Toronto

Stu

Me and my brother are heading to Toronto for a week at the start of October. Was wondering if anyone else has been and what you'd recommend - aside from the obvious touristy stuff like CN Tower, Niagara Falls etc.

Can't wait to see how this thread, like most in general nonsense, descends into a political argument about independence/Brexit/Jeremy Corbyn's train-floor sitting pants being on fire :)

Guest TPAFKATS

I was over again in the summer visiting outlaws. Also spent some time in Toronto. Took in a Blue Jays baseball game which was very good, although the beers were a bit costly, but hey ur on holiday
Loads to do in Toronto esp around Yonge St. There's a great craft beer pub called 3 Brewers where they brew in house.

Was there for three weeks in 1989. Might have changed a bit from when I was there.:rolleyes:

Do everything at Niagara falls. The maid of the mist and the tunnel underneath the falls are both breath taking. You can also stand within about 6 feet of the falls as they go over the edge. Go down the walkway along the Niagara river as the rapids are astounding, as is the giant whirlpool where the river bend turns back on itself. There's a cable car over the whirlpool, but I shat out of going on it as the whirlpool freaked me out. 

The Science centre was pretty impressive too.

There's a park down near the boardwalk where we saw The Monkees playing live. (I told you it was a long time ago :lol:). Can't remember what it was called though.

We also went up to Buckhorn lake a bit further north, which has stunning scenery. A couple of hours away on a bus. You could hire houseboats etc. to go touring for a couple of days or do some fishing. I seem to remember we went with my mates cousin who owned a houseboat, on which we proceeded to get very drunk for 2 or 3 days.

Anyway, it's a fantastic place. Enjoy yourself.

Edited by FTOF

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Me and my brother are heading to Toronto for a week at the start of October. Was wondering if anyone else has been and what you'd recommend - aside from the obvious touristy stuff like CN Tower, Niagara Falls etc.

Can't wait to see how this thread, like most in general nonsense, descends into a political argument about independence/Brexit/Jeremy Corbyn's train-floor sitting pants being on fire :)

Take the boat trip across to the Toronto Islands. Check to see if there's a band you like or an ice hockey game on at the Air Canada Centre, we saw R.E.M. in it when we were there, plus a Maple Leafs v Canadiens hockey game - fantastic venue.

Stu, in the city centre is a theatre group called 'Buddies In Bad Times' - get a photo standing outside with the sign in shot! You'll know you've found it when you see the rainbow flags outside....

Get it sorted MacPherson / Toronto.... http://buddiesinbadtimes.com

Go to see the Massey Hall - where Rush recorded 'All the World's A Stage' :P

Edited by pozbaird

Went to Toronto and Niagra Falls for my honeymoon. Two great places to go.

One tip if you are in Niagra. If you see a train coming and want to cross at the level crossing, cross quickly. Me and the missus went into a restaurant as a train approached the town. We went in, had 3 courses and a few drinks and the train was still passing when we came out.

W went to a Blue Jays baseball game and waited to see a home run. An hour and 10 mins later we finally say one.

I will never get those 70 minutes back although we did get picked out for the kiss cam!

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Take the boat trip across to the Toronto Islands. Check to see if there's a band you like or an ice hockey game on at the Air Canada Centre, we saw R.E.M. in it when we were there, plus a Maple Leafs v Canadiens hockey game - fantastic venue.

Stu, in the city centre is a theatre group called 'Buddies In Bad Times' - get a photo standing outside with the sign in shot! You'll know you've found it when you see the rainbow flags outside....

Get it sorted MacPherson / Toronto.... http://buddiesinbadtimes.com

Go to see the Massey Hall - where Rush recorded 'All the World's A Stage' :P

That's fantastic, will have to try to find that sign. Although given I'm going with my brother some of the locals might think we're a couple.

Sadly we're going at pretty much the wrong time for sport. The only thing that's on is a Toronto Argonauts game, which is the Canadian equivalent of that NFL nonsense you watch. I think Adele is playing a couple of nights we're there but guessing that'll be sold out.

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

Was there for three weeks in 1989. Might have changed a bit from when I was there.:rolleyes:

Do everything at Niagara falls. The maid of the mist and the tunnel underneath the falls are both breath taking. You can also stand within about 6 feet of the falls as they go over the edge. Go down the walkway along the Niagara river as the rapids are astounding, as is the giant whirlpool where the river bend turns back on itself. There's a cable car over the whirlpool, but I shat out of going on it as the whirlpool freaked me out. 

The Science centre was pretty impressive too.

There's a park down near the boardwalk where we saw The Monkees playing live. (I told you it was a long time ago :lol:). Can't remember what it was called though.

