GLS on radio

Also said that unless Saints increase their turnover to around £5M pa then they will always be a "bottom 6 Premier / Championship club"

Well that's interesting cause if my sums are correct selling every seat in the stadium out to adults only for all 18 home matches, the club will only take in £2.8m. He'd better have some f**king impressive commercial ideas cause I'm sure fans won't tolerate the club owners having ambitions that would see the club regularly out performed by ICT, Ross County and St Johnstone despite their average attendances bring nowhere near 8,000.

14 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Well that's interesting cause if my sums are correct selling every seat in the stadium out to adults only for all 18 home matches, the club will only take in £2.8m. He'd better have some f**king impressive commercial ideas cause I'm sure fans won't tolerate the club owners having ambitions that would see the club regularly out performed by ICT, Ross County and St Johnstone despite their average attendances bring nowhere near 8,000.

Don't have any accounts, but wasn't our turnover close to £5m when we were in the SPL? 

4 hours ago, davidg said:

Think we were just under the £4m mark, poor seasons about £3m?

I did a bit of digging and found out that Inverness Caley Thistle annual turnover in 2014 was £3,891,475. That rose after they'd won the Scottish Cup to £4,623,203 of which £250,000 was profit. They've never had a turnover of £5m+. St Johnstone also made a £250k profit on an annual turnover in 2014 of £5,177,267. That was their highest ever turnover and according to the guy who published the analysis of the accounts that was up 25% on what it usually is. And Motherwell, who finished in the top 6 last season had a turnover of "about £4.5m" which included £300,000 worth of transfer income. 

St Mirren's turnover shown in the accounts for 2015 was £2.98m which was down £208k on the previous year. 

8 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

I'd imagine a big chunk of our income after income from home league games comes from our payments from the SPFL for league position and share of league sponsorship and TV deals, and over the last decade we have had a few cup runs as well helping the finances.

4 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I'd imagine a big chunk of our income after income from home league games comes from our payments from the SPFL for league position and share of league sponsorship and TV deals, and over the last decade we have had a few cup runs as well helping the finances.

Yeah, prize money and the TV deals. The problem St Mirren now have though is that the prize money will be much less in this division and the TV money will be non existent now "Rangers" have been promoted so it's going to need some really special commercial ideas from the board to get up to the kind of levels that GLS appears to think the club needs to be consistently successful. 

The interesting thing about seeing St Johnstone and ICT's figures is that it's pretty evident that those clubs aren't being propped up by a rich sugar daddy. They are just well run clubs living within their means. And you'd have to assume that as well as earning more in prize money for on field success and perhaps in player transfers, there has to be a considerable difference in the commercial activities as well that leaves St Mirren well behind. 

Personaly I don't expect Gordon to throw money at Saints. However his tone has somewhat changed from the PR message before the take over. My fingers are crossed there is a plan to up income, however deep down I bleaive a lot of hot air was put out there pretakeover time will tell.

25 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Personaly I don't expect Gordon to throw money at Saints. However his tone has somewhat changed from the PR message before the take over. My fingers are crossed there is a plan to up income, however deep down I bleaive a lot of hot air was put out there pretakeover time will tell.

Gordon Scott is putting up a huge amount of money to facilitate this takeover. He has stated from day 1 he will not be dipping into his pocket to bankroll Saints. Check the periscope feeds from both meetings at Greenhill road if you want . . so wheres the hot air ? How has that changed ?  Stop talking shit & mischief making .

2 hours ago, santaponsasaint said:

We might shite on the park, but off it we have a wealth of financial experts emoji12.png

Erm, no. The club doesn't have that many. There are loads who like to think they are experts but they show themselves up when they talk about the UK National Debt being funded by a bank loan from the international bank, or from sales of Premium Bonds, :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Gordon Scott is putting up a huge amount of money to facilitate this takeover. He has stated from day 1 he will not be dipping into his pocket to bankroll Saints. Check the periscope feeds from both meetings at Greenhill road if you want . . so wheres the hot air ? How has that changed ?  Stop talking shit & mischief making .

Yep, that's what I got from everything that was said pre-takeover too. The only new money was the extra £2 per month that SMiSA would be collecting from the monthly subscriptions which would only be used in accordance with a members vote. Indeed I got pretty frustrated because there was no new commercial ideas being put forward and no business plan, just the line that the previous owners were tired and fresh eyes looking at the club would do better. At least now the target appears to have been set. The new board is going to have to consistently generate an extra £2m per annum of additional revenue if they are going to meet many of the clubs customer bases expectations of a top six spot and challenging for honours. 

I don't think anyone expects Gordon Scott to dip into his own pocket any further than he already has. What we require is an injection of fresh ideas and impetus around the club.

It seems to me, on the basis of our signings and squad, that Rae has a decent budget, so he needs to get on with delivering on the pitch. Scott and his fellow directors have plenty to be getting on with elsewhere.

Edited by Drew
Typo

Spot on Drew.

A cursory look at the players we have brought in suggests that the budget was decent this season considering where are.

The management team have spent that budget and now it's up to them to deliver a winning team on the park.

The only way we will see any more new faces is if someone moves out the way and the only players likely to attract any attention at the moment are going to be Mallan and McAllister and at a push Naismith (anyone else hear Jim Goodwin say we knocked back a bid for him in the summer?!).

Developing and selling players going forward has to be the aim. Clubs like Falkirk and Hamilton are doing it really successfully and whilst we have produced decent players we haven't got the maximum value out of them. Hopefully that will change.

I don't expect nor want Gordon to be using his own money to prop up the club, as that would mean we were living outside our means. We won't have that luxury in ten years time when we hopefully own the club ourselves so I don't really see why we would want it to happen now.

That said, the club needs to speculate to accumulate to some degree. It looks like everything has been stripped down to the bare bones and it might take some investment from somewhere to create new facilities that are going to generate revenue outside of football. I think if Gordon could see a clear opportunity to invest to make money then he might be tempted to loan the club some capital. Maybe.

We own plenty of land around the stadium. More matchday facilities, 5 a side pitches to rent out?

We're near a very busy airport with planes flying over the stadium, advertise on top of the stands.

Use our history, produce downloadable content for itunes etc. 

Sell tickets for matches in the town centre, perhaps in a van, pubs or make a deal with a supermarket? Crazy we don't do this already. 

PDF tickets would be a great help, can be printed out at home. Not always easy to get to the ticket office during opening hours and smfc tickets doesn't work on a smartphone. Printing gold embossed tickets for every game must cost the club a fortune. Ideally we should have an app that lets you scan into the stadium using your smartphone like they have in the airport etc - not sure on the costs involved tbf.

Mate you are picking me up wrongly where did I write Gordon would throw money at the club ?