1877 Club

div

Just open Bar at 11am and make it a free for all. ( Home & Away )

Have a Donations Box  at the entrance. ( sure most will stick summat in it )

Other income could be raised over the 4 hours, via Competitions, Raffles , Quizzes ,etc.

Also need to find a way to reimburse original members.

What i can't understand is why would 200 fans pay a joining fee and a monthly fee, and then more than half of them don't turn up at the 1st game of the season :unsure:  Surely they can't all be away on holiday  :unsure:  Why join if you don't want to used it ?

4 minutes ago, renfrew said:

What i can't understand is why would 200 fans pay a joining fee and a monthly fee, and then more than half of them don't turn up at the 1st game of the season :unsure:  Surely they can't all be away on holiday  :unsure:  Why join if you don't want to used it ?

I don't know about others, but I've already explained why three of us couldn't make it on Saturday.

In fact ,only one of us (me) was able to watch the whole game.

1 hour ago, shull said:

Just open Bar at 11am and make it a free for all. ( Home & Away )

Have a Donations Box  at the entrance. ( sure most will stick summat in it )

Other income could be raised over the 4 hours, via Competitions, Raffles , Quizzes ,etc.

Pretty sound suggestions in there.

I agree that most folk would stick a couple of quid in a collection box. Also, raffles etc, makes sense.

Aye, good shouts.

5 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:

Then who will pay the builders who are still owed money. I've heard that statement a few times but can't do that until the trades are paid for. Unless Mr Scott wants to pay them off and open the doors. But that's for the new owners to decide.

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 3:26 AM, santaponsasaint said:

Club is run by Campbell Kennedy. All complaints should sent to him.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Black & White Army mobile app

How would monies owed to tradesmen have any effect on how the bar is run and who is let in.

The bottom line of getting paid is usually what a tradesman is most interested in & I doubt there'll have been any agreement of "we'll do this" or "we'll build that" "but you can't alter your entry criteria until we get paid"

but lets go along with it, it is the case and as you suggested earlier, a club employee is the go to person, will Campbell Kennedy be able to explain who is owed what & what the payment terms are?

Interesting thread. I've largely stayed away from it because I don't understand what the agreement is with the membership and the football club. Despite still being none the wiser really it's hard not to conclude that only a small part of the problem is if the facility is underused on match day - no matter how sad that might be. What is far more important from a football club point of view is getting the facility used on the other 347 days in the year.

That needs footfall and it needs a business plan that draws people to the stadium.

Is that the one that's part of their hotel?

If so that's a hugely different entity from the 1877 club.

The 1877 club is a very different beast from your common or garden pub. Town centre pubs attract paying punters off the street and are open seven days a week.

As Drew says, charging £2 when you can walk into a town centre pub for hee-haw, might put people off. However, I'm sure there would be plenty people willing to pay £2 to help things along and drink in a pub that supports the club financially in the long run. 

As I said earlier the infrastructure is there, albeit the entry requirements need improved. If we can't show some unity to try and get a supporters bar in place that is accessible to all, then that doesn't bode well for the future.

Killie club is free for all have been in it a few times its very busy. Have also been in the hotel once which also gets a good turn.

56 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Interesting thread. I've largely stayed away from it because I don't understand what the agreement is with the membership and the football club. Despite still being none the wiser really it's hard not to conclude that only a small part of the problem is if the facility is underused on match day - no matter how sad that might be. What is far more important from a football club point of view is getting the facility used on the other 347 days in the year.

That needs footfall and it needs a business plan that draws people to the stadium.

I agree that using the stadium facilities on non-football days is desireable - who wouldn't? Looking at the club's entire commercial activity surely must be high on any 'to do' list written up by GLS/SMiSA. The location of McDiarmid Park lends itself to hoovering up the purvey business from the crematorium that is slap bang next to it. With an initiative like using the car park as airport parking, then perhaps the proximity to Paisley International has scope for further development? The natural thoughts are the stadium lounges be utilised for weddings, funerals, seminars... the usual stuff. 

Anyway, certainly GLS/SMiSA should be afforded time. Time to firstly keep the place ticking over and operating as normal, then they can make their mark. Personally, I'm not looking for any big changes from the new owner until at least the start of next season. No rush to steam in - unless it's REAs laundry idea, then steam will be required immediately. Get it sorted!

