Jack Ross will come good

I fear that barring a minor miracle we are almost down already, despite having 66 points left to play for. Dunfermline and Dumbarton are almost averaging 1 point per game. Let's say we need 36 points to finish the season in the safety of 8th place. We would be required to take 32 points from our remaining 22 games. To put that in some perspective, Hibs and Dundee United currently have 31 points after 15 games and 3rd place Falkirk are on 25 points after 15 games. Basically we need to hit Falkirk's average to have a chance of 8th (assuming Dunfermline and Dumbarton continue to average just under 1 point per game).

We've taken 30 points out of 18 and still have 4 games to hit your target. Personally, I'd like to see us round out the season unbeaten but I'd be happy to get horsed at Easter Road after securing 8th with a victory over Raith![emoji1]

15 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

My biggest worry is that Dundee, Hearts or someone punt their gaffer and take JR away from us. 

He fell out with Levein at hearts so won't be them. He is a dundee fan and Hartley is on a shoogly peg just now which is a worry.

Get him on a new deal ASAP,  this guy is something special. 

5 hours ago, DLBud said:

We've taken 30 points out of 18 and still have 4 games to hit your target. Personally, I'd like to see us round out the season unbeaten but I'd be happy to get horsed at Easter Road after securing 8th with a victory over Raith!emoji1.png

After security, would love to spoil Lennon's party. 

Jack has also seen just how much Saints mean to Paisley and the fans.....

We have taken between 800-1800 fans to away matches in the last few months, because he know he has fan backing (exception of Froggie and TC Lol)

He has said all along that he needs to get us safe, and somehow he looks to have managed it, he has also said that he wants to get us to where we belong. Remember Tony wants us SPFL champs, so Jack has to accomplish that at the very very least before he can go to Dundee who will be bust in a couple of years or Hearts, whose bubble seems to have bursted  ...............

He may leave to replace Jose once the treble is completed.................

(Pass the Aspirin)

Jack Ross won't be going anywhere in a hurry. He knows that the board have stood by him this season and given him a good opportunity to manage a decent sized club in Scottish terms. There is plenty to build on at St Mirren and increase his profile and reputation.

He could leave for Dundee and be sacked by Christmas if the players he is left with aren't up to much.

I think Jack has a genuine affinity for our club and I think he will really fancy a full season at trying to get us into the top 4 for next season.

6 hours ago, DLBud said:

We've taken 30 points out of 18 and still have 4 games to hit your target. Personally, I'd like to see us round out the season unbeaten but I'd be happy to get horsed at Easter Road after securing 8th with a victory over Raith!emoji1.png

Thanks for quoting my post from the start of last December. I couldn't remember where or when I had said that and I'm still happy to stand by virtually all of that post (apart from the bit starting we are basically down now!). 36 points to finish 8th will not be too far out, but may not yet be enough to secure that position given Ayr need 5 points from 4 games to reach that total, Raith need 3 points from 4 games and Dumbarton only need 1 more point from their remaining games to hit 36 points. 

Despite what oaky suggested I could not be happier that the minor miracle I alluded to has almost come to pass with 4 games remaining and I have been to most of our games supporting the team and the manager and have usually been one of the first posters congratulating the manager on the appreciation thread when we have picked up a result and whereas some posters are still saying we should decide on the manager's future at the end of the season I posted around 1 month ago that I was satisfied that there had been a big enough improvement in results, and performances and enough of the January signings had made an impact to suggest Jack Ross should be in charge next season even if we did go down.

The post DLBud quoted highlights the remarkable achievement by the management and players over the last few months - it has taken league-winning-form to get us off 10th place and into our current position with 4 games left that our safety is now in our hands despite how tight things remain between the bottom 4 sides.

Thanks for quoting my post from the start of last December. I couldn't remember where or when I had said that and I'm still happy to stand by virtually all of that post (apart from the bit starting we are basically down now!). 36 points to finish 8th will not be too far out, but may not yet be enough to secure that position given Ayr need 5 points from 4 games to reach that total, Raith need 3 points from 4 games and Dumbarton only need 1 more point from their remaining games to hit 36 points. 
Despite what oaky suggested I could not be happier that the minor miracle I alluded to has almost come to pass with 4 games remaining and I have been to most of our games supporting the team and the manager and have usually been one of the first posters congratulating the manager on the appreciation thread when we have picked up a result and whereas some posters are still saying we should decide on the manager's future at the end of the season I posted around 1 month ago that I was satisfied that there had been a big enough improvement in results, and performances and enough of the January signings had made an impact to suggest Jack Ross should be in charge next season even if we did go down.
The post DLBud quoted highlights the remarkable achievement by the management and players over the last few months - it has taken league-winning-form to get us off 10th place and into our current position with 4 games left that our safety is now in our hands despite how tight things remain between the bottom 4 sides.

Wasn't singling you out mate. I remembered how specific the quote was at the time and thought about it last night. You actually called it pretty much bang on in terms of what was required and the fact that we've (almost) delivered that was worth going back to.

FWIW, I think 39 will be the magic number to avoid the playoff so there's still work to be done but what a ride it's been recently.

1 minute ago, DLBud said:

Wasn't singling you out mate. I remembered how specific the quote was at the time and thought about it last night. You actually called it pretty much bang on in terms of what was required and the fact that we've (almost) delivered that was worth going back to.

FWIW, I think 39 will be the magic number to avoid the playoff so there's still work to be done but what a ride it's been recently.

