1877 Club

div

This whole issue seems to be the way with the club at the moment. Revenue is being lost all over the place. I appreciate that guys have paid membership for the bar but this should have been thought out a bit better. The bar should be open for everyone, it could be heaving on matchdays, i remember going into the Wee Barrell and no being able to move for the fans in there. Going for a pint with friends is a big part of guys going to the game, why not encourage that revenue to be spent in our bar rather than in pubs in town or the west end.

Then there is the obvious issue with selling the kit (i think we have a new one coming out), get it into the club shop again, lets start making things more supporter friendly and encourage folk down rather than driving them away.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

A proactive opt-in, as I've suggested above (rather than out) makes more sense, no?

Yes it sounds better, but unless there is a sensible system around it then it just becomes an onerous admin headache for someone at the club and that's why things don't get done.

I thought the Eventbrite stuff that SMiSA used for the event last Saturday was excellent. Some sort of tool like that would be the shout IMO.

It's simple really open the doors match day at 12pm and let folk in

Then who will pay the builders who are still owed money. I've heard that statement a few times but can't do that until the trades are paid for. Unless Mr Scott wants to pay them off and open the doors. But that's for the new owners to decide.

6 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

Then who will pay the builders who are still owed money. I've heard that statement a few times but can't do that until the trades are paid for. Unless Mr Scott wants to pay them off and open the doors. But that's for the new owners to decide.

There's a few on here who seem to think their the new owners. :rolleyes:

Edited by pod

1 hour ago, div said:

Yes it sounds better, but unless there is a sensible system around it then it just becomes an onerous admin headache for someone at the club and that's why things don't get done.

I thought the Eventbrite stuff that SMiSA used for the event last Saturday was excellent. Some sort of tool like that would be the shout IMO.

Eventbrite was the app I was thinking of. I've used it a couple of times and seems straightforward enough.

20 minutes ago, santaponsasaint said:

If there were about 40 folk in it when it was the first game of the season in a derby game situation, and builders need paid, surely the place needs opened up to 'walk-ins' ASAP, to raise extra revenue with which to pay off the builders quicker.

As I said earlier, I now meet Drew and the guys outside a coffee van across from the 1877 Club. Why not make 'walk-ins' a temporary thing at a cost of £2 per person, to raise extra revenue to pay off the builders? If you even got another 50 bodies in, there's a hundred quid - plus what those 50 folk would spend at the bar. Once debts to builders are paid off - by all means revert to a members only club again if you wish.

How to ensure members gain entry? What's the absolute maximum capacity? 200? Limit walk-ins at £2 each to 75. Leaves plenty room for members, assuming the 40 or so at the Morton game is any kind of guide. Someone at the door simply armed with a clicker, stop admitting walk-ins at 75?

Maybe the point I am missing is that admitting £2 walk-ins so early in the club's existence is something the members simply wouldn't entertain, seeing as how it was their financial commitment to it being a members club that saw it created at all. Put it to an 1877 Club members vote?

To be honest, I think folk will balk at the notion of any form of payment just to get in. As someone already said, you don't pay to get into a boozer on the High Street.

I appreciate that it could be a short term option to assist in paying off outstanding costs, but in the longer term there shouldn't be an entry fee. Something like the Lapsley Club at Love Street seems fine.

1 minute ago, Drew said:

To be honest, I think folk will balk at the notion of any form of payment just to get in. As someone already said, you don't pay to get into a boozer on the High Street.

I appreciate that it could be a short term option to assist in paying off outstanding costs, but in the longer term there shouldn't be an entry fee. Something like the Lapsley Club at Love Street seems fine.

In retrospect, perhaps it was just the wrong time to do anything with the void. Might have been better waiting until the old BoD had packed their bags and left the building before looking at it again under the new ownership model. The vibe I'm picking up is that the old BoD weren't interested, and if you have any complaints now, speak to Campbell Kennedy.

I for one would be happy to pay a fee at the door for entry. The bar would make more money from open doors allowing the pay off to be quicker. Something should be put to members for their view.

28 minutes ago, Svard svard said:

It's free to get in the Killie club for home and away fans it's heaving every time I have been in there.

Aye, likewise the bar in Dumbarton. Surely it makes sense to pack it out however that can be achieved, and the revenue will follow

11 minutes ago, Svard svard said:

It's free to get in the Killie club for home and away fans it's heaving every time I have been in there.

Is that the one that's part of their hotel?

If so that's a hugely different entity from the 1877 club.

The 1877 club is a very different beast from your common or garden pub. Town centre pubs attract paying punters off the street and are open seven days a week.

