Alex Rae: sacked!

ulysses

Me and my mate won't attended another game this season . We are both season ticket holders so paid our dues . I told you last week that Tony Fitzpatrick will get the job . Don't even go there as I was huge fan of Tonys and well aware of what he done as a player . Rae and Farrell were badly treated in the circumstances and the next guy will be very aware of the clubs record and will go " belts and braces " on his and his back room team contracts . What's all this GUS McPherson and John Hughes stuff ! It's just a merry go round and it's time to get off it . If the new guy has to work under the same circumstances as Rae and Farrell then fine but if all of a sudden a load of money is available !!! That tells me that there has been a plan all along . This new chairman is great guy with everyone else's money ! Anyway no doubt people will disagree with me but like you all I wish the team well for rest of season .

Loyal Supporter. Would change that if I was you. Can tell you for fact TF is not interested in being manager. What money is the chairman playing with. Gordon owns 50.5% of the club which makes him the owner and needs no one permission to do anything. Think you might be a wee bit delusional.

Just to be clear , IVE supported the Club all my life my pal also . We've had quite a few arguments in the past about managers as he's forever wanting then sacked . Danny Lennon a prime example , he wanted him sacked !!! Kept us up and won a cup ! It's just mental . Anyway so if Tony becomes manager or Director Of Football are you going to say to me I was correct ? What if big pile of money becomes available to buy players are you lot going to believe that the new Chairman put up his own money ? 

Just to be clear , IVE supported the Club all my life my pal also . We've had quite a few arguments in the past about managers as he's forever wanting then sacked . Danny Lennon a prime example , he wanted him sacked !!! Kept us up and won a cup ! It's just mental . Anyway so if Tony becomes manager or Director Of Football are you going to say to me I was correct ? What if big pile of money becomes available to buy players are you lot going to believe that the new Chairman put up his own money ? 

Put your crystal ball in the bin mate it playing on your head too much.

I never said you've not been a fan for a long time. But what you think goes on behind the scenes is a wrong. What piles of money is this. Is GS gonna win a 4 times roll over in the euro lottery.

15 minutes ago, Loyal Supporter said:

Danny Lennon was NOT sacked.  Tony will not be the next manager.

16 hours ago, TopCat said:

Duds like Webster, Shankland, Gallagher, Langfield and Clarkson who were all part of our failure last season should all have been rinsed in the summer. Remarkably they were all retained, unsurprisingly they all stayed shite.

Agree with most of your post but since when was Shankland a dud? He's only 21 and got into double figures last season.

14 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

Danny Lennon was NOT sacked.  Tony will not be the next manager.

It would have been nicer for Danny to have been actually sacked, instead of waiting until a few days after his last game of the season to tell him he wasn't getting a new deal when his contract was up in a few weeks time and congratulating SGG and co on getting rid of a manager without a big pay off.

2 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

It would have been nicer for Danny to have been actually sacked, instead of waiting until a few days after his last game of the season to tell him he wasn't getting a new deal when his contract was up in a few weeks time and congratulating SGG and co on getting rid of a manager without a big pay off.

Indeed.

Whether or not you favoured him staying, he was ultimately treated very shabbily.

14 minutes ago, Alba said:

Agree with most of your post but since when was Shankland a dud? He's only 21 and got into double figures last season.

And Langfield had a 2 year deal as goalkeeper and coach which would have no doubt meant it would have been costly to pay him off 1 year early when no one else was queueing up to make him an offer at another club!

The best we can realistically hope for is midtable in the SPL when we have a good manager, good structure at the club, youth development doing well, and a few choice older players who can encourage the young players coming through and provide a bit of leadership and responsibility on the park. If we ever reach that next level of midtable in the SPL we will still have a few players in the starting XI who are not ideal but OK at that level. When we get to the dizzy heights of 5th - 8th I think we should agree to enjoy it a bit more next time. 

I understand Gordon Scott is in control and IVE no problem at all with that . I also pay my monthly contribution so he got my full support and of course I understand it's his job to make the big decisions . So he's not stuck by the manager after a poor run of results , fine . He's now set a trend and he will know himself he needs to get the next appointment spot on or he will need to fire this guy also .  All I'm trying to point out is that if all of a sudden money is available to the new manager that was not available to Alex Rae then I'd be questioning where the funds are coming from all of a sudden . I did say I won't be back this season but I'm all talk . If I don't go back I'll get the Wife complaining that I bought a season ticket and do my bank payment every month ! Can't win !

1 hour ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Agree 100% and one of many bad moves by the old BOD.  Thought Danny was a great ambassador for the club but also he had probably taken us as far as he could without any further detrimental affect on his health.  The moves post Danny was what led to our fall from top tier to where we are now.  

51 minutes ago, Loyal Supporter said:

I understand Gordon Scott is in control and IVE no problem at all with that . I also pay my monthly contribution so he got my full support and of course I understand it's his job to make the big decisions . So he's not stuck by the manager after a poor run of results , fine . He's now set a trend and he will know himself he needs to get the next appointment spot on or he will need to fire this guy also .  All I'm trying to point out is that if all of a sudden money is available to the new manager that was not available to Alex Rae then I'd be questioning where the funds are coming from all of a sudden . I did say I won't be back this season but I'm all talk . If I don't go back I'll get the Wife complaining that I bought a season ticket and do my bank payment every month ! Can't win !

I ask again, what available money are you talking about LS?  We haven't appointed a new manager yet.  The next manager will need to assess the squad, determine what needs to be done to strengthen key areas and then he will need to discuss what funding is required against what is available.  I don't understand the basis of your financial comments? Btw, money was made available to Alex Rae, he choose not to bolster the midfield and spend on bringing in defenders and strikers so how was money not made available?

