Rae Must Go!

We were Also-rams last season. Serious contenders for the drop but Alex sorted us out and pushed us up to 7th. A shambolic position to finish in but respectable in the context of our performances under Murray.

So, with that in mind, how on earth are people dancing at least a play-off position. Is there a failure to accept how mismanaged the club has been over the last 3 or 4 years? We're a mess on and off the park and it will take at least the same time to turn things around.

If Alex Rae has us finishing 5th to 7th again this year then he has done a reasonable job.

It's completely plain to see that the players who take the field look completely uncoached, their is no plan A never mind B. I personally don't see that changing, we're left with a dead weight around our neck which is only likely to cost the club money.

Before Rae was appointed, the former chairman said the board would take their time and appoint the right man, low and behold, Rae was appointed toot sweet.

8 hours ago, Tam M said:

His contract is up at the end of the season. He has one job. Get us into the top 4. If he fails to do it, he'll lose his job. I'll give him the season.

Even if we do finish 4 I think it's likely there will be a new manager in place. 

Rae wasn't appointed by the current board and that puts any manager's coat on a shoogly peg. I don't think I've ever seen Rae and the Chairman pictured together, and I don't think I ever read any comment from the manager about the takeover. Not interested. Tony Fitz, meanwhile, has always accentuated the positives and been a manager himself. I wonder what he makes of Alex Rae's approach.

Obviously the start to the season is bringing Rae's position into focus but, seems to me the new regime might not see him as a good fit at the club beyond this season.

19 hours ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

Dr Rotund i actually agree with you. I don't think Gordon Scott will wait as long as Stewart Gilmour did to sack Murray... that was thoroughly depressing to watch today and i can't find any positives from what i've watched so far this season. I fear if we wait too long we effectively write yet another season off.

Stewart Gilmour NEVER sacked Murray - Murray resigned without being sacked or having his contract terminated "by mutual consent".

1 hour ago, Julian Banjos said:

Even if we do finish 4 I think it's likely there will be a new manager in place. 

Rae wasn't appointed by the current board and that puts any manager's coat on a shoogly peg. I don't think I've ever seen Rae and the Chairman pictured together, and I don't think I ever read any comment from the manager about the takeover. Not interested. Tony Fitz, meanwhile, has always accentuated the positives and been a manager himself. I wonder what he makes of Alex Rae's approach.

Obviously the start to the season is bringing Rae's position into focus but, seems to me the new regime might not see him as a good fit at the club beyond this season.

GLS said before the bid was accepted that he though Rae was a good manager and he supported what he was trying to do at the club and had done a good job since he was appointed and had no plans to bring in anyone else to replace him. Rae wears a SMISA badge on his club jacket. Fitzpatrick has tweeted a few messages of support to Rae as well.

I think fans need to really get a grip of themselves at the moment. Fitzy and GLS have said the aim this season is to try and get into the promotion play offs and have admitted it is a big ask considering we finished 20 points off the pace last season (behind Raith Rovers) and almost 30 points behind Falkirk and Hibs. I wonder if Falkirk fans are calling for Houston's head after 3 league games and trying to sound reasonable by saying we were OK last season but we're going backwards rather than improving this season.

Alex Rae's track record at Dundee at this level was decent enough, and his track record at St Mirren is decent enough at least in terms of results given the absolute mess he inherited last December.

If we finish 4th this season, and there are 33 league games left to make up for the tough and disappointing start, Rae will have met one of the key aims set by the board. We will have improved 2 places on last season's finish,and 4 or 5 places on where we were when Rae took over, we'll have overtaken some of the teams who finished comfortably ahead of us last season, and in those circumstances you would still want Rae shown the door? It's also worth bearing in mind that some of this year's team were always going to be under contract this year and it will be next summer before Rae has his own team on the park.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

6 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Rae's made a cockup of his signings. Getting rid of Goodwin without having a decent equivalent? Getting rid of Kelly without having a left sided defender capable of doing the job? Bringing in Sutton when he had already signed Clarkson? 2 strikers who will be like 1 as neither will regularly last a whole game when we are working within a smaller squad? No matter the tactics employed, and I'm not sure the players know what those tactics are, you need the personnel to implement them.

You can ask someone to paint the Sistene Chapel but without the scaffold and brushes you aren't going to get it even whitewashed.

Unfortunately , if it was left to us the sides would get done but there would be a big gap with nothing in the middle and round the back would be good in patches but mostly distressed.

The mood in the stadium tells it's own story an acceptance of ok we are shite. Problem is its been like this for years now. It takes up most of my day to watch Saints taking in the travelling. Its really torture to watch us with a feeling you can't see things improving. Sitting near the dugout you get to see first hand Alex Rae working hard on the side lines shouting instructions. Was thinking the player's are scared to express themselves , of course I could be wrong . Bottom line is its not F'n working. Someone is going to pick up Jack Ross who clearly has talent. Dumbarton results collapsed when he left as assistant manager. Now he has Alloa flying. Wish Saints had the foresight and balls to go and get him other wise we are going nowhere this season.

1 hour ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

If we finish 4th this season, and there are 33 league games left to make up for the tough and disappointing start, Rae will have met one of the key aims set by the board. We will have improved 2 places on last season's finish,and 4 or 5 places on where we were when Rae took over, we'll have overtaken some of the teams who finished comfortably ahead of us last season, and in those circumstances you would still want Rae shown the door?

No, I think he will have done a good job if we we finish top 4. I would probably give him another 2 seasons on the back of that.

