St Mirren v Dundee United Championship 15/10/16

shull

24 minutes ago, scrappy coco said:

I thought Mallan was having his best game of the season until he got injured late in the first half, everyone could 

see he was struggling at the start of the 2nd half and had to be replaced...

Mallan was very unfortunate yesterday.

Done in by two excellent pieces of play: the first closing down a Dixon clearance where he took a heavy knock. Battled on obviously in pain, came out for the second half but was then hacked down by Flood after a neat little pull-back which would have started a counter-attack. No booking for Flood and game over a few minutes later for Stevie.

See this is kind of my point. The only statistic that matters is the score was St Mirren 0 Dundee United 2. Leicester City won one of the richest leagues in the world last season with the poorest percentage possession stat. Having loads of the ball means f**k all, it's what you do with it when you get it. 

Dundee United scored twice - both goals were down to poor defensive mistakes. Jack Baird dived in and missed for the first one, in the second McKenzie made an absolute f**k up and when Langfield had a chance to fix it he was slow to come off his line and his clearance was a tackle rather than a hoof clear. 

I do agree with you that I think things will improve at St Mirren and that the club has players that should be too good to go down, but if they don't start working as a team, showing desire to win, and if there isn't enough work being put in at training to set pieces and in to off the ball movement, then St Mirren could be in real trouble of the drop. 

I would agree. Big mistake by Mckenzie but not irretrievable had langfield moved even a bit quicker to get out . Similar to other moment in 2nd half when DU player through ( looked offside) but langfield clearly should have been first to get down on ball but dilly dallied and their player put it under him before someone ( not sure who ) cleared the danger . He ( Langfield) was moving in slow motion .

That was the best I have seen us all season. The players actually looked like they knew what they were meant to do for a change. Irvine was MOTM by a miles and I feel he is the 1 player who had played decent all season. I thought a draw would have been fair since Utd were no better or worst than us. With no booing at the end that I heard of, I assume most saints fans thought we were unlucky not to get a point out of the game. Sadly Hutton still looked a poor player and we really need a new full back since Naismith sadly is getting worse every time I see him [emoji20]

I felt Hutton, aside from two abysmal passes, had a much better game than usual.

Most importantly Jack now has time to work with players, the mindset has been far better last 3 matches...... As poor as our start is we have Pars and Sons just above us so its imperative that we win both those games.

Next game is another chance to improve...............overall I was pretty pleased with the application on Sat and being honest we were a bit mugged

Dissapointing not to get anything from the game, thought we played much better. Everyone was shutting down quickly and pressing which caused Dundee U to give the ball away alot, under Rae we would sit off teams and let them dictate the play. Created plenty of opportunities but unfortunately most shots were right at the keeper and had a couple cleared off the line. Hutton looked much better..put some good tackles in and broke up play but his passing is still dreadful.

On 10/15/2016 at 5:55 PM, TopCat said:

Really? What chances?

I thought we had one clear cut chance all game. Clarkson's late on when he dragged it wide when were already 2 down.

Apart from that we had a good few tame efforts from outside the box and Hardie had a half chance from Suttons knock down first half... ?

Shankland shot tipped round the post by Utd keeper, Shankland effort cleared off the line, scuffed shot by Clarkson from inside the area easily saved by the keeper, Clarkson shot wide from inside the area, Walsh effort cleared off the line, Morgan shot straight at the keeper from inside the area after beating his man on the right.

Plenty of chances, numerous efforts from inside the area.

On 10/16/2016 at 9:22 AM, Lord Pityme said:

given what I have seen over the last couple of games I would go with:
Langfield
Naismith. McKenzie. Baird, Irvine
Hutton. Quin. Shankland (midfield)
Clarkson & Sutton up front.
Mallan needs to be worked on. Shankland has the muscle and nouce, Hardie is a luxury

Playing with ten men will do us no favours at all I'm afraid...

On 10/15/2016 at 8:18 PM, Lord Pityme said:

I hope Ross isnt peddling this "we were unlucky" line in the dressing room and training ground.

the team at the bottom of the league is not there because they were unlucky in every game. Its time to face facts, and admit we are poor, where we are poor, how we can improve, and who will make us improve.

stop the apologist line, get real and make hard choices. We have a clutch of loanees whom it seems we are obliged to play?

they are not St Mirren players, and if all or some of them dont show they want to fight for that chance then return them and invest the time, enegy and money in players that do.

We have three loanees, one of whom started on Saturday. The two who came off the bench both had efforts cleared off the line, with Shankland having another good effort from the edge of the box tipped round the post by the keeper.

I'd say they give as much as those who are permanent members of our staff.

A more positive performance, and an upbeat attitude from most after it. I thought there was little between the teams, and United will be up there with Hibs and Falkirk at the end of the season. It was encouraging to see more pressing, and thought that the team all looked to be more on the front foot and looking to make things happen. 

