1877 Club

div

35 minutes ago, Kendo said:

I can't for the life of me understand the bickering in this thread. A proposal was put forward to have a fans bar, 200 signed up generating circa 24k per annum in membership fees.

Another proposal to buy out the club was put forward by SMISA. Once again this was very successful. 

Both ventures should be applauded and held up as excellent examples of what we as St Mirren fans can achieve. 

Although sceptical of both ventures I signed up for both of them and would love for both to succeed. Surely the way forward is for us all to work together to make things work out.

As far as I can see both have been a big success with a bigger membership take up than many thought possible. There is no room for divisions from fans in our small club especially as in 10 years the fans will own the club.

Didnae know you were a member of the Saints Bevvy Club. 

It will be thriving in no time 

GO FOR IT JAKEY. 

8 minutes ago, Drew said:

4 of us, standing at the Buddie Good Food Van, a coffee at £1.20 each. Okay, I wouldn't bother with the maths for that one:toilet

Normally I'd have been at the Buddie Good Food van with you, but was down South. That's another coffee and a four-finger Kit Kat... do the math.

On a more serious and less wet-knicker-note, meeting at the van is what we do. Meeting at the Wee Barrel is what we used to do. What I WOULD have done, was to meet you in the club supporters bar, had it been of the Dumbarton FC or Livingston FC nature, and not of a nature I personally disagreed with from day one. That's simply my view, no-one else need give much of a flying F for my view. I am clear that the club, the outgoing BoD, were not interested. In either kitting out the void seven years, or one year ago, nor indeed in the HoF panels. So please, I get their dis-interest.

Anyway... Gie's a midfield. Sorry, signing. No, hold on, got it right the first time.

I don't think it is a case of complaining, Gary. Its more about people being concerned that the facility won't be viable, and suggesting possible ways round this.

A few of us stood with a coffee outside, across from the Main Stand, as the rain started to fall at the back of 2 on Saturday.  I had just commented that Div had Tweeted that the bar area was half empty. Seemed like a wasted opportunity. That's not a complaint, just a well intended observation.

Was just letting people know if they had any complaint he's the guy to complain to that's all.

Smisa members own 29% of the club and therfor hold the right to hold the club and board accountable on its business decisions. 

Why not ask the board if the recent dance sessions in the members bar were a charged let then? I'm a founder member and didn't get asked about the use of the space I've contributed towards.

As for holding anyone accountable, even a shareholder with one share has that right.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Black & White Army mobile app

All the talk about subscriptions covering the cost really isn't the issue.

The place is not busy, almost certainly won't be busy on match days and whether it's rented out or not on other occasions doesn't disguise the fact it's letting the support down and also failing to cash in on the income from any away support like last Saturday.

It should be blatantly obvious to whoever is in charge that a change in the current set up would be yo everyone's advantage.

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

All the talk about subscriptions covering the cost really isn't the issue.

The place is not busy, almost certainly won't be busy on match days and whether it's rented out or not on other occasions doesn't disguise the fact it's letting the support down and also failing to cash in on the income from any away support like last Saturday.

It should be blatantly obvious to whoever is in charge that a change in the current set up would be yo everyone's advantage.

Thank you Richard Branson. :)

Love yir Pickle. 

Would an option be to open the club to non-members, with no entry charge applying to anyone, but members receive either first drink free or, say, a25% discount on all their drinks.  As a non-member,   I'd happily pay a reasonable premium on bar purchases to offset any costs incurred in such a scheme.
Not so sure about an at the door charge, if, as would most often be the case on account of driving, I would just be buying a coffee. That said, the availability of this bar at the ground would make me more likely to occasionally leave the motor at home.

27 minutes ago, Drew said:

Would an option be to open the club to non-members, with no entry charge applying to anyone, but members receive either first drink free or, say, a25% discount on all their drinks.  As a non-member,   I'd happily pay a reasonable premium on bar purchases to offset any costs incurred in such a scheme.
Not so sure about an at the door charge, if, as would most often be the case on account of driving, I would just be buying a coffee. That said, the availability of this bar at the ground would make me more likely to occasionally leave the motor at home.

I think you have the start of a good idea. The issue is how do you control the numbers and ensure that members can gain entry? 

I've been following this thread with interest. Pettiness and sniping aside there are some valid points being made and questions being asked. It should lead to a proper discussion on the long term validity and profitability of a "fans" bar.

i would like therefore to give you my own take on my first Paisley match day experience in 3 years.

Having being caught up in the nostalgia of Buy the Buds and feeling I was doing my bit and feeling like I have reconnected with the club I took the decision to travel up from Warrington with a mate and take my Dad to the game. Getting caught up in the buzz of social media I was convinced I'd have to leave my folks house early to get 3 tickets in the West stand together!!!

we arrived at the ground at 1-15 and headed to the ticket office beside the club shop ( where even if I wanted to I couldn't have purchased a replica top ) - so none of my hard earned cash going into the club coffers!

i was bemused that at the main ticket office I couldn't purchase a ticket for the West Stand and would in fact have to walk round the ground to buy a ticket there.

This is when I passed the entrance to the 1877 club - I was fairly sure it was members but thought I'd rembered reading online that there was some first come first served walk ups available for a nominal £2 entry fee.

i spoke politely to the lad on the door - explained we had travelled up from Warrington and that me and mate fancied a few pre match pints and my elderly dad wanted a cup of tea!

No joy - canne come in - members only etc etc! - I get it - that's not my issue or complaint - the irony is only a few moments earlier someone had tweeted only 40 people in the 1877 club. 

Just suppossing we had paid a few quid to get in - in the 90 mins prior to ko I reckon me and my mate would have managed 3 pints - my dad would have had a cuppa and a wee hauf so n total probably something in the region of £30 quid going into the coffers including entrance.