I am not a member but I think it would be good if it could be open up to everyone. I drop my nephew off for the panda club then head back up the road, or pub. Would be easier to just walk round and go in for a few pre match but can't at the moment

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I agree that using the stadium facilities on non-football days is desireable - who wouldn't? Looking at the club's entire commercial activity surely must be high on any 'to do' list written up by GLS/SMiSA. The location of McDiarmid Park lends itself to hoovering up the purvey business from the crematorium that is slap bang next to it. With an initiative like using the car park as airport parking, then perhaps the proximity to Paisley International has scope for further development? The natural thoughts are the stadium lounges be utilised for weddings, funerals, seminars... the usual stuff. 

Anyway, certainly GLS/SMiSA should be afforded time. Time to firstly keep the place ticking over and operating as normal, then they can make their mark. Personally, I'm not looking for any big changes from the new owner until at least the start of next season. No rush to steam in - unless it's REAs laundry idea, then steam will be required immediately. Get it sorted!

The ground is only a five minute drive from Woodside Crematorium. Absolutely no reason why we can't benefit from that, although maybe not to the same extent at St Johnstone.

The club needs to be more proactive in an attempt to drum up business for non-game days rather than just assuming folk will know about us. A quick example. Put "conference facility" into Google along with Perth, Kilmarnock, Inverness or Motherwell and on each occasion one of the results on the first page is connected to the football club (I'm assuming the Park Hotel is the one associated to Killie). Try it with Paisley and there's nothing on the first page and the only result on the second is a bit on a free listings page. There is a section on the official site but it doesn't show up after 10 pages of the above search. Dunno if you need to pay or it's a case of optimism keywords on the OS or whatever but it's a source of revenue that is potentially being missed out on.

I'd have thought a football ground might appeal to some companies for a conference as being  abit different from yet another hotel or whatever - especially if you threw in the option of a wee stadium tour during the lunch break.

How would monies owed to tradesmen have any effect on how the bar is run and who is let in.

The bottom line of getting paid is usually what a tradesman is most interested in & I doubt there'll have been any agreement of "we'll do this" or "we'll build that" "but you can't alter your entry criteria until we get paid"

but lets go along with it, it is the case and as you suggested earlier, a club employee is the go to person, will Campbell Kennedy be able to explain who is owed what & what the payment terms are?

Cos at the moment the membership fees of 2k a month go to the builders.

48 minutes ago, Stu said:

The ground is only a five minute drive from Woodside Crematorium. Absolutely no reason why we can't benefit from that, although maybe not to the same extent at St Johnstone.

The club needs to be more proactive in an attempt to drum up business for non-game days rather than just assuming folk will know about us. A quick example. Put "conference facility" into Google along with Perth, Kilmarnock, Inverness or Motherwell and on each occasion one of the results on the first page is connected to the football club (I'm assuming the Park Hotel is the one associated to Killie). Try it with Paisley and there's nothing on the first page and the only result on the second is a bit on a free listings page. There is a section on the official site but it doesn't show up after 10 pages of the above search. Dunno if you need to pay or it's a case of optimism keywords on the OS or whatever but it's a source of revenue that is potentially being missed out on.

I'd have thought a football ground might appeal to some companies for a conference as being  abit different from yet another hotel or whatever - especially if you threw in the option of a wee stadium tour during the lunch break.

I often attend conferences and training events through work, and the value of a good venue, close to a major road artery, and with plenty of on-site parking can hardly be overstated.

I understand that there have been a few corporate events, but there must be potential for a  great many more. I've posted about this before, but Dumbarton frequently let their corporate suite out, and often to the local authority. Do Renfrewshire Council use the stadium that now carries the name of their City of Culture bid? If not, why not?

Probably first and foremost we should try and understand how the space and the 1877 club is run.

My understanding, and this might be wrong, is that the bar and space is  owned and operated by the football club.

The club staff it whenever it is in use, they set the room up, they stock the bar, and I believe the club takes the bar takings.

The club is in charge of renting the space out on non-matchdays.

The Fans Council basically rent the club on matchdays and presumably on any other day they want it they can rent it, presumably at a reduced or nil cost.

So on a matchday the Fans Council is a customer of the football club.

So I'd reckon that the entry system is entirely up to the Fans Council to decide on, working within whatever limitations there are on the license?

Am I wrong?

2 hours ago, Stu said:

I used the hospitality for a conference around 3 years ago, it was a great success and the attendees came from across the UK and Europe.  All were very complimentary about the facilities and the location close to the airport.  At the time, Brian told me that he was tearing out his hair trying to get the old board to invest in facilities and advertising as an airport conference hub.