Jack Ross seems a positive manager, and obviously feels that he'll get more out of the players by focussing on the positives, and what they are doing well. He'll no doubt be letting them know behind the scenes what individual players can improve on, and what he wants them to do.

I don't really understand some folk's negativity after that performance.    

I felt Hutton, aside from two abysmal passes, had a much better game than usual.

He certainly was better than usual but that wouldn't be hard to do. Your properly right that his 2 bad passes stuck in my mind when thinking back on the game.

37 minutes ago, Edinbuddie said:

A more positive performance, and an upbeat attitude from most after it. I thought there was little between the teams, and United will be up there with Hibs and Falkirk at the end of the season. It was encouraging to see more pressing, and thought that the team all looked to be more on the front foot and looking to make things happen. 

Jack Ross seems a positive manager, and obviously feels that he'll get more out of the players by focussing on the positives, and what they are doing well. He'll no doubt be letting them know behind the scenes what individual players can improve on, and what he wants them to do.

I don't really understand some folk's negativity after that performance.    

I think being adrift of the bottom of the second division and the lowest points total for 49 years might have something to some being less than positive. At end of day, its another defeat, another blank, another car crash at the back..... but yes it was better than the total farce we have been witnessing for the last 2 years.

I like Jack Ross, he makes me feel good and that will rub off. I don't ever expect promotion or top 4 after our start but I do expect us to be higher than Pars, Ayr and Sons. So if that's 7th then good.

Ton are having a good year, Duffy in spotlight , and its shows what confidence , belief with a semi final to look forward to can do.......

Funny thing is, the one thing Saints have shown 11 out the last 12 seasons is how to avoid going down. I am hoping to see a bit of steel adding to a better pressing game.

Fact that Ross has 2 weeks now with players is crucial

I am so thrilled that everybody is delighted with our increased pressing.

Who gives a f**k about losing 2-0 to a pish United Team?

Possession Stats and Pressing is all that matters to our fans now. 

:lol:

Saw the game on tv and whilst some of the play was a minor improvement on recent displays, it was yet another defeat. We now have 4 pts from 27 with no wins and only Edinburgh City have less point than us in the whole country. Despite this, and the prospect of a season where avoidance of relegation seems a best case scenario, the club is still charging £20 a time to watch this drivel.

There may have been a slight increase in Saturdays attendance  - mainly due to new manager bounce and a decent travelling support - but watch crowds dwindle further if a combination of over pricing and never winning persists.

9 hours ago, Soctty said:

We have three loanees, one of whom started on Saturday. The two who came off the bench both had efforts cleared off the line, with Shankland having another good effort from the edge of the box tipped round the post by the keeper.

I'd say they give as much as those who are permanent members of our staff.

Walsh and Hardie and currently joint top scorers in the league along with Sutton.

On 10/17/2016 at 2:54 PM, Froggie said:

Saw the game on tv and whilst some of the play was a minor improvement on recent displays, it was yet another defeat. We now have 4 pts from 27 with no wins and only Edinburgh City have less point than us in the whole country. Despite this, and the prospect of a season where avoidance of relegation seems a best case scenario, the club is still charging £20 a time to watch this drivel.

There may have been a slight increase in Saturdays attendance  - mainly due to new manager bounce and a decent travelling support - but watch crowds dwindle further if a combination of over pricing and never winning persists.

We've played only one game under the new manager. There is no point going over how bad we have been previously - that's why we have a new manager.

If the club charged less than £20 it would lose money, which seems a bit stupid to me. Putting prices down won't increase the attendance - winning games and playing well will, which is what we will be aiming to do.

Saturday's crowd would have got a bigger bounce had it not coincided with the start of the school holidays, as half the people I normally sit with were on holiday, and I'm sure a good few more were too, as seems to be the way these days for the October week.

I don't want prices down just to increase attendance. 

I want prices slashed to well under a Tenner, to give Fans value for money.

They are disgracefully getting ripped off presently.

EMOTIONAL EXTORTION

And all Clubs don't give a f**k about their supporters. 

Outrageous 

6 minutes ago, shull said:

I don't want prices down just to increase attendance. 

I want prices slashed to well under a Tenner, to give Fans value for money.

They are disgracefully getting ripped off presently.

EMOTIONAL EXTORTION

And all Clubs don't give a f**k about their supporters. 

Outrageous 

FFS gie it a rest...................:snore:snore:snore

38 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

FFS gie it a rest...................:snore:snore:snore

Clubs ain't listening. 

They continue the farce of disgracefully ripping off football fans. 

Actually, the standard of football on offer should actually mean free entry for all. 

All players in this Country should be Part Time. 

1 hour ago, Soctty said:

I've enjoyed this forum far more since I stuck the old git on my ignore list. 

Bliss. B)

Another 10 year old 

Boo hoo :lol:

Can you not just see the bad name and bypass the post? :1eye