The Jack Ross and James Fowler Appreciation Thread

Since the win at Ayr in late February we have averaged almost exactly 2 league points per game which is excellent consistency. I make it 15 wins, 6 draws and 5 defaets in those 26 league matches. An amazing 87 goals in those games with us scoring 56 and conceeding 31.  Superb stuff need to keep it going at the current rate until the end of the season.

Lee Mair loves Jack Ross (and so do we) ......

Lee Mair reckons Jack Ross has St Mirren screaming from the rooftops because no one is whispering behind his back.

The Paisley gaffer took his troops back above Dundee United at the summit of the Championship table as the divison’s top two get set for a mighty promotion battle through the upcoming months.

Mair played for both Saints and United. He believes both of his former clubs has strong claims.

But in Ross, the ex-defender believes one team might just have an edge.

Lee-Mair.jpg
Lee Mair says his former team-mate commands total respect

Performances have been sensational since the manager walked into Saints.

Firstly, he saved them from the drop to League One. Now he’s steering the ship towards the top flight.

Mair knows talk is cheap when it comes to getting results.

But when it comes to the success of the Saints and the players’ attitude towards producing for their boss, he reckons it’s the lack of it which holds they key.

Mair explained: “I know Jack well. I played alongside him at St Mirren and you could tell he was a leader.

“He commanded respect amongst the boys and always gave 100 per cent.

JS131457586.jpg
Ross has St Mirren pushing for promotion after avoiding relegation

“When I went part-time at Dumbarton, he was assistant manager with Ian Murray.

“As much as Ian was getting a lot of the plaudits at the time, Jack was doing everything.

“I knew he was going to go on and will go on to be an unbelievable manager.

“You have seen that he’s been linked with Aberdeen if Derek McInnes goes and that doesn’t surprise me at all because he’s going to go to the top.

“He’s an intelligent guy and his man-management skills are superb.

“As a former player, a lot of guys find the transition into management tough because you need to keep a distance from the players as well.

Dundee United are expected to push St Mirren all the way (Image: SNS)

“But at the same time you need to both so they respect and Jack has got that in abundance.

“Here’s something unusual. I have not heard one player that plays under him say a bad word about him.

“You tend to find with every manager there will be one or two who are saying quietly away from training, he’s rubbish, or he’s no good.

“But with Jack, I havent heard one. Honestly.

“The way you can tell is that even boys he has dropped are still saying good things about him.

“He has that respect. He let’s them go and express themselves and understands they will make mistakes.

JS136396554.jpg
Lewis Morgan is a key player for the Saints (Image: SNS)

“He’s got St Mirren buzzing and, since Jack went into St Mirren, they have to be one of the form teams in Europe.

“His win ratio must be astonishing because because the end to last season when he got the team safe was incredible and he’s just continued it going this season.”

Ross’ impact has been phenomenal. Eight wins after the turn of the year last term ensured safety.

Having steadied the ship, nine wins out of 14 games this campaign has them above the Taysiders in the cut-throat title race.

Mair sees the impact on the park, but also, crucially, around the entire club and the town.

Heart of Midlothian v St Mirren - Scottish Communities League Cup Final
Lee Mair won the Cup with St Mirren (Image: Carl Recine/Action Images)

He said: “I went to game in hospitality at the end of last season and since the new board came in, they have galvanised the place and brought Jack into the club.

“There are young players who are exciting the fans and the place is buzzing.

“There is a sense around the whole town, especially going back to the top of the table.

“Away from that, though, the club is on the up and a strong St Mirren is a good thing for the Scottish game.

“There is a manager and an assistant in James Fowler who are young in their careers and want to go on and do well.

JS102381261.jpg
St Mirren manager Jack Ross and assistant James Fowler

“The squad is exactly the same and the blend is good.

“The likes of Stephen McGinn is in there, so is Craig Samson. The mix of youth and experience is perfect and I can just see them flourishing.”

Mair, though, has warned there will be no canter to the flag.

With United installing Csaba Laszlo as a new boss at the beginning of the month, the Tangerines are also ready to launch their own push.

Should both of these teams maintain their pace at the top of the table, Mair believes there will be a magnificent second-half to the Championship race full of intrigue and interest.