Of the 120 people there, no-one took up the offer of a tour, however the memorabilia boards created a great deal of discussion amongst the Spanish and Swedish visitors.

The main thing I feel reading through this thread is ... ... a sense of optimism!

Look at all the great fans ideas! If we as a club can set up a system to harness these ideas and act upon them, there really is no limit to what we can achieve!

Within our support, we have so many untapped talents and abilities that can help drive us forward if properly co-ordinated.

COYS

23 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

The main thing I feel reading through this thread is ... ... a sense of optimism!

Look at all the great fans ideas! If we as a club can set up a system to harness these ideas and act upon them, there really is no limit to what we can achieve!

Within our support, we have so many untapped talents and abilities that can help drive us forward if properly co-ordinated.

COYS

Thanks Sir. B)

9 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:

Cos at the moment the membership fees of 2k a month go to the builders.

2k from 300 members, surely that should read £3K per month??

also, why would that dictate who gets let in & who doesn't.

I think the 300 members (who are supposedly only coughing up £2k per month) could and should be consulted on changing the entry criteria & let in folk on a

first come, first served and 1 out, 1 in basis.

Get as many punters in through that door as often as possible and the builders will be paid off a whole lot sooner.

12 hours ago, BIG BEN said:

I am not a member but I think it would be good if it could be open up to everyone. I drop my nephew off for the panda club then head back up the road, or pub. Would be easier to just walk round and go in for a few pre match but can't at the moment

This is one of the areas where I'd assume the club could cash in. 

I get the complications on match days with memberships etc, but if you expand the thought beyond just the Panda Club, if there are enough kids on site every day of the week taking part in activities around the stadium, there's always going to be parents and responsible adults waiting around the stadium looking for something to do. And its one of the many advantages that stems from having far closer ties with community groups from the local area. If the club need to see examples just visit Linwood Sports Centre. Where the youth groups are in training, you've generally got a fairly busy cafe / canteen 

Lots of good points already mentioned. My dad is a member and he tried to sign another 2 of us in by emailing the night before but was told the club was full and there was a waiting list. We ended up going to the bankhouse having a few pints and buying some food so my daughter could get in, we then got a taxi to the ground. The club need to figure out a better way of judging the numbers on the day, clearly an email system has flaws. 

Firstly, the £6 sign in for guests is crazy , thats 2 pints in some pubs in Paisley and if you have a child coming in who has one soft drink you are really paying over £7 for a soft drink for kids. Also means you have club members who go to games with friends / family who dont use the club as they dont want to ask non members to pay £6 to sign in, thats probably why so many members didnt attend on Saturday.

The potential is there, the stadium is in the middle of nowhere really with most fans having a 10 minute walk to the ground or getting a taxi from the pub. It's a false economy charging guests £6 to sign in, I can only assume someone thought that £6 x 2 games a month would encourage a guest to join the club instead. An extra 100 people in the club spending an average of £10 per head would bring in at least 2k per month extra revenue not to mention scratch cards etc and improve the atmosphere.

The club need to find a way of filling the bar for every game although I am not sure if the club want to compete with hospitality bookings, personally after this year I would make it free entry or even members can sign in guests free and members get a discount off drinks etc... Also get a local bookies to come in with a wee booth on match days, improve the kids area / games , get more seats and tables and sort the TV systems. All of these should be easy to achieve. This bar should be the place to be before match days so the club need to find a way to ensure the founder members / members still have some extra benefits while also encouraging non members.

If there was less than 100 folk in against Morton with nearly 4000 saints fans in the ground I fear when we play later in the season with just over 2000 saints fans in the ground.

The club need to think out the box and track revenue, split test different options and pick 3 different games to test some stuff. For example during the season test the £6 guest fee and try a £3 fee and even free entry and analyse the figures. The club would need to pick games where similar size crowds are expected and test over time not one game after another. Also advertise well in advance not the weekend before.  As a non member who cant make every game if the club was free to sign in guests or a small fee I would be there every game with at least 2-4 others and I am sure many others would also.

Lots of other ideas but it should be a no brainer to fill that club every home game.

18 minutes ago, div said:

Great post Kev. Agree with all of that. A lesson for certain posters in how to be constructive rather than purely dismissive.

Boo hoo !!!!

Like deleting a decent Thread because it made YOU weep.

FFS :lol:

Very constructive