Toronto

Stu

13 hours ago, Frank McGarvey' wonky legs said:

One thing for sure is that one week won't be enough. Blue Jays if they are in the play offs try and get a ticket. Same for the Leafs but pretty expensive in comparison to Braehead Clan but its Champions League to our Juniors.

Unfortunately the season doesn't start until after we're gone - think it's the Saturday after we leave. I'm hoping there are some friendlies for hockey or basketball we could go to.

Went to an NHL game when I was in Washington a few years ago which was good. Being in the second back row there was slightly different to second back at Braehead.

7 hours ago, RickMcD said:

What a cracking thread. Very interesting. I got hooked on Canada when I saw O'Rourke Of The Royal Mounted as a boy. Great movie. Always said I would go to Canada but never have. All this talk gives me the notion to go again. I stayed in The Watermill when I was over for the Morton game and The Hamills were right outside my bedroom. The noise sent me to sleep. The ducks quacked me awake in the morning and I watched a heron fishing right at the top. Very picturesque.

One of the few threads where never was posted a discouraging word.

Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto are the three cities in Canada I've been to. Enjoyed all three, but Vancouver is spectacular. (Pic attached). Hoping to take one of those Canadian train journeys one day, and get to see more of the country.

vancouver.jpg

Edited by pozbaird

16 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto are the three cities in Canada I've been to. Enjoyed all three, but Vancouver is spectacular. (Pic attached). Hoping to take one of those Canadian train journeys one day, and get to see more of the country.

vancouver.jpg

I flew in that very plane to Victoria on Vancouver Island!  Took the ferry back.  Great wee day out.

I drove from Vancouver to Whitehorse - quite a bit further north - and loved every inch.... Though not the mosquitoes.

this was when the Alcan highway was still not tarmaced.  A dirt road.

This was when I first realised I probably wouldn't climb EVERY mountain.

lovely people, Canadians.  Definitely different from Yanks.

Montreal - a brilliant city, best appreciated mid-winter.

• 1 month later...
On 25/08/2016 at 4:57 PM, zurich_allan said:

Tim Hortons is about a thousand times better than Dunkin Donuts, I honestly think I could eat timbits until I'm sick!! :)

Yes, Tim Hortons is excellent (aside from trying to make myself understood in the airport last night when I tried to point out to to the server she'd given me too much change). Totally forgot about the place poz mentioned until re-reading the thread.

Amazing city. Weather was in the mid 20s the first couple of days and low 20s yesterday, be a while until I see that again here. Went to the islands, which were lovely, and watched the sunset from the top of the CN Tower. Also saw a couple of fantastic sunrises while out for a run a couple of mornings. Relatives took us to Niagara Falls (the town is a dump) and we went behind the falls as well as on the boat and up the tower. The boatas the only time we got wet all holiday - my relatives said it reminded them of their trip to Scotland!

Went to a Toronto Argonauts game. They are pish, marking as bad as us and they got humped. Biggest cheer of the night was when a squirrel ran onto the pitch and finally crossed the endzone. Maybe it was a bit of a damp squib as we'd gone to the Blue Jays against the Texas Rangers the night before. They were 2-0 up going into the game and if they won they progressed to the equivalent of the semi-finals. They did and the place - both in and outside the stadium - was going absolutely crazy.

IMG_1476071967.054322.jpg.04798fad0d9bdc3d8bb3fadd1d7a06c2.jpg

IMG_1476071982.254843.jpg.2ca1d32cdd02ed4d2f503265b0c8ef83.jpg

Guest TPAFKATS

Blue Jays had a great early season then limped over the line into the play offs.

Great stadium and great atmosphere, hope the AL final games are at a decent hour here. I was knackered staying up for the 3rd game which didn't start until 00:30.