Mair said: “United are no mugs and they are going to invest. They can’t afford another season out of the Premiership, so they will spend in January.

JS134892063.jpg
St Mirren are on the up and up

“The new manager will also want new faces and they are go into with St Mirren, which will be great for the league.

“Look at last season when Hibs were in the Championship. When Hibs played United, it was a Friday night game and Easter Road was virtually sold out.

“If they met in the Premiership, they might be placed mid-table and the crowd might have been about 6,000.

“St Mirren are pushing for a title and so are United, so the fans will turn out and back them if they keep it going.

“There will be big gates and big games. It’ll be a really exciting end to the season if they keep at it.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Sh!!!  keep it quiet  and Mr Scott, given them a joint contract extension with a £1,000,000 buy out clause

18 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

As the article alludes to, Like our bright talented players, if we go on to win this league there will be vultures circling to pick off Ross. Of the SPFL clubs that could come for him, I would reckon Hearts are the most likely, followed by Sevco and then if a vacancy comes up at either Aberdeen or Hibs.

dont think any of the others would interest Ross. Hearts are my main concern as i am sure as soon as they have offset a chunk of the payoff to Cathro, Levein will want to drop back to Director of Footy being able to say "look i saved our season". I doubt if he will fancy all the risk associated with having to recruit, replace and face a whole new season in the most vulnerable job, and as previously Hearts fans will only stomach 1-0 wins or 0-0 draws for so long.

who knows if Sevco will still be in existence? Will anyone offer McInnes or Lennon a bigger job?

1 hour ago, Lord Pityme said:

As the article alludes to, Like our bright talented players, if we go on to win this league there will be vultures circling to pick off Ross. Of the SPFL clubs that could come for him, I would reckon Hearts are the most likely, followed by Sevco and then if a vacancy comes up at either Aberdeen or Hibs.

dont think any of the others would interest Ross. Hearts are my main concern as i am sure as soon as they have offset a chunk of the payoff to Cathro, Levein will want to drop back to Director of Footy being able to say "look i saved our season". I doubt if he will fancy all the risk associated with having to recruit, replace and face a whole new season in the most vulnerable job, and as previously Hearts fans will only stomach 1-0 wins or 0-0 draws for so long.

who knows if Sevco will still be in existence? Will anyone offer McInnes or Lennon a bigger job?

Allegedly there was a fall out with Levein if Hearts supporters are to be believed so dont see Ross going there with Levein being director of football clearly Ross is his own man. However of course Jack will move on at some point but maybe not as quick as some might think given what our board and supporters think of him. I can see Ross getting a good deal if we go up at least I would like to think so. Give a couple of more seasons and I'm sure Jack will get a job in the land of milk and honey down south. 

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Allegedly there was a fall out with Levein if Hearts supporters are to be believed so dont see Ross going there with Levein being director of football clearly Ross is his own man. However of course Jack will move on at some point but maybe not as quick as some might think given what our board and supporters think of him. I can see Ross getting a good deal if we go up at least I would like to think so. Give a couple of more seasons and I'm sure Jack will get a job in the land of milk and honey down south. 

That would be preferable, but as always money (wages, budget, size of club) talks. Can see why he wouldnt have been enamoured by Dundee, but a club like Hertz getting 15-17000 in would be hard to turn down. The talk of Stoke City keeping their managerial,options open till the summer is a long-shot, but interesting.

6 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

That would be preferable, but as always money (wages, budget, size of club) talks. Can see why he wouldnt have been enamoured by Dundee, but a club like Hertz getting 15-17000 in would be hard to turn down. The talk of Stoke City keeping their managerial,options open till the summer is a long-shot, but interesting.

I can see Hearts one day, maybe even Sevco (hate to say it) but Jack wants us up, when we get there, I am sure the BOD and the fact that Jack is an ex player he will stick with us for a few seasons yet

Also if we don't go up. he will def stay

5 hours ago, shull said:

An East Stirlingshire Manager ended up in charge of Marophy beforeanter United. 

Wouldn't surprise me if Ross ended up at Stoke tomorrow. 

What a stupid comparison Fergie got a team promoted then won leagues cups and a EuropEan trophy before he got the top job. 

Edited by Danny