1877 Club

div

So I have now been to the club...only fair I post my views!

On arrival, as I was giving our names, Alan Wardrop appeared and introduced himself and took us up to the bar...nice.

BUT before we even got there - on the stairs - ooft the heat! Spoke to someone who has been there from start and said he noticed it too coming up the stairs but not usually like that - thank god cos the place was well warm.

Alan told us it had a new layout as he had had the chance of some free tables and chairs. My thoughts - mix the tables up a bit, split them up - in rows like school or a bowling club - another member agreed, he said they were better than the couches but didn't like the row lay out.

Big screen - great - no sound - weird fitba pub, fitba on and no sound???

Bar - staff great, area - hmmm looked a bit sparse and for the love of Hugh Murray get a couple of bottle openers attached to the bar - one girl after the game (when bar full) stoating about trying to find the handheld bottle opener - get it sorted Gus! Prices - £1.50 for a can of juice for the wean - sorry but feckin shocking! I've already said I think the prices should be way lower when you are paying a monthly subscription but I didn't realise it would be £1.50 for a can - that's just not on IMO.  £3.30 a bud - I don't do bottles in pubs  but didn't fancy the fosters.....got a fosters after the game £3.40 well its 2 buds innit? BUT  - its just no that guid is it???????????  GET SOMETHING ELSE ON DRAUGHT!!!!

Overall - I'm sure it will get better as we get to know more people, didn't have much atmosphere but again prob as season goes along. I've not hid the fact I think its overpriced and if it wasn't for the wee man I wouldn't be there and I still stand by that.  I really do think the bar prices are wrong for something you are already paying for. 

Signing in - again I think every member should be able to sign 2 people in free.  Say I said to my pal Darn and his boy to come in for a bit before game - 2 sign ins and 2 cans of coke £9 - why would you?

Suggestion - it has been mentioned that folk signed up but don't use it. Say one week me and the wee man cant go - so bar getting no money from me that week, let me pass it on to someone else to use - they come in and spend and get to try it?

Early days....and im sure it will come good but honestly GET SOMETHING OTHER THAN FECKIN FOSTERS...its just no a guid pint!!!

3 hours ago, Miss Saint said:

So I have now been to the club...only fair I post my views!

On arrival, as I was giving our names, Alan Wardrop appeared and introduced himself and took us up to the bar...nice.

BUT before we even got there - on the stairs - ooft the heat! Spoke to someone who has been there from start and said he noticed it too coming up the stairs but not usually like that - thank god cos the place was well warm.

Alan told us it had a new layout as he had had the chance of some free tables and chairs. My thoughts - mix the tables up a bit, split them up - in rows like school or a bowling club - another member agreed, he said they were better than the couches but didn't like the row lay out.

Big screen - great - no sound - weird fitba pub, fitba on and no sound???

Bar - staff great, area - hmmm looked a bit sparse and for the love of Hugh Murray get a couple of bottle openers attached to the bar - one girl after the game (when bar full) stoating about trying to find the handheld bottle opener - get it sorted Gus! Prices - £1.50 for a can of juice for the wean - sorry but feckin shocking! I've already said I think the prices should be way lower when you are paying a monthly subscription but I didn't realise it would be £1.50 for a can - that's just not on IMO.  £3.30 a bud - I don't do bottles in pubs  but didn't fancy the fosters.....got a fosters after the game £3.40 well its 2 buds innit? BUT  - its just no that guid is it???????????  GET SOMETHING ELSE ON DRAUGHT!!!!

Overall - I'm sure it will get better as we get to know more people, didn't have much atmosphere but again prob as season goes along. I've not hid the fact I think its overpriced and if it wasn't for the wee man I wouldn't be there and I still stand by that.  I really do think the bar prices are wrong for something you are already paying for. 

Signing in - again I think every member should be able to sign 2 people in free.  Say I said to my pal Darn and his boy to come in for a bit before game - 2 sign ins and 2 cans of coke £9 - why would you?

