The Alex Rae Interviews

1 minute ago, Dalrybud said:

Could go with less of the 'honest' interviews and more of an 'honest' appraisal of the ability of the squad he has assembled.

Quite frankly, it looks poor.

For a battle hard midfielder he once was. You'd think he'd at least be able to recruit and get the central midfield department correct. For me, that's his worst area so far this season. Borderline disgraceful.

The problem isn't the squad he's built, we can all see how much more impressive we are with 3 at the back. But instead he's sticking with 4 and instructing full backs not to overlap.

He needs to stop worrying about other teams and focus on the quality we have.

Bottom line is Alex Rae isn't actually a very good manager. End of story.

Talks a good game but next to no substance. Apart from Rangers game on last day of last season we haven't really competed well in any games against the top 4 sides in the league.

Assembled a decent squad this season to compete in this league and make a fist of getting into top 4 but I don't think Rae is actually a very good manager.

I am not a boo boy and this isn't a knee jerk reaction to a disappointing result. I just don't think Rae is a good manager.

Talks a good game but next to no substance. Apart from Rangers game on last day of last season we haven't really competed well in any games against the top 4 sides in the league.

Assembled a decent squad this season to compete in these league and make a fist of getting into top 4 but I don't think Rae is actually a very good manager.

I am not a boo boy and this isn't a knee jerk reaction to a disappointing result. I just don't think Rae is a good manager.

I think you might be right.

I always felt we didn't need Sutton when we already had Clarkson and especially when we brought Shankland back. It was obvious we needed to either replace Goodie or, even better, keep him. We are in serious trouble if we work with this lightweight midfield. I know Rae bypasses it with the long ball but the opposition easily play through it when they have possession. Deep doodoo if we can't find a solution. Either within or with additions.

1 hour ago, Mr Zo said:

Assembled a decent squad this season to compete in these league and make a fist of getting into top 4 but I don't think Rae is actually a very good manager.

This is absolutely spot on but with Shull starting threads (we are gonna win the league) before a ball was kicked and quite an unusually excited forum about our prospects also before a ball was kicked anybody not really going along with the happy thoughts was branded a knicker wetter.

I had concerns about Rae and after voicing them face to face last Saturday was told it was just first league match nerves but unfortunately I think we have another TC/IM situation on our hands.

I really hope I have got this all wrong and would in Kevin Keegan's words "ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT" if I was.

34 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

The balance of the squad is wrong

We now have a riches of strikers at the club

But no midfield to supply them

The engine room is powderpuff

Trying to turn an attacking midfield player into someone he isn't

If your midfield is shite you never get anywhere

Agreed, but it's been that way for years, even with McLean and McGinn in it. I know I don't go every week, but on the few occasions that I have watched St Mirren in recent years the problem hasn't been the strikers wasting loads of chances, it's been a lack of chances full stop - with the added problem of course of a defence that kept on leaking goals. 

The midfield will probably be fine if we stopped the rubbish "hooooooooooooof" tactics, as it is not the teams strength at all. Baffling that he hasn't found this out after 4 league cup games and now 2 league matches. 

I don't know what to think of Rae but I don't think the board will act so soon. This is however an abjectly poor start. The Hamilton defeat, the inability to score a goal in 50 minutes against a Edinburgh City who had just entering the league, pumped against Raith and second best v Morton. 

Some really good points being made here about the fans ridiculously over the top expectations following our Summer signings.

Perfectly summed up with the long drawn out angst over the 'will he/won't he' Sutton signing saga. Only a handful of posters had the good sense to ask, should he?

We have too many 'experienced' individuals throughout the squad who are past their best. Add in a spread of youngsters who aren't quite as good as some believe and we have the same problems as last season.

As has been noted, the balance of the squad is wrong, with a non-existent midfield, but we lack genuine quality at the back and a real cutting edge up front.

At the back, we appear to be as disorganised as last season. We have conceded eight goals in our three away fixtures so far. Worrying to say the least. Webster simply doesn't lead or organise those around him effectively enough. Baird, perhaps as a consequence of not being guided through a game, remains a bit of a bomb scare. Langfield? Well, still an instinctive shot stopper but other than that, not bringing a lot to the team.

AR and DF undoubtedly saved our season last year. Not pretty at times but a pragmatic approach to organising a poor squad saw us safe in the end.

Knowing how poor that squad was it is disappointing that there wasn't a more thorough clear out.

The fans are pretty unanimous in agreement that we are desperately short in midfield , given that Alex was a tough tackling midfielder in his day I thought his priority would be to get a midfield marshal in to replace Goodwin , if Hutton is supposed to be that person we are in for a very very tough season ....

1 minute ago, Lethal89 said:

We seem to actually play better when we go to 343 with Walsh in place of Gallagher, so maybe he should start with that formation and team!!

The impression Rae gives with his teams and interviews is that he has done everything he can to produce a winning team. He washes his hands of poor performances. Failure lies with the players for not competing, working hard enough, lacking desire, etc.