Wee Idea...

I had a thought about what the club could do that's thinking outside the box a wee bit. I know some might not like the idea, especially ST holders but here it goes anyway. Could the club possibly try and help out the homeless punters or maybe even families in poverty in the Renfrewshire area by handing out vouchers that let an adult or kid into the ground for free, maybe even throw in a free pie and bovril and free travel to the game. 

I know the first thing that springs to mind is cost but what if there are bucket collections put on at a home game prior to it to make sure there is enough money raised to make sure the caterers aren't out of pocket. There are already charities at most home games collecting money at the gates and this is a charitable gesture to people who wouldn't normally be able to afford a wee day out to the football (I know things on the pitch probably won't help put a smile on their faces :booty). It's not for every home game either.

I think it would generate a could bit of media interest, especially on the back of the homeless World Cup which was held in Glasgow recently. Who knows maybe an under privileged kid would catch the football bug and go on to play for Saints and be a superstar or make a good bit of money later in life and buy the club. Could even try and get the Renfrewshire council involved or Mhari Black and get a local bus company to help transporting people if there was actually any interest.

Dunno just a wee idea that popped into my head, it's a twist on handing out tickets to school kids and the coffee initiative where people pay a bit extra so the under privileged/homeless can get a coffee too. There are still plenty of seats to be filled at home games.

15 minutes ago, Sergie's no1 fan said:

I had a thought about what the club could do that's thinking outside the box a wee bit. I know some might not like the idea, especially ST holders but here it goes anyway. Could the club possibly try and help out the homeless punters or maybe even families in poverty in the Renfrewshire area by handing out vouchers that let an adult or kid into the ground for free, maybe even throw in a free pie and bovril and free travel to the game. 

I know the first thing that springs to mind is cost but what if there are bucket collections put on at a home game prior to it to make sure there is enough money raised to make sure the caterers aren't out of pocket. There are already charities at most home games collecting money at the gates and this is a charitable gesture to people who wouldn't normally be able to afford a wee day out to the football (I know things on the pitch probably won't help put a smile on their faces :booty). It's not for every home game either.

I think it would generate a could bit of media interest, especially on the back of the homeless World Cup which was held in Glasgow recently. Who knows maybe an under privileged kid would catch the football bug and go on to play for Saints and be a superstar or make a good bit of money later in life and buy the club. Could even try and get the Renfrewshire council involved or Mhari Black and get a local bus company to help transporting people if there was actually any interest.

Dunno just a wee idea that popped into my head, it's a twist on handing out tickets to school kids and the coffee initiative where people pay a bit extra so the under privileged/homeless can get a coffee too. There are still plenty of seats to be filled at home games.

Can't think of any any significant drawbacks.

One issue might be how you (sensitivity) target the relevant population, and discreetly provide what you have suggested.

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Can't think of any any significant drawbacks.

One issue might be how you (sensitivity) target the relevant population, and discreetly provide what you have suggested.

I can. Think of the reaction of season ticket holders :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Sergie's no1 fan said:

I would tweak your idea a wee bit and encorage the club to think again about giving tickets to unemployed/skint Saints fans who can't afford to pay to see their team in exchange for say 20 hours work at the stadium on general maintenance/cleaning etc.

lets get the club doing its bit, going out on a limb and helping to inspire and turn lives round. Its not as sexy as say Street Stuff, and it doesnt attract funding, but it is the right thing to do. Hopefully the club wont go for the embarrassing option of having Smisa members vote to fund it.

4 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I would tweak your idea a wee bit and encorage the club to think again about giving tickets to unemployed/skint Saints fans who can't afford to pay to see their team in exchange for say 20 hours work at the stadium on general maintenance/cleaning etc.

lets get the club doing its bit, going out on a limb and helping to inspire and turn lives round. Its not as sexy as say Street Stuff, and it doesnt attract funding, but it is the right thing to do. Hopefully the club wont go for the embarrassing option of having Smisa members vote to fund it.

Surely not one ticket for 20 hours work.

11 minutes ago, slapsalmon said:

Surely not one ticket for 20 hours work.

Its not replacing a job, its giving someone without a purpose a wee lift,mgetting them involved and getting to see the saints. Doesnt have to be 20 hours, but for both parties needs to be real, and meaningful. Plus it would only be for volunteers, not some shabby tory work for less than a quid at Poundland scheme.