After we had collected our tickets I spoke to a very helpful steward at the gate at the corner of the Hospitality entrance he was kind enough to grant us access through the large gate to get a picture taken beside the pitch.  He suggested heading up West Street towards the local hosteleries 

we found ourself outside the Craigielea bar where we were welcomed in with no problems. The pub didn't do cups of tea but the woman behind the bar kindly used the staff kettle and made a cup for my dad at no charge.

we stayed for a few drinks then set off down the hill about 2-35pm

on arrival at the ground we entered via West 5 and our seats were directly in front of the lads with the banners. They were in great voice and spirits were high!

ive read many times about Shull complaining about the tannoy - Christ he is right - it was useless and completely muffled and in effective - it needs sorting Asap

St Mirrens slow start to the game and going a goal down was a disappointment. I'm not sure what Alex Rae's plan A was but at least going 3-4-3in  the 2nd half suggested there was a plan B. I commented on the match day thread mid match about how aimless and in the air our play was. My Everton supporting pal and I both agreed it was bout the standard of watching Warrington Town who play in the 8th tier of English football!

Dissappointingly and probably out of frustration one of the saints fans behind us in W5 threw their homemade flag forward which hit a woman on the back of her head. She was entirely innoncent and even though it was an accident - no one had the balls to come down and apologise. Her husband tried to catch the attention of the steward sitting at the front of the section ( paid I assume to notice things like fans throwing objects or spectators getting struck ) he was completely ineffective. The husband then reported to one of the lead stewards in red coat that his wife had been hit on the head but again no support or assistance was forthcoming.

A few moments before half time I dashed down to use the catering facilities.... FFS get that sorted out as quick as possible. There was only a small queue but even that seemed beyond the people serving. My order was 3 pies and 3 bovrils. ( I've been to a number of sports stadia or large scale events ) but never has such an order been so difficult . The server got me the 3 lukewarm pies from the oven then went to pour the scolding bovril one cup at a time from the hot water pump behind as my pies got progressively colder. My suggestion - pre poured bovril - hot pies - people taking order just shout to the bovril / pie runner to save all the messing. Also price the food according or employ people who can count. The maths on 3 pies at £2.10 and 3 bovril son at £1.95 or whatever was clearly beyond her . Can it not just be two quid a pie and two quid a bovril - go mental and do a pie and bovril deal at £4!!!

Anyway £12 lighter I returned to my seat for the second half. 

I thought there was better application and effort in the 2nd half and there at least looked like a game plan. Saints were good value for their goal and a draw was a fair result.

post match my dad got off and my mate and I walked up to the Bankhouse for one where the barmaid asked if I was a season ticket holder as she took my order - nice touch and I assume perhaps there is a discount for season tickets?!

We had tickets for the SMISA fans party at UWS . I thought it was well organised and attended I thought it had a good positive vibe. BillyG kept things up tempo with his Saints related playlist. I was lucky enough to catch up with a Saints supporting friend and the bottles of Peroni slipped down very nicely!!!

I thought George Adam ,Gordon Scott ,Tony Fitzpatrick and Alex Rae were all absolute gentlemen all speaking freely and elequently about the positive plans for the club. My mate who was an impartial bystander commented on how lucky we are as fans to be able to have such a close link with guys who clearly want the best for the club and were more than happy to pose for selfies and speak to the fans.

so to conclude - there are obviously many things the club needs to do at the start of the new era. The drive , passion and hard work is clearly there. Apparently we are a model for supporters associations looking at what we will achieve.

Get the 1877 club , the Strips, the Tannoy , the Hall of Fame boards and all the other gripes sorted. Establish - develop and maintain key lines of communication with the fans - build on the great work with young supporters at the dome. Get a competitively priced ticketing structure that is inclusive to all sectors of the community.

There should be no empty seats ever in the family stand - give the tickets to schools , youth groups, charities, council workers who work with the disadvantaged. In fact anyone or any organisation that can demonstrate a use or a need for them.

I feel even though I live 200 miles away that I am part of something good. I feel connected with the club - I can sense ambition on and off the park. I am sure the management team and the owners are all pulling in the right direction. I won't be paying an annual fee for the 1877 club but already I'm looking at the fixture list and considering which match I will be attending very soon.

Edited by Liverpool Bud

8 minutes ago, Kendo said:

I think you have the start of a good idea. The issue is how do you control the numbers and ensure that members can gain entry? 

Aye, hadn't given that thought (members issue).

To control numbers, just permit folk up to a certain capacity. One option to gate-keep space for members would be to request pre-booking (easily done using apps I'd have thought). If members not opted in by certain time, it's a free for all. A bit like what happens with ST renewals on a micro-scale.  So, a deadline for people to ensure they have a slot. Isn't that how it was worked when the marquee affair was set up in the car park? That seemed popular enough.

7 minutes ago, Kendo said:

I think there might be conditions attached to the license for the premises that complicate matters but perhaps not.

At the moment the default is that they assume all members will be coming and you can advise if you aren't going to make it along so that they can sell your space to another members guest. The other member then needs to register the fact that they are bringing a guest.

It's all a bit unwieldy and overly complicated IMHO.

11 minutes ago, div said:

I think there might be conditions attached to the license for the premises that complicate matters but perhaps not.

At the moment the default is that they assume all members will be coming and you can advise if you aren't going to make it along so that they can sell your space to another members guest. The other member then needs to register the fact that they are bringing a guest.

It's all a bit unwieldy and overly complicated IMHO.

A proactive opt-in, as I've suggested above (rather than out) makes more sense, no?

Edited by Drew