Fans Council

Has the Fans Council been a success?

It's aims are as follows:

• To act as an intermediary between the Club and the Fans
  • To share knowledge and best practice and to improve relationships between the various stakeholders, in particular the relationship between the Fans and the Club.
  • To provide a good communication flow, between the Club and the Fans.
  • To provide a platform for the Fans to ensure they are involved in appropriate decision making.
  • To act as the prime movers in various fund raising initiatives for the mutual benefit of the Club, the Fans and the Community.

They have helped to deliver the 1877 club and have worked closely with the Disabled Supporters Association regarding a covered disabled area in the stadium.

I personally feel that communication between the club and fans is as poor as ever (St.Mirren seem to be hopeless at PR). It's also worth noting that Council minutes have not been uploaded on to the Council website since February.

Their heart is in the right place and I can't fault their great effort they are putting into our Club. 

I would give them 8 out of 10 and hope they carry on the excellent work. 

Just one downside. No more choosing of the St Mirren Kit. This Season's Top is one of the worst in our history. 

I won't be criticising a group of folk who devote their own time and energy to promoting the interests of the club.

All I would say is that I don't feel a great connection with the FC, or get any clear sense that they represent me, as an ordinary supporter. I didn't feel much of a connection to SMiSA before I signed up, though, so its most likely more about me than the respective organisations. I haven't approached the FC with any issues or requests/suggestions, so can't judge their accessibility or effectiveness.

Yes, the club has been traditionally poor when it comes to PR. Should the FC have done more to address that? No idea, really.  I imagine the principal responsibility for it remains with the club itself.

• To share knowledge and best practice and to improve relationships between the various stakeholders, in particular the relationship between the Fans and the Club.
  • To provide a platform for the Fans to ensure they are involved in appropriate decision making.
  • To act as the prime movers in various fund raising initiatives for the mutual benefit of the Club, the Fans and the Community.
They have helped to deliver the 1877 club and have worked closely with the Disabled Supporters Association regarding a covered disabled area in the stadium.

I personally feel that communication between the club and fans is as poor as ever (St.Mirren seem to be hopeless at PR). It's also worth noting that Council minutes have not been uploaded on to the Council website since February.

It would be more constructive if you would write what you want ? I'm not into golf those who have attended say it's a great day out. Was in the fans bar which is fantastic. Read interviews with our manager on the official forum. Not really intrested in the day to day running of the club. Why don't you join the fans council if you think it's not working I'm 100% sure they will listen to what ideas you have.

I do agree with the poster in a sense about the lack of communication but that is not just from fans council that is from all at the club, maybe more communication would help fans not on the council or with smisa know what is happening at the club. can not fault the council on anything else they organise events for the fans n try get players to mingle on these events so a big well done on that from myself.

13 hours ago, Cairters_Corner said:

SMISA don't do minutes either.  Business is discussed, decisions taken, tasks are allocated and appointments are made.  All we get is an infrequent update and a vague "anyone can attend the meetings"  when this is queried.

Given that the membership has swelled so much, would it be too much to ask that we get informed, if not not consulted, on what is happening there?

Would it not make sense for the Judean People's Front and the People's Front of Judea to sit down and speak about being one body or at least agreeing what areas each are going to operate (or maybe they already have?), there seems little point in one body emailing its membership asking what they want to do with half a dinari every 3 months and the other having possibly started doing something about the same thing/s.

8 minutes ago, melmac said:

Would it not make sense for the Judean People's Front and the People's Front of Judea to sit down and speak about being one body or at least agreeing what areas each are going to operate (or maybe they already have?), there seems little point in one body emailing its membership asking what they want to do with half a dinari every 3 months and the other having possibly started doing something about the same thing/s.

This would entail both bodies telling someone else what they are up to.  Are you mad?  That would take all the fun out of it.

I don't think we can compare SMISA and The Fans Council. They have a different set of responsibilities but ultimately they both set out to do the best they can for the club and the fans. 

Both groups should be applauded and we should be thankful to the individuals who give up their own time for no personal reward. 

I've given the fans council a bit of stick but I'm genuinely thankful for what they've done. 

Edited by davidg

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 11:59 PM, Cairters_Corner said:

I appreciate anyone and any group that gives up their own time to make a difference but only if it is unconditional. I cannot abide folk who step up and let you know they have stepped up but at the back of their mind is "what is in this for me?"

Fortunately/Unfortunately, I don't know anyone on the fans council other than I bumped into Jack Paterson twice about 10 years ago. My opinion on the fans council is based  what they have delivered and not delivered and the conduct of FC members on this forum.

• They've done some great stuff but for exiles like me, updated meetings minutes would be a valuable tool to keep informed of things. Nothing since February shouldn't be acceptable to the FC, the fans or The Club. There should be a timeframe after each meeting to upload the minutes so that The Fans are getting updated in a timely manner.
    • Information needs to be accurate, not what they think it is and if they are not prepared to go find out for sure, they shouldn't be on the fans council.
    • It's not happening when someone posts that they know something and then tell forum members to speak to the club themselves and that he posted nonsense because he was bored.
    • Their should be a code of conduct for Fans Council members. Especially if frequenting the various fans forums & they should refrain from petty name calling or goading other posters in rows and most above all, any reply they make to a question, should be accurate to the best of their knowledge and if they don't know, help get the snwer or say nought at all.
    • what is appropriate decision making? 1877 Club entry criteria? Away fan seating allocation? To move fans to accommodate other clubs?
    • They certainly succeed here. fund raising can be a thankless task but nonetheless, their fundraising is well publicised and i'd hope, well supported too.
    • Now that the 1877 Club is open & running, i'd like to see it used for functions involving the fans & community. Quiz nights, race nights, comedy nights etc etc.

2 very huge positives and fantastic achievements

I think the FC should have an agreed timeframe for posting meetings minutes. It has a feel of an "old boys network" about it at the moment.

Personally, I'd like to see a collaboration of the great work both SMISA & the FC do and a good bit more working together for the club. To me, it looks that each other looks at the other through beady eyes and a wee bit of suspicion of they don't like us. An amalgamation wouldn't go amiss considering SMISA are the prime movers in the takeover and would definitely be in the interests of The Club if they started working together, as one and not two separate entities trying to do similar things. Join & be stronger or don't and compete against each other.

err, that's it, I think. Have a good day.