Edited by Lord Pityme

Getting a ticket in exchange for work would be classed as a "benefit in kind" and therefore remove the person from the volunteer category so they would be entitled to minimum wage.

You cannot volunteer normally to work for a ltd company only a charity or a statutory body IIRC

22 minutes ago, rea said:

Getting a ticket in exchange for work would be classed as a "benefit in kind" and therefore remove the person from the volunteer category so they would be entitled to minimum wage.

You cannot volunteer normally to work for a ltd company only a charity or a statutory body IIRC

Yeah I am not sure about this. I would have thought that unpaid internships were legal but I could well be wrong.

ETA. Just had a quick look. It appears that these would be illegal. That is just plain stupid.

ETA. Another look reveals they may well be legal if the company makes no offer of reward to the intern.

Edited by oaksoft

31 minutes ago, rea said:

Better get on to HMRC pronto then! All those peeps who volunteered to sweep snow off the pitch last season are in trouble if they didnae declare their bovril or pie.

complimentary tickets have no value!

Edited by Lord Pityme

11 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

f**k me. I get pissed off at wasting 90 minutes of my life watching a low quality football match. Can you imagine having to work 20 hours to get your ticket and then on matchday you get to watch St Mirren put in yet another insipid performance like they did against Morton? A sure fire way to make people hate the club I would have thought. 

14 hours ago, Sergie's no1 fan said:

Sergie - before I say anything else can I say that this is the bones of an excellent idea. It clearly comes from a great place and the idea of giving some hard pressed parents who are really struggling in life the opportunity to take their child for a day out is tremendous and deserves proper consideration. But here's the thing. As a PR stunt it would certainly backfire. As recently as the 20th of May 2016 this year there were news reports regarding a project that St Mirren FC, UWS and the local council were to be involved in. The project was to build a new £15m Sports Village in Ferguslie Park. To achieve this the plan was to bulldoze 248 houses - and according to the council at the time some 66 of those houses were already unoccupied. 

You can't have a situation where the club is complicit with a scheme that would bulldoze so many council owned properties on one hand, whilst offering a free ticket and a pie to those who could be doing with one of those empty units to live in. 

Now having said that if the club were to instead to put free tickets in at the local Food Bank to be given out to families in financial hardship who fancy a day out - I guess that works. 

51 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Sergie - before I say anything else can I say that this is the bones of an excellent idea. It clearly comes from a great place and the idea of giving some hard pressed parents who are really struggling in life the opportunity to take their child for a day out is tremendous and deserves proper consideration. But here's the thing. As a PR stunt it would certainly backfire. As recently as the 20th of May 2016 this year there were news reports regarding a project that St Mirren FC, UWS and the local council were to be involved in. The project was to build a new £15m Sports Village in Ferguslie Park. To achieve this the plan was to bulldoze 248 houses - and according to the council at the time some 66 of those houses were already unoccupied. 

You can't have a situation where the club is complicit with a scheme that would bulldoze so many council owned properties on one hand, whilst offering a free ticket and a pie to those who could be doing with one of those empty units to live in. 

Now having said that if the club were to instead to put free tickets in at the local Food Bank to be given out to families in financial hardship who fancy a day out - I guess that works. 

Well there is a huge surprise. Your understanding of homelessness is as superficial, shallow and fragile as your understanding of finance, economics and everything else you claim to be an expert in.

10 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Well there is a huge surprise. Your understanding of homelessness is as superficial, shallow and fragile as your understanding of finance, economics and everything else you claim to be an expert in.

I can't wait to hear this. Go on Oaksoft, educate me. :rolleyes: Why do you think selling off council housing stock is causing people to be homeless, but bulldozing council housing stock doesn't? 

58 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

So what did you mean then? I wasn't giving a thesis on the different reasons why people are made homeless. Just showing why the original idea as a PR stunt would backfire.

So you slate me first THEN ask what I meant and expect me to help you out?

I think my point was crystal clear.

Yeah I am not sure about this. I would have thought that unpaid internships were legal but I could well be wrong.

ETA. Just had a quick look. It appears that these would be illegal. That is just plain stupid.

ETA. Another look reveals they may well be legal if the company makes no offer of reward to the intern.

Which it would be if agreed in advance....of course you could go down the testimonal route of....oh my godness i turned up at the stadium and look it is full and you are giving me all the money...wow i knew nothing about it.....google thise accounting rules if you want a real giggle