1978 world cup and I was among the 30,000 plus eejits who went to hampden just to see the team off. Unrealistic? Maybe, but the feeling of optimism will stay with me forever. Who cares that we didn't win it, the journey was unforgettable. Go Tony Fitz !!!

Exactly.

Pessimists or "realists" as they call themselves are simply cowards who are afraid to fail.

It bothers me that this has become the default character of Scotland.

That needs to stop.

Edited by oaksoft

I remember the optimism Ally McLeod generated prior to the 1978 world cup and I was among the 30,000 plus eejits who went to hampden just to see the team off. Unrealistic? Maybe, but the feeling of optimism will stay with me forever. Who cares that we didn't win it, the journey was unforgettable. Go Tony Fitz !!!

Not sure it's the same thing mind you.

I too bought into the march wae Ally's army and, strangely enough, wasn't too disappointed when we crashed out. Sickened by Iran, Saddened by Peru but was sent into raptures and once again filled with optimism when that superb third goal went in v Holland. The euphoria surrounding the build up will live long in my memory. I'm still sure McLeod was a great exponent of mass hypnotism given the results before the squad boarded that big metal bird.

Tony isn't really in the same league.

Edited by stlucifer

I'm not knocking Tony Fitz for giving us another Tony Fitz soundbite. Tony's great.

Fcuk it, I was utter shite in today's medal. Out in 40, back in bloody 49. Shat it on the back 9, but you know what, I have a 10 year plan to win the Masters, so look out Jordan Speith, I'm coming for you.

(I had two cans of a new beer... FitzyBrew. Refreshes the parts other beers can't reach!)

Edited by pozbaird