1 hour ago, Loyal Supporter said:

sI understand Gordon Scott is in control and IVE no problem at all with that . I also pay my monthly contribution so he got my full support and of course I understand it's his job to make the big decisions . So he's not stuck by the manager after a poor run of results , fine . He's now set a trend and he will know himself he needs to get the next appointment spot on or he will need to fire this guy also .  All I'm trying to point out is that if all of a sudden money is available to the new manager that was not available to Alex Rae then I'd be questioning where the funds are coming from all of a sudden . I did say I won't be back this season but I'm all talk . If I don't go back I'll get the Wife complaining that I bought a season ticket and do my bank payment every month ! Can't win !

He didn't set the trend and why would there suddenly be money available. Besides the window for transfers is well closed. 

Edited by pod

1 hour ago, Drew said:

Is it unreasonable or unrealistic to expect that we could enjoy a comparable level of success to the likes of Motherwell and St Johnstone have in recent years?

We're not asking the new manager to deliver the moon on a stick.

In less than 30 months, we have sacked [or not renewed the contract] 9 coaches / assistant managers / managers.

1. Danny Lennon - manager - May 2014. Reason for sacking not taking us to the next level. Time in the job: 4 years. 2 11th place SPL finishes, 2 8th SPL place finishes, 3 Scottish Cup quarter finals (2 losses after replays), 1 League Cup victory and another League Cup QF.

2. Tommy Craig - manager - December 2014. Reason for sacking... trailblazing the way to the next level (which turned out to be down). Time in job: 6 months as manager.

3. Jim Goodwin - coach and co-assistant manager - December 2014. Sacked as coach and put on a final warning about discipline as a player. Time in job: 6 months.

4. Gary Teale - former coach and co-assistant manager and then interim manager thingy until sacked in May 2015 for not saving our season against all the odds.Time in job... it depends whether you include his time as caretaker manager preparing for the Argentinian takeover in December and most of January, or only count from when he was finally appointed interim manager for 4 months.

5. Mark Spalding - assistant manager, left by mutual consent, October 2015. Time in job: 5 months.

6. Ian Murray - manager - resigned December 2015. Time in job: 7 months.

7. Alex Miller - assistant manager / mentor to Ian Murray, non-contract not continued December 2015! Time in job: let's round it up to 2 months.

8. Alex Rae - manager September 2016. Time in job: 9 months. Record - saved us from almost certain relegation play off place and then 6 league games without a win suddenly becomes a sacking offence as well as smiling and waving at fans abusing him. Dismissed the same week as the CEO and board member calls him an excellent manager deserving more time to sort things out.

9. David Farrell - assistant manager September 2016. Time in job: 8 months a week or two.

I think we need to own up to being a dreadful club to work for. All nine men worked for the club while it was up for sale and subject to various takeover bids. If we are a club who sacks, dismisses people after 2,4,5,6 months then the appointments have been wrong in the first place and there is not a supportive structure in place for a management team to settle in and do well in (and in turn put in place a structure where the first team can improve, coaches can develop, and where young development can flourish).

You ask why we can't even sometimes do as well as Motherwell or St Johnstone?

Motherwell season 2013/14: Manager Stuart McCall: SPL 2nd placed; knocked out SC 4th round by Albion Rovers; LC QF defeat to Aberdeen.

Motherwell season 2014/15: Managers Stuart McCall (resigned) / Kenny Black (caretaker) / Ian Barraclough. SPL: 11th. Knocked out both cups in first match.

Motherwell season 2015/16: Managers Ian Barraclough followed by Mark McGhee. SPL: 5th. SC 5th round, LC 3rd round (losing to Morton). McGhee survives a 6 games run without a win in January to mid-February which includes a 6-0 pumping by Hearts.

Motherwell season 2016/17: Manager Mark McGhee: SPL currently 6th, LC qualified from group stage as 2nd placed then lost 5-0 to Celtic in next round.

St Johnstone season 2013/14: Manager Tommy Wright: SPL 6th. LC semi final; SC winners.(Wright survives 5 games without a win at start of season and 4 at end of season).

St Johnstone season 2014/15: Manager Tommy Wright: SPL 4th (despite losing 5 league games on the bounce in September - October and drawing the next game) LC QF loss to Rangers International, SC put out by Queen of the South in their 2nd match.

St Johnstone season 2015/16: Manager Tommy Wright: SPL 4th (2 runs of 4 games without a win). LC semi final defeat to Hibs SC 4th round exit to Killie.

St Johnstone have had 1 manager during the time we've gone through 5 managers, 3 assistants and a coach / co-assistant manager. Motherwell have had 3 managers in the same time, 1 resigned, 1 was fired and the other is still in post. Motherwell made 1 bad appointment in the time we have had so many managerial casualties. Both Mark McGhee and Tommy Wright have survived being on the kind of run of league results which saw Alex Rae dismissed.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

4 minutes ago, pod said:

How long would you have given him.

Until the end of October when we had played the first couple of the second round of league games, assuming we were getting some results. Our 3 league defeats have been to the top 3 in the league while we have been under-strength.

PS I have never been a fan of Rae's style of play

39 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Until the end of October when we had played the first couple of the second round of league games, assuming we were getting some results. Our 3 league defeats have been to the top 3 in the league while we have been under-strength.

PS I have never been a fan of Rae's style of play

We're lucky to have any points at all . We've been easily the poorest team in all our league games .

2 of those draws were against part time teams .