I just wonder if Gordon Scott will look to get his own man in when he has the opportunity.

3 hours ago, Dalrybud said:

So, with that in mind, how on earth are people dancing at least a play-off position. Is there a failure to accept how mismanaged the club has been over the last 3 or 4 years? We're a mess on and off the park and it will take at least the same time to turn things around.

I disagree. There's stability and optimism, a new future now off the park. On it we have a squad who spend every day at Premiership training facilities and, on paper, are amongst the best in this league. We should be, at the very least, challenging for the top 4 this season.

48 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

The mood in the stadium tells it's own story an acceptance of ok we are shite. Problem is its been like this for years now. It takes up most of my day to watch Saints taking in the travelling. Its really torture to watch us with a feeling you can't see things improving. Sitting near the dugout you get to see first hand Alex Rae working hard on the side lines shouting instructions. Was thinking the player's are scared to express themselves , of course I could be wrong . Bottom line is its not F'n working. Someone is going to pick up Jack Ross who clearly has talent. Dumbarton results collapsed when he left as assistant manager. Now he has Alloa flying. Wish Saints had the foresight and balls to go and get him other wise we are going nowhere this season.

Was there not history between the old regime and Jack Ross

43 minutes ago, Eaglesham saint said:

Was there not history between the old regime and Jack Ross

There was, the bonus row which overshadowed reaching the 2010 League Cup Final. 

Fans are saying why do St Mirren always appoint young cheap untested managers and we need an experienced boss in one breath and now, appoint Jack Ross in the other breath:(3 league wins out of 3 league games as a boss - and trailing behind a Livi team we have beaten already).

Carlsberg don't do roasters but if they did they'd be awfully like some forum members on current form.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

I don't know why anyone has optimism that Rae will improve the team. In the first 3 fixtures we have been dire and not even close to winning the last 2. I don't see the sense in keeping a manager till Christmas and then asking another manager to fix the mess with someone else's squad and hardly any time to do it.

Fans are saying why do St Mirren always appoint young cheap untested managers and we need an experienced boss in one breath and now, appoint Jack Ross in the other breath:(3 league wins out of 3 league games as a boss - and trailing behind a Livi team we have beaten already).

Carlsberg don't do roasters but if they did they'd be awfully like some forum members on current form.

Well I'm totally getting frustrated at the lack of direction on the field we had one good effort on goal the whole game that is unaceptable at home. If my work visa is not through this week I will make the trip to Ayr. If there is no improvment then that's me had enough of Rae.

Guest TPAFKATS

The comparison with us having beaten Livingston is irrelevant.

This isn't an endorsement of Jack Ross, either.

4 hours ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

Ayr got humped yesterday and we play them next week. I would suggest that if we were to lose again then there will be discussions between the BOD, big week for the management team, they have to get it right.

Wow we have gone from some posters saying Rae has got 2 games left to save his job earlier today and now its down to 1 game to save his job. 

Forget the team being a laughing stock, or the board or management. Our fans are a laughing stock eg my dad and I were unaware from our seats in the main stand that at the Morton game there was a singing section (of St Mirren fans)... out sung all game by Morton fans who weren't organised into singing or non-singing sections.

Wow we have gone from some posters saying Rae has got 2 games left to save his job earlier today and now its down to 1 game to save his job. 

Forget the team being a laughing stock, or the board or management. Our fans are a laughing stock eg my dad and I were unaware from our seats in the main stand that at the Morton game there was a singing section (of St Mirren fans)... out sung all game by Morton fans who weren't organised into singing or non-singing sections.

Wow read my post properly preferably. I said the BOD of directors would be having a discussion. I didn't say they would sack him on the spot. Only the naive would think this won't happen. Now we're getting the old "you're not a proper fan" line being trotted out or words to that effect.

And now the singing section are a laughing stock? You want them to sing when they have nothing to cheer about for about 80 mins because of the dross being served up in front of them? Aye very good.

13 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

The fans in the Singing Section were excellent and gave the Team great support.

Morton had a squad of fans in the corner ( singing section ) at the Top and gave their Team good support also.

So you are talking total nonsense.

3 hours ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

Wow read my post properly preferably. I said the BOD of directors would be having a discussion. I didn't say they would sack him on the spot. Only the naive would think this won't happen. Now we're getting the old "you're not a proper fan" line being trotted out or words to that effect.

And now the singing section are a laughing stock? You want them to sing when they have nothing to cheer about for about 80 mins because of the dross being served up in front of them? Aye very good.

Sorry if you thought my post was solely in response to your post which I quoted. It wasn't. I was replying to several points in different posts on here and also some of the stuff on the St Mirren Supporters page on Facebook (which makes this forum look balanced). I would standby saying our fans are becoming a laughing stock. Hutton had folks swearing at him within 15 minutes of his home debut against Ayr. In the mainstand at the Morton game halfway through the first half grown men were squaring up to each other and swearing at each other even after a few people reminded them they supported the same team and there were young kids feeling frightened by their aggression. The only players I haven't heard being torn to bits by our own support in the main stand this season are Hardie, Walsh and Morgan but other than that guys like Clarkson, Sutton, Mallan, Hutton, Webster, Baird have been subjected to sustained abusive shouts from our fans. As for the singing section I never heard them... I saw some banners and that was it. 

One of the only things that gets the home fans vocal at Greenhill Road is refereeing decisions and I have almost come to hope for a few stinkers against us early on to get the crowd involved and hopefully fire the players up.