Suggestion - it has been mentioned that folk signed up but don't use it. Say one week me and the wee man cant go - so bar getting no money from me that week, let me pass it on to someone else to use - they come in and spend and get to try it?

Early days....and im sure it will come good but honestly GET SOMETHING OTHER THAN FECKIN FOSTERS...its just no a guid pint!!!

Agree with pretty much all of that, fair and constructive criticism!

The place has improved a lot and continues to do so but always scope for more change. The Fosters thing is unfortunate as it seems to be the official beer of the club. Guess that means it's cheap but I'm with you, it's far from my favourite.

Keep hoping they will sort the sound out for the fitba, it is a bug bear of mine as is the lack of any music. One or the other would make a big difference to the atmosphere.

Couple of times they've had Cambo in DJing before and after and it was so much better.

I am fortunate being retired I have some disposable income:rolleyes:

My wife and I love it ,and Wee Johnny is chuffed that as well as his own season ticket he has his own membership card.

Its very pleasant and I'm sure soup will warm us up on a cold winters day,plus the fact we can sit till 2.50 and then go to our seats.

Not  many clubs have players ,directors and the owners (Gordon Scott) as customers.

Some players come in after the game also,which is great for the Kids,in this day of closed training sessions etc it's important to have this interaction 

The important thing is that the money from this goes to the club.

It will be better as we get to know more lads and lassies as the season goes on.

We moved from the west stand  to main stand this season and as I have restricted mobility so it's just down and in the first turn style and no long walk.

I have a carer season ticket so on occasion my son in law can come with his boy if my wife doesn't feel like it.

In fact he drove us down last time and he sat and thought,'I like this idea ,a few beers ,watch the game  more beer ,and taxi home', 

I read with interest about Dumbarton fans not getting in to their home support only bar  till the turnstiles opened ,their excuse was health and safety that too many fans were mingling in the foyer with the good and great.

Not all clubs are as welcoming as St Mirren

1 hour ago, Greenhill Road said:

Any chance they will open the club up to the freeloaders for the East Kilbride game ? Can't imagine it will be too busy.

That's a great idea, it will be a smallish crowd for us and I wouldn't imagine there would be too many away fans. Would be a great advert for the Club to let both sets of fans enjoy the bar pre-match. Would bring in a little extra cash too. Even charging £1 donation to the youth academy to get in. I'm sure most fans would pay that, I would.

12 hours ago, div said:

Agree with pretty much all of that, fair and constructive criticism!

The place has improved a lot and continues to do so but always scope for more change. The Fosters thing is unfortunate as it seems to be the official beer of the club. Guess that means it's cheap but I'm with you, it's far from my favourite.

Keep hoping they will sort the sound out for the fitba, it is a bug bear of mine as is the lack of any music. One or the other would make a big difference to the atmosphere.

Couple of times they've had Cambo in DJing before and after and it was so much better.

Back ground music would be good not sure about the volume for the live games as it's nice to have a chat without shouting. Great to see plenty chairs available was directed to the back wall where there were plenty available.  Yes drink choice could be better at the end of the day the best deal the club can get dictates choice. Still to try the food will do that in our next home game. The club takes match day experience to the next level for me absolutely love it just don't make music or TV too loud :)

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 10:59 AM, Eaglesham saint said:

I am fortunate being retired I have some disposable income:rolleyes:

My wife and I love it ,and Wee Johnny is chuffed that as well as his own season ticket he has his own membership card.

Its very pleasant and I'm sure soup will warm us up on a cold winters day,plus the fact we can sit till 2.50 and then go to our seats.

Not  many clubs have players ,directors and the owners (Gordon Scott) as customers.

Some players come in after the game also,which is great for the Kids,in this day of closed training sessions etc it's important to have this interaction 

The important thing is that the money from this goes to the club.

It will be better as we get to know more lads and lassies as the season goes on.

We moved from the west stand  to main stand this season and as I have restricted mobility so it's just down and in the first turn style and no long walk.

I have a carer season ticket so on occasion my son in law can come with his boy if my wife doesn't feel like it.

