What makes a St Mirren Fan?

I'm not taking offence to any of this. I am a customer and I did used to be a fan. I just don't get is why you think that's a weaker proposition. I'm in control now, I don't just empty my pockets on demand. And at the same time if a club wants to keep me going back they need to make the match day experience enjoyable whether or not that involves winning. 

I love my football and would never be without it. What makes you and I different is that I'm more discerning whilst you aren't. I can't see how that makes it a weaker proposition.  

What a scream ,I'm not a fan just a customer. Yet you go to games, joined SMISA buy out spend up to 6 hours daily on the St Mirren fans forum. Aye Stuart you are not a fan . LOL !

We are all fans that are treated as customers and mugs. 

Treated as mugs definitely , I don't think any business would treat customers the way football clubs treat their fans.

In 2012 fans across Scotland started to act like customers. Refusing en mass to buy season tickets for the coming season and the panic that caused in football boardrooms was the ONLY reason Chairmen and Directors even considered throwing Rangers out the top flight. I wish all fans would act more like customers more often. It would certainly drive up standards

Being a supporter of a team like Saints is a choice , our choice. Nobody made me support them, my Dad was a Rangers fan cause he grew up in Govan, it was his local team end of. Same for me. Saints were my local team....Just so happens in 1977 we were on up and had Fergie.

The fans on here are passionate, that sometimes spills over into name calling , so what big deal.

We are also a little spoilt and somewhat delusional

In my  time we have had 3 Promos, 3 relegations, One SC, One LC, One BQ Cup, not lost to Ton in 18 years, Lots of Semi Finals and a LC final.

Look at the history and that's not bad in 40 odd years. This is a dip. It only becomes a crisis if we get relegated again. That might happen... but who knows.

In truth me are a yoyo club, not good enough to truly challenge, not bad enough to be fodder.

Killie, Dumferline, Dundee, Hibs have far more pedigree than we do. Historically speaking.

We have actually lost more games than any other senior team in Scotland, that's a fact, simply cause in a lot of seasons , we hung on in the top league.

Hey we can all glory hunt, but its in the blood and whatever we think of each other its the one common bond we have.

We support Saints, good , bad, crap and shite with a wee chance of brilliance!!!

Being a St Mirren fan is like climbing up Ben Nevis coverd in smoth ice with a big cross over your shoulder. Well it feels like that since we won the league cup with no light at the end of the tunnel. However like a good few fans on this forum have been a regular since the year 1967. Would not change it for anything the good time come and go and will come back again just hope I am around to experience it.

On ‎05‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 3:40 PM, Stuart Dickson said:

I'm not taking offence to any of this. I am a customer and I did used to be a fan. I just don't get is why you think that's a weaker proposition. I'm in control now, I don't just empty my pockets on demand. And at the same time if a club wants to keep me going back they need to make the match day experience enjoyable whether or not that involves winning. 

I love my football and would never be without it. What makes you and I different is that I'm more discerning whilst you aren't. I can't see how that makes it a weaker proposition.  

Mr Dickson. I can see from your post that you have decided that you are more discerning than I am. That may be so but I see it more clearly. This is a difference of opinion, yours and mine. You are welcome to yours. I do not share it but do see where you are coming from. I am afraid that I have no idea who you are or why your opinion should carry more weight. I am happy to be one of the unknown Saints.

Edited by St.Ricky

Mr Dickson. I can see from your post that you have decided that you are more discerning than I am. That may be so but I see it more clearly. This is a difference of opinion, yours and mine. You are welcome to yours. I do not share it but do see where you are coming from. I am afraid that I have no idea who you are or why your opinion should carry more weight. I am happy to be one of the unknown Saints.

I'm not claiming it's an opinion that carries more weight. It's just a statement of fact. If you are a fan of something you are always going to be less discerning than a customer. That works whether your talking about football, bands, or even mobile phones.

11 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

I'm not claiming it's an opinion that carries more weight. It's just a statement of fact. If you are a fan of something you are always going to be less discerning than a customer. That works whether your talking about football, bands, or even mobile phones.

Stuart. I will not use up any more energy on this. All any thinking person needs to do is accept that it is ok to differ. In that spirit, this is the last time I will reply to your comments.

You feel that you are stating a fact. I think you are stating an opinion.

For some reason that escapes me, it seems that you feel that I may be guilty of self-delusion or at least have blind spots regarding improvements that can be made.

Neither, I assure you is correct. I do not see this forum as a vehicle to be used merely to voice discontent.

It is possible that some do. Good luck with your posting on B&W Army.

Enjoy the game you are going to see on Saturday, wherever that is.

For me, I will be at Paisley 2021 Stadium.

Strangely, I will be a fan and a paying customer.

Now there's a thought.

Stuart. I will not use up any more energy on this. All any thinking person needs to do is accept that it is ok to differ. In that spirit, this is the last time I will reply to your comments.

You feel that you are stating a fact. I think you are stating an opinion.

For some reason that escapes me, it seems that you feel that I may be guilty of self-delusion or at least have blind spots regarding improvements that can be made.

Neither, I assure you is correct. I do not see this forum as a vehicle to be used merely to voice discontent.

It is possible that some do. Good luck with your posting on B&W Army.

Enjoy the game you are going to see on Saturday, wherever that is.

For me, I will be at Paisley 2021 Stadium.

Strangely, I will be a fan and a paying customer.

Now there's a thought.

Fair enough, we'll agree to differ. I haven't claimed you have blind spots, but I do question the ability of the fan to force clubs to listen. Look at the issue of league reconstruction. The majority of fans want a larger top league, club directors don't. Fans have done nothing about it. Yet when club directors considered giving Rangers an easy ride in 2012 they were forced to listen when fans acted like customers and refused to buy season tickets.

I'd like to see fans act like customers far more often. Better still I'd like to see everyone drop the role of fan to realise that they are customers. I do think it would be a far more powerful relationship