Gary Mackenzie Signs

Funny how most of our signings seem to completely go over the head of all of our esteemed ITK posters lol.gif:

That's Hutton, Gordon and MacKenzie now... All 3 of them the first time I've seen their names mentioned is in the clubs official statement announcing their signings.

Come on ITK'ers, step it up!

Sorry TC my contact has left the clubwhistling.gif

Pleasant news this, pleasant news indeed.

Well aboard the Rae Rocket. Will that be big Ben berthed on the bench already?

I like wee Alec, I like the cut of his jib. The jib has brought in some promising signings hence my liking of said jib.

All hail the jib.

Indeed... The jib taketh us on a righteous course that will cut through stormy seas at ease.

All hail the jib!

I suppose this is what happens when a manager works over the summer.

I do like the way Rae goes out of his way to point out that here we have a player of real quality! Wonder why he never said that about Gordon or Clarkson....

Defence looks more than okay... We need strikers though.

We let go Thompson and Shankland and have brought in ... No one to replace them.

Good job you've raised this, I hope Alex Rae is reading this as he probably isn't aware.

This is Rae at the panic signings now, he stated we didn't need defenders , realised he's no good at persuading potential targets to commit to the club , so signs 1 of his old guard at the drop of a hat , bet he wishes he never signed Ben Gordon now .

This is Rae at the panic signings now, he stated we didn't need defenders , realised he's no good at persuading potential targets to commit to the club , so signs 1 of his old guard at the drop of a hat , bet he wishes he never signed Ben Gordon now .

Surely not a serious post?

Surely not a serious post?

Rae stated that we had enough central defenders when he signed Gordon.

He stated that we needed strikers and a left sided player.

He then signs... another central defender.

I think the post you have quoted is a serious post and I agree with him.

I'm not doubting the quality of Mackenzie but do you really think that if Rae had signed him before Gordon that he would have also signed Gordon?

I read into Rae's statement after signing Gordon that we could afford 2 strikers, a left sided player, a keeper and maybe one other.

Mackenzie is possibly the 'maybe one other'.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I wouldn't be averse to playing 3 central defenders. So maybe it will all work out okay.

Edited by nosferatu

5 centre half's seems a bit much. One of them probably at right back though, still do we need 4 centre half's?

It gives us flexibility in terms of formation, and obviously much needed cover for loss of form, injuries, and suspensions.

As long as we bring in a 'keeper, two strikers, and a left mid, I will be more than happy to have options in central defence.

I support the idea of building from the back. It might be a bit of a cliche, but making the team hard to beat should be the foundation stone at this level. We won't have a 40 goal a season front line, so need to be good at keeping them out at the other end.

There is a great flexibility for players to work in front of the line as holding midfielders with the signings Rae has made, this gives us a steel we missed without Goodwin, it gives us cover for inevitable injuries/suspensions and should help us to see out winning positions better than some of the horror shows last season.

Raith, Falkirk, Sevco, Hibs to name but a few where we were taken up the ronson lighter from a defensive perspective.

Reading between Rae's lines looks like Sutton has rubber-eared us again, and the search for decent strikers goes on.

You have left your big cross at the bottom of the hill mate.

I think all this talk of panic buying is a bit ridiculous, at this stage. To my mind, Rae has seen the chance to sign a quality player, and went for it. We can worry about having 'too many' centre halves later (we have 4, not exactly what I'd call too many). I doubt Rae would sacrifice a striker, midfielder, or a goalie for this signing. No way.