In fact he drove us down last time and he sat and thought,'I like this idea ,a few beers ,watch the game  more beer ,and taxi home', 

I read with interest about Dumbarton fans not getting in to their home support only bar  till the turnstiles opened ,their excuse was health and safety that too many fans were mingling in the foyer with the good and great.

Not all clubs are as welcoming as St Mirren

Yeah that's great - but that doesn't mean we shouldn't look for value/a good deal or get it.

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:50 AM, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Back ground music would be good not sure about the volume for the live games as it's nice to have a chat without shouting. Great to see plenty chairs available was directed to the back wall where there were plenty available.  Yes drink choice could be better at the end of the day the best deal the club can get dictates choice. Still to try the food will do that in our next home game. The club takes match day experience to the next level for me absolutely love it just don't make music or TV too loud :)

I don't mean blaring music or fitba sound just something - fitba without commentary is weird I think.  Anyway I had a Cpl of pints of Tennents before last nights game and £3.10 - result - guid auld Glennifer.

Had the chilli & Rice sour cream and cheese today. Very good and fantastic value no need for something at half time. Oh and then there was that game what a good day out. Now on the way home go down to the Scottish Honky Tonk for Hugh Reed & The Velvetunderpants to finish the day with a BANG ! 

• 3 months later...
At 50 quid a year I would consider joining, but £10 a month on top of the 50 bucks I won’t be bothering, Shame really...
It does get fairly busy on a matchday with guests of members included, though when you look at the figures over the first year of membership, it does seem rather steep.

Guest TPAFKATS

If you don't join and get signed in as a guest, it's £3 a pop.
So it's gonna cost you to go either way. I've been a few times as a guest and also pop in after most games. Really like the club, but even the £10 a month is still more than I would spend just visiting.

Arrived quite late on Saturday the bar was closed however was given a ticket for a christmas nip and the lovely lasses behind the bar kindly served me. Sat down myself with Slade Merry Christmas blaring out the PA  thought to myself that is the best I have heard that song in a long long time , good PA. Drank my whisky and bottle of beer quickly then made my seat before the team came out very enjoyable even if it was a quick one.

• 4 months later...

My 2nd visit to the 1877 since joining up as a founder member.

Alan Wardrop kindly took my son & mates 2 boys for a wee tour. Into the media room and the boardroom where, Sir Tony of Fitz had a warm welcome for them and a few photo's too.

& the beers after, players coming in & the 3 boys somehow managed to get a kickabout on the pitch with some of the players children

Best £10 a month i've spent in a long time.

I was signed in as a guest for both the Livingston and Morton games, and spent a fair bit of time in the club before and after each match.

I thought it was very good, overall, but don't doubt that the occasions contributed hugely to the atmosphere. My mate who is the signed up member confirmed as much.

Pre-match on Saturday, there was bags of space, and it looks as though many folk held off until the after-match celebrations. This would suggest that there is potential to look at ways of enticing more people to come along. Whilst members are being charged a monthly rate, though, I'm not sure how this could be done fairly.

The facility is great, but I wonder if more could be made of it (and, indeed, from it!).

4 minutes ago, Drew said:

I was signed in as a guest for both the Livingston and Morton games, and spent a fair bit of time in the club before and after each match.

I thought it was very good, overall, but don't doubt that the occasions contributed hugely to the atmosphere. My mate who is the signed up member confirmed as much.

Pre-match on Saturday, there was bags of space, and it looks as though many folk held off until the after-match celebrations. This would suggest that there is potential to look at ways of enticing more people to come along. Whilst members are being charged a monthly rate, though, I'm not sure how this could be done fairly.

The facility is great, but I wonder if more could be made of it (and, indeed, from it!).

It's normally more busy Drew think it was down to that fantastic March from the bankhouse which was a huge success.  

1 minute ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

It's normally more busy Drew think it was down to that fantastic March from the bankhouse which was a huge success.  

Ah, of course, that would certainly account for it being quieter than the previous week.