As Drew says, charging £2 when you can walk into a town centre pub for hee-haw, might put people off. However, I'm sure there would be plenty people willing to pay £2 to help things along and drink in a pub that supports the club financially in the long run. 

As I said earlier the infrastructure is there, albeit the entry requirements need improved. If we can't show some unity to try and get a supporters bar in place that is accessible to all, then that doesn't bode well for the future.

Is the only thing going towards paying for the builders etc the membership fee? Is the income from the bar and the like going to the club? Could this cash not be ring fenced to go towards paying off the loan that was taken out for the cost of the bar?

I appreciate that may be taking income away from the rest of the club but it's income the club didn't have until six months ago anyway.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

If there were about 40 folk in it when it was the first game of the season in a derby game situation, and builders need paid, surely the place needs opened up to 'walk-ins' ASAP, to raise extra revenue with which to pay off the builders quicker.

As I said earlier, I now meet Drew and the guys outside a coffee van across from the 1877 Club. Why not make 'walk-ins' a temporary thing at a cost of £2 per person, to raise extra revenue to pay off the builders? If you even got another 50 bodies in, there's a hundred quid - plus what those 50 folk would spend at the bar. Once debts to builders are paid off - by all means revert to a members only club again if you wish.

How to ensure members gain entry? What's the absolute maximum capacity? 200? Limit walk-ins at £2 each to 75. Leaves plenty room for members, assuming the 40 or so at the Morton game is any kind of guide. Someone at the door simply armed with a clicker, stop admitting walk-ins at 75?

Maybe the point I am missing is that admitting £2 walk-ins so early in the club's existence is something the members simply wouldn't entertain, seeing as how it was their financial commitment to it being a members club that saw it created at all. Put it to an 1877 Club members vote?

just providing the facts mate, its up to the new owners how the club is paid for, I agree with letting fans in and letting it be a match day bar, but if the new owners wont pay the outstanding bills then it will stay a club as far as I know,

1 hour ago, Drew said:

I think your idea about non members paying a slight premium for the beverages might be the way to go. Open the place at 12:00 and to non members at 1:00 so the fee payers have that a reasonable chance of entry.

12 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Is that the one that's part of their hotel?

If so that's a hugely different entity from the 1877 club.

The 1877 club is a very different beast from your common or garden pub. Town centre pubs attract paying punters off the street and are open seven days a week.

As Drew says, charging £2 when you can walk into a town centre pub for hee-haw, might put people off. However, I'm sure there would be plenty people willing to pay £2 to help things along and drink in a pub that supports the club financially in the long run. 

As I said earlier the infrastructure is there, albeit the entry requirements need improved. If we can't show some unity to try and get a supporters bar in place that is accessible to all, then that doesn't bode well for the future.

Nope. Proper fans bar , open to home and a way fans under the main stand. 

I think your idea about non members paying a slight premium for the beverages might be the way to go. Open the place at 12:00 and to non members at 1:00 so the fee payers have that a reasonable chance of entry.

As is East Fife as I recall, walk up, walk in and buy a reasonably priced drink, no problems. 

I'd have no problem with that as it would allow a degree of priority for the members who got it up and running.

Would prefer free entry for all... but your suggestion is the most sensible compromise I have heard.

I would like it to be free entry like any pub or similar bars in other stadia. Members to get a discount on all purchases (or non-members have a 50p levy per drink?).

I have no idea of the capacity of the bar or the number of members but if capacity is 300 and there are 200 members then 100 non-members can just walk straight in which means members will always have access. Of course not all members will turn up every week and as those numbers are monitored over the next few months then maybe the non-members that can just turn up can increase through time. Keep it to Home fans only for now until take-up numbers are averaged over the next few months.

29 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Nope. Proper fans bar , open to home and a way fans under the main stand. 

Maybe we should be looking at how that works then.

Although given the way Kilmarnock's finances generally are, it was probably financed during the build up of several millions of pounds worth of debt that was very kindly written off by the bank.<_<

I don't think it's realistic to compare one club's supporters club with another, as there are so many factors at work here.

Edited by FTOF

I would like it to be free entry like any pub or similar bars in other stadia. Members to get a discount on all purchases (or non-members have a 50p levy per drink?).

I have no idea of the capacity of the bar or the number of members but if capacity is 300 and there are 200 members then 100 non-members can just walk straight in which means members will always have access. Of course not all members will turn up every week and as those numbers are monitored over the next few months then maybe the non-members that can just turn up can increase through time. Keep it to Home fans only for now until take-up numbers are averaged over the next few months.

I regularly used the bar under the away stand at Love Street... There was never more than a handful of punters... But there was more local "competition".

If we can't make a real success of this there is something far wrong.