Yeah I genuinely don't mind that quote being brought up. I did think it was looking extremely unlikely we could go from being the team with the worst form in the league to the team with the best form in the league and worried that even then we may have left ourselves too much ground to make up - 4 points in total by the start of December must be close to a Championship record! I also worried that our inability (until the last month or so) to win the 6 pointer / head to head games with our nearest rivals might cost us dearly.

Despite 4 tough games being left to play I fancy our chances or reaching 39 or 40 points - a total that seemed unthinkable not just in December but also in much of January and some of February too!

31 minutes ago, DLBud said:

39 points is the amount I also stated a few months ago as being the likely requirement to avoid the playoff. Looking like it may be less, but I can see both Ayr and Raith pulling another result or two out of the bag...we need to keep going.

33 minutes ago, Soctty said:

39 points is the amount I also stated a few months ago as being the likely requirement to avoid the playoff. Looking like it may be less, but I can see both Ayr and Raith pulling another result or two out of the bag...we need to keep going.

Definitely.

• 3 weeks later...

Well i think that's us safe. Dundee Utd are currently beating Dumbarton. If that stays the same then Dumbarton will play Falkirk next week and they are still in the hunt for 2nd place meaning they will be well up for it. We could lose next week and still finish 8th because of our superior goal difference. I think we'll pump Hibs anyway.

1 hour ago, dr rotund said:

Well i think that's us safe. Dundee Utd are currently beating Dumbarton. If that stays the same then Dumbarton will play Falkirk next week and they are still in the hunt for 2nd place meaning they will be well up for it. We could lose next week and still finish 8th because of our superior goal difference. I think we'll pump Hibs anyway.

Well that went well

Ayr might do us a favour

McCall will have his (albeit limited) players going for the win, if they go down on goal difference against a full time team he could argue he deserves another go. If they meekly roll over next week he could get his jotters.

I'm amazed at how much Raith bottled it today. I don't think their team has any backbone at all.

Score draw

Hands up. I was wrong. I reckoned Jack was the wrong appointment and could only see us dropping further into the mire. Looking at a turnaround of 19 points down to 2 points up is nothing short of a Lazarus revival. AND. I think the players are now playing football with a smile on their faces akin to the halcyon days of Mr Ferguson. Those who said we had a gem of a manager were absolutely correct. I bow to their better judgement. Still to finish the task but, quite honestly, the humble pie tastes might feckin' sweet! :D

Hands up. I was wrong. I reckoned Jack was the wrong appointment and could only see us dropping further into the mire. Looking at a turnaround of 19 points down to 2 points up is nothing short of a Lazarus revival. AND. I think the players are now playing football with a smile on their faces akin to the halcyon days of Mr Ferguson. Those who said we had a gem of a manager were absolutely correct. I bow to their better judgement. Still to finish the task but, quite honestly, the humble pie tastes might feckin' sweet! [emoji3]

Know what?

I told you so pie is far to bitter for anyone... Pass that pie around mate, we are all Buddies!

• 2 weeks later...

In response to the thread title I hereby ask

When will Jack Ross come good?

Up until now Jack Ross has done very little as manager of my team.  All he can claim is coming in part way through a season thus taking over a club floundering hopelessly at the bottom of the league, shipping out ten players, bringing in eleven players, gelling a new team together in jig time, turning around the ailing fortunes of our team, encouraging a togetherness in the team that in turn seems to have sparked some sort of drum beat led rhythmic love affair with the support, seen his team climb out of relegation mire against all odds, won two championship manager of the month awards and begun the task of rebuilding our team for an apparent title push next season with early signs being that season ticket sales are on the rise.

So I ask again, when Jack, when?

39 minutes ago, TediousTom said:

In response to the thread title I hereby ask

When will Jack Ross come good?

Up until now Jack Ross has done very little as manager of my team.  All he can claim is coming in part way through a season thus taking over a club floundering hopelessly at the bottom of the league, shipping out ten players, bringing in eleven players, gelling a new team together in jig time, turning around the ailing fortunes of our team, encouraging a togetherness in the team that in turn seems to have sparked some sort of drum beat led rhythmic love affair with the support, seen his team climb out of relegation mire against all odds, won two championship manager of the month awards and begun the task of rebuilding our team for an apparent title push next season with early signs being that season ticket sales are on the rise.

So I ask again, when Jack, when?

But apart from that ? :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

I can't believe that the Jack Ross must go thread has been red hot because of the poor start in what is effectively pre season. I know that we're out the league cup and that other teams have started well BUT! Some people, it seems, have forgotten our finish to last season and what Jack's teams are all about which I'm sure we'll see in the coming weeks. Have faith in Jack, as the thread of the title says - he will come good.

12 minutes ago, dr rotund said:

I can't believe that the Jack Ross must go thread has been red hot because of the poor start in what is effectively pre season. I know that we're out the league cup and that other teams have started well BUT! Some people, it seems, have forgotten our finish to last season and what Jack's teams are all about which I'm sure we'll see in the coming weeks. Have faith in Jack, as the thread of the title says - he will come good.

Most of the posts on the "must go" thread have been supportive against a few.

I don't agree the league Cup is "effectively pre season" as it's a major trophy which has provided the best day in our history in recent years.

Again, not many have forgotten our finish t last season but that was with a different team and after a 5-0 thumping some are concerned with the current strength of our squad.

The vast majority still have faith in the manager and have faith we can get close to the form of the last few months of last season.