We also went up to Buckhorn lake a bit further north, which has stunning scenery. A couple of hours away on a bus. You could hire houseboats etc. to go touring for a couple of days or do some fishing. I seem to remember we went with my mates cousin who owned a houseboat, on which we proceeded to get very drunk for 2 or 3 days.

Anyway, it's a fantastic place. Enjoy yourself.

Don't worry, that's relatively recent compared to when my mum went. She told me to see the CN Tower, I asked if she'd been up it and she replied it hadn't been built when she was over :o

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

.Don't worry, that's relatively recent compared to when my mum went. She told me to see the CN Tower, I asked if she'd been up it and she replied it hadn't been built when she was over :o

Just had a look for an image f the cable car over the whirlpool and discovered they've now got a jet boat that goes right into the whirlpool.:o

Feel free to try that if you've packed your brown trousers.

whirlpool-jet-boat-in-the-niagara-river.jpg

Guest TPAFKATS

Aye, right.

Although, I have noticed that, when I have to deal with Canadian relatives, a drink always seems like a good idea.

Haha
I got on fine with them.
My BiL keeps a well stocked beer fridge, which always helps [emoji482]

Guest TPAFKATS

On the CN tower, if you are suitably insane, you can now absail or at least fanny about on ropes on the outside of it.
I watched from the baseball stadium during one of those lulls in play that all North American sports have.

You`ll love Toronto, its a cracking city. We went in 2004.  

Niagara Falls had me captivated, we took the maid of the mist and also the helicopter flight. Its also worth seeing them at night.  Niagara itself was a wee bit tacky in places, but as has been said elsewhere, Niagara on the Lake is well worth the visit, its like stepping back in time.

Enjoy.

6 hours ago, FTOF said:

Just had a look for an image f the cable car over the whirlpool and discovered they've now got a jet boat that goes right into the whirlpool.:o

Aye, me and my mate done this boat trip right into the whirlpool.

It was superb.

Agree with the above post on Niagara being tacky, such a shame as the money generated should be enough to provide a stunning resort to match the Falls.

11 hours ago, FTOF said:

Yeah, don't think I fancy that! There's a tower at the Falls that I wasn't too bothered about going up but the view in the photo I saw looks stunning.

11 hours ago, tony soprano said:

A view from under the falls
fd4c6b1144ef1ad86e5da134d3a1778f.jpg

And another looking at the maid of the mist as it attempted to turn around.
f43aebf67efb075568049c5434097f79.jpg

Not sure I like the way you said it "attempted" to turn :unsure:

Stu, this is going to sound daft, but in a previous post I mentioned the Air Canada Centre. Inside the centre, near the ticket sales booths, I had the best take-away coffee I've ever had. The place was empty as we were down in the morning and no event was on. We got it from a wee coffee cart that looked like it was there during the day for staff who worked in the place to get their morning coffee and croissants etc from.

If you venture in, let me know if the cart is still there!... And have a cappucino. :D

Edited by pozbaird

Guest TPAFKATS
Stu, this is going to sound daft, but in a previous post I mentioned the Air Canada Centre. Inside the centre, near the ticket sales booths, I had the best take-away coffee I've ever had. The place was empty as we were down in the morning and no event was on. We got it from a wee coffee cart that looked like it was there during the day for staff who worked in the place to get their morning coffee and croissants etc from.

If you venture in, let me know if the cart is still there!... And have a cappucino. [emoji3]

I have a continuing Tim Horton's coffee addiction. Luckily, there's one on every street corner in the Niagara and Toronto areas.
Their donuts urnae bad either.
Managed to bring a few bags of coffee back with me.

Guest TPAFKATS
Not sure I like the way you said it "attempted" to turn :unsure:

I'm sure it was just letting the tourists get a better view...

I was on one years ago and kept thinking 'thats far enough, you must be turning around now, oh...'

1 minute ago, tony soprano said:

I have a continuing Tim Horton's coffee addiction. Luckily, there's one on every street corner in the Niagara and Toronto areas.

I was in Seattle recently and had a coffee in the original Starbucks at Pike Place Market. Went in at night when the Japanese tourists had all left. Was an almost religious experience.. :P

4 hours ago, tony soprano said:

That's cleared up where to go for cheap donuts seeing as there are seemingly no Dunkin Donuts in Canada :)

Edited by Stu

What a cracking thread. Very interesting. I got hooked on Canada when I saw O'Rourke Of The Royal Mounted as a boy. Great movie. Always said I would go to Canada but never have. All this talk gives me the notion to go again. I stayed in The Watermill when I was over for the Morton game and The Hamills were right outside my bedroom. The noise sent me to sleep. The ducks quacked me awake in the morning and I watched a heron fishing right at the top. Very picturesque.

One of the few threads where never was posted a discouraging word.