Our Mission at Saint Mirren is to.....Discuss.

St.Ricky

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 11:28 PM, Stuart Dickson said:

Yeah I see what you are doing. I just struggle to define how I'd like to see the club in a concise mission statement. My best effort would be something along the lines of doing the right things for all the right reasons.

I'm in England just now seeing examples of community work in football clubs. I don't know if it's getting coverage North of the border but on Monday I witnessed something special. A young Sunderland supporter who has a rare form of cancer was match mascot. On the 5th minute fans of both Sunderland and Everton had over a minutes applause for the lad. A collection was made, there's been club campaigns running for days, and on Monday after the match Everton FC donated the final £200k to get the lad his treatment. That's the power football can have when it does the right thing. Today I was at a other club - far smaller in size and I was talking to a few of their volunteers. One guy was telling me how the club saved his life. He was suffering from depression and had been self harming to a pretty severe degree. Someone in his family volunteered him to do some work at the time and he reckons it gave him a purpose to his life and a new focus. I love those stories but when I look at Scottish Football I don't hear anything like those stories going on.

Nonsense Stuart.There is wee Jay at Celtic and young Lee Welsh at Rangers who has just beat cancer.Huge backing for both from fans of all clubs including our own.

1 hour ago, Stuart Dickson said:

There are many examples that prove you wrong. Cowdenbeath are one. What keeps Cowdenbeath part time when St Mirren are full time? What's to say that if St Mirren continue to slide the two won't swap places? After all Cowdenbeath are apparently "lucky enough" not to have Rangers and Celtic a few miles down the road.

There may very well be examples that prove my hypothesis is wrong (or needs refining) but Cowdenbeath isn't one of them. It doesn't really matter why Cowdenbeath are p/t but it's clear that they are, if they manage to increase their turnover and go f/t then I'll move them into Tier 3. As so often happens your desire to prove that you're smarter than the rest of us has backfired. That's irony or maybe hubris - I'm sure you'd know which.

I reckon you know Im right though. You're a customer only interested in what you get for your cash. But those running a business need to have their back office sorted. For St Mirren to enjoy success - either cyclical or sustained - they need to work better with the local target audience.

Empty words it's easy to say "the club must do better" but when you tried to give examples in the 1877 Club thread they were risible. Btw I'd call myself a fan but I'm not really interested in getting into a debate about semantics with someone who obviously spends more time thinking about the club than me. :rolleyes: 

Edited by Bud the Baker

Nonsense Stuart.There is wee Jay at Celtic and young Lee Welsh at Rangers who has just beat cancer.Huge backing for both from fans of all clubs including our own.

Never heard of Lee Welsh. And the Jay story isn't one about raising money. The last time I tried to get support on here for a kid with blastoma the response was generally abusive with one forum user in particular claiming if the NHS deemed her incurable we shouldn't be raising her hopes by funding treatment elsewhere.

I also remember the response when I suggested collecting Daily Record Kits For Kids to get local Paisley schools and clubs some free kit. With the official response from the club being to ask me why St Mirren should give the Daily Record free advertising.

I'm afraid my experience of Scottish football is that it is hardly benevolent.

Never heard of Lee Welsh. And the Jay story isn't one about raising money. The last time I tried to get support on here for a kid with blastoma the response was generally abusive with one forum user in particular claiming if the NHS deemed her incurable we shouldn't be raising her hopes by funding treatment elsewhere.

I also remember the response when I suggested collecting Daily Record Kits For Kids to get local Paisley schools and clubs some free kit. With the official response from the club being to ask me why St Mirren should give the Daily Record free advertising.

I'm afraid my experience of Scottish football is that it is hardly benevolent.

We have had food banks, collections for charity , keep fit classes for people like yourself who are over weight, Staff from the club going round schools helping to develop football, free match tickets. Lost my bank card unknown to me at the stadium, club contacted me directly. No doubt there is a lot more the club does. But hey hoo you always have a negative approach when it comes to your club Stuart. If you feel so strongly about such things I'm sure the fans council can fit you in after all that's what it's there for.

23 hours ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

We have had food banks, collections for charity , keep fit classes for people like yourself who are over weight, Staff from the club going round schools helping to develop football, free match tickets. Lost my bank card unknown to me at the stadium, club contacted me directly. No doubt there is a lot more the club does. But hey hoo you always have a negative approach when it comes to your club Stuart. If you feel so strongly about such things I'm sure the fans council can fit you in after all that's what it's there for.

Oh FFS. The FFIT programme was grant funded. A programme that ran for 12 weeks, once a year for three years across a number of Scottish Football clubs who took the opportunity to grab some cash. The programme showed some benefits and the average weight loss across those 12 weeks was shown to be 4,94kg - around half a stone - better than the comparison group who didn't take part in the programme. The findings also showed that of those who took part in the programme had maintained a weight loss of around 5% of their initial body weight 12 months later. The FFIT scheme hasn't been funded again since 2014 - do you know why?  It's because health and weight loss experts now believe that the best route to weight loss is to change the habits that you have through regular and sustained activity - not from a once a week fitness session that runs for 12 weeks. Not one of the clubs involved took the programme beyond the funded period. Now I've got absolutely no problem with any club being involved in schemes like this to earn money. If the contract is there, bid for it and run it as stipulated, but unless you make it sustainable don't pat the clubs back for it like it's done something superb for the community by taking the cash when it was available. 

The food bank collection I remember. I'm not sure about the collections for charity. Certainly I've seen collectors outside the stadium, but most weeks those bucket collections appear to be for the funding of the academy. 

You need to have a look at what is happening elsewhere though IoBS. There's a huge number excellent examples of how a proper community football team should be run right across Europe that certainly puts Scottish clubs to shame for their lack of effort and commitment. Funnily enough, those clubs also often benefit from large, loyal supports from their local community, regardless of how the team is performing on the park. 

• 1 year later...