The Jack Ross and James Fowler Appreciation Thread

2 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Craig Storie - is he injured? Not been even listed as a sub recently when our bench was looking a bit thin and was hit and miss in his few appearances

Josh Tod has been confined to a few short occasional subs appearances.

Storie has looked better from the bench than when he's started, McGinn is easily better than him though, hence his being limited to occasioal sub appearances.

Todd looked pretty good yesterday when he came on. A lot of good work for the sixth goal

11 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I agree with most of what you've said except that all of Jack Ross's signings have been a success. Make no mistake I think he has made some season-changing signings and some of our best signings since the year where we signed Goodwin, Teale, Thompson and McGowan up. I would argue that as well as being excellent signings in their own right based on their own contributions Stephen McGinn, Harry Davis, Cammy Smith have I feel also played a major role in taking the weight off other players and helping to improve the form of players like Stevie Mallan, Lewis Morgan, Kyle Magennis, Jack Baird and competition for places brought by the arrival of Adam Eckersley and Stellios have seen Gary Irvine raise his game. Overall I think Jack Ross has made a few sure fire successes in his January signings that it has been alright in the end that he hasn't had a 100% success rate with all his January signings (what manager does)?

Billy O' Brien has been an improvement on Scott Gallacher and Jamie Langfield but if we signed someone else in the summer I wouldn't be heartbroken, he seems indecisive and spills a few shots every game when he looks like he has done the hard work.

Pal - has been alright and unspectacular in his few appearances so far and his versatility could come in handy if we pick up more injuries and suspensions.

Stellious - hardly has a mediocre game... he was probably my man of the match yesterday and was the matchwinner in the home game against Hibs as well. I think he has been unlucky not to play more often. When he is off form he can be a liability.

Craig Storie - is he injured? Not been even listed as a sub recently when our bench was looking a bit thin and was hit and miss in his few appearances

Josh Tod has been confined to a few short occasional subs appearances.

OK - maybe I was getting a wee bit carried away D.O.P (just a wee bit) - can you blame me after yesterday ? :)

If I was to amend what I said I would still say that there have been no failures as opposed to all successes. A subtle distinction but a concession none the less. The four 'lesser-successes' (for lack of a better phrase) would be O'Brien, Fjelde, Storie and Todd. O'Brien initially looked a star but is suffering a bit in terms of confidence. He's still better than we had before. Fjelde has looked fine/ok when called upon. I agree with hit and miss for Storie and also that Todd hasn't had a chance to shine (although he was ok when he came on yesterday).

What I would say is that all additions (including the four 'lessers') have at least added depth to the squad and therefore have not been failures. 

So yep - not everyone signed has been a 100% success but none has been a shocker and - overall - the January recruitment phase was a very, very successful one.

I believe we will stay up but sometimes the results of the other teams seem to have been almost conspiracy like in terms of making our job harder. If we fall short, I believe that JR will get us back up in a season and he should get that season.

3 hours ago, Kombibuddie said:

Had a double result yesterday.
The score, cracking result.
&
After the match, the wife was picking me & my son jumped into the car & he said "we won 6-2"

Living in London for 30 years & Innes being 'english' & having little interest in football, these were words i never thought i'd her. I was nearly crying.

Further in his story, he said "us",
i was bawling.

Best results ever yesterday. Was for me. emoji16.png

Nice meeting you and Jim, you can come any time,and the pints are getting cheaper:D

Hopefully we can keep Jack Ross for a couple of seasons, if we can then we'll be back in the premiership in no time.
Enjoy him while he is here,  we have a gem on our hands.

Your post suggests Jack Ross has aspirations for success as a football manager & I agree, he should & i hope he achieves his dreams.

I hope St Mirren try to match his aspirations & i can see no reason why both cannot do this together.

Maybe Fitzy had Jack in mind when he was waxing lyrical about success.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to Jack and the players on their 6th win in 10 league games where we have had only 1 defeat and 3 draws. Looking like we may yet hit promotion-winning-form and stay up without being involved in the play-off if we can keep the form going for a few more games. All the more impressive for keeping the wins coming after losing 2 key players  in Davis and Morgan to injury and having Eckersley suspended tonight.

18 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Congratulations to Jack and the players on their 6th win in 10 league games where we have had only 1 defeat and 3 draws. Looking like we may yet hit promotion-winning-form and stay up without being involved in the play-off if we can keep the form going for a few more games. All the more impressive for keeping the wins coming after losing 2 key players  in Davis and Morgan to injury and having Eckersley suspended tonight.

Fair play Dibs.  You are big enough to acknowledge what JR has achieved after being one of the biggest doubters on here.  Maybe Top Cat will be next up.... *insert tumble weed gif*

13 minutes ago, Drew said:

Fair play Dibs.  You are big enough to acknowledge what JR has achieved after being one of the biggest doubters on here.  Maybe Top Cat will be next up.... *insert tumble weed gif*

And fair play to you Drew as well for being one of the biggest cheerleaders for Jack Ross. I did always point out that I hoped he would succeed, and that my guess was teams like Ayr, Dumbarton and Raith were heading for around 35 points or more by the end of the season and we'd need to better that to stay up. If we achieve safety it will be a stunning achievement given we only had 4 league points at the start of December and how far behind teams like Ayr, Dumbarton, Dunfermline we found ourselves for almost half the season or more!

2 hours ago, Drew said:

He's waiting till Hell freezes over or until we go down. 

2 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

It has never been about being right or wrong as regards JR.

It has always been about supporting the team during difficult times.

When your support was needed you werent there.

Now we are winning you are back again.

There is no gloating here. The next time our team struggles I sincerely hope more fans like you and TC find yourself capable of remaining supportive and constructive until the battle is over. Then we should talk about new contracts or managerial sackings.

That is my hope.

2 hours ago, Drew said:

TBH I think this is a time for those who remained constructive and supportive during a hellish time for the club to feel they have directly contributed to this successful run. 

TC is too late to join in all this. He wasnt there when it mattered and I dont really want to hear from him now.

We are not there yet but I think winning the next two games will end this uncertainty and wuite hinestly I wouldnt fancy facing our team in this form even with 3 of our best first team players out injured.

Edited by oaksoft

Bit of perspective required here. 

Yes Jack is fantastic and must stay next season no matter what. But let's save the told you so stuff for the end of the season. We're still hovering perilously close to a position we don't want to go back to. If we can win on Saturday and leapfrog Dumbarton, then it's more or less done, we won't get caught by 2 of the 3 below us. 

Until then though, we're still very much in the mix which is something I never thought I'd be saying at this point. 

Think one of the big things since Ross has brought in his own players in January  is the amount of goals we've scored and the number of different scorers. Since we beat Dundee at the end of January which felt like a bit of turning point, we have scored 34 goals in 16 games so averaging more than 2 a game and had 12 different scorers..

Mallan   - 5

Morgan - 5

Sutton  - 4

Loy - 4

Stelios - 3

Davis    - 3

Smith    - 2

McGinn - 2

Mckenzie - 2

Magennis - 2

Clarkson - 1

Baird - 1

ETA - For comparison.. before that Dundee game we had played 21 in the league and scored 19 goals!

Edited by irvine_buddie

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Julian Banjos said:

Before the transfer window closed - 13 points from 22 games

After the transfer window closed - 26 points from 14 games

Incredible, incredible job to rebuild a team mid-season, get the new boys to gel, get the fans and team united and, ultimately, keep us up!

This !

JR - a man management masterclass!