The Jack Ross Interviews Thread

shull

St Mirren gaffer Jack Ross says snubbing Dundee to stay in Paisley was a gamble he hopes pays off

The Buddies gaffer turned down the advances of the Dark Blues earlier this month despite being handed the chance to manage in the Premiership.

• 06:00, 28 JUN 2017
St Mirren manager Jack Ross at full-timeSt Mirren manager Jack Ross turned down Dundee (Photo: SNS)

Jack Ross admits his decision to snub Dundee to remain boss at St Mirren is a gamble he hopes he won’t live to regret.

The Buddies gaffer turned down the advances of the Dark Blues earlier this month despite being handed the chance to manage in the Premiership.

After committing himself to another season in the Championship with the Paisley club, the 41-year-old is well aware of football’s ability to transform the next big thing into yesterday’s man.

JS108594806.jpg
St Mirren manager Jack Ross with Stevie Mallan

He said: “Dundee was a big thing to consider and I knew that, potentially, I was taking a gamble because things can change really quickly in football – we could have a really bad start to next season and my stock would fall again.

“But you also need to have faith in yourself and what you do and that that opportunity will come again and I hope that doesn’t come across as me being arrogant but that’s how I reached my decision in the end.

JS113641587.jpg
St Mirren manager Jack Ross arrives at Celtic Park (Photo: SNS Group)

“That [Dundee’s interest] was something I hadn’t envisaged happening because I was quite settled where I was.

“Maybe I should take it as a compliment but I haven’t thought too much about it. Probably the best way to sum it up was that I left the country 100 per cent content to be with St Mirren and I returned home feeling the same way.”

The Ross family holiday in Spain was disrupted by the frenzied speculation over the Dens Park vacancy but the Buddies boss insists it was for the best that he was sunning himself on the beach as the drama over his future played out.

He said: “It probably helped me that I was out of the country. That wasn’t a bad thing because I’d managed to get so much business done before we left, I’d planned to have a complete break from football.

JS108605501.jpg
Ross has unfinished business at Saints (Photo: SNS Group)

“As it turned out, I had three quiet days but I suppose that’s part of the job and I’m not looking for sympathy. There’s always something that needs a response and, the way communications are these days, you’re always available.

“It’s hard for anyone to switch off from their work due to mobile phones and emails but I still managed to get some sunshine.”

There was no attempt to disguise the fact the Dundee post didn’t tempt Ross to Tayside but he’s adamant remaining in situ became the best case scenario.

Ross Stewart signs for St Mirren
Ross Stewart signs for St Mirren

He said: “It’s human nature. Because of the emotions involved in football, particularly where fans are concerned, it’s too easy to think that everything is black and white but we’re human beings and there are all these external things to be taken into consideration.

“But, deep down, the biggest thing for me is that I really enjoy working for St Mirren. The facilities are great and that’s important for managers, I walk into our training ground each morning and enjoy being there.

“We’ve done a lot of work to it in the last six to seven months and that also gave me something to think about, as well as the personal aspects of the equation which had to be considered as well.”

The sense of unfinished business at St Mirren after guiding them away from serious relegation issues last season is what is now driving Ross to help his club fulfil its potential.

He said: “Ultimately, I felt comfortable about continuing doing the same job. I said, when I took the job in October, that I felt I could take Saints into the Premiership and everyone laughed, given that we were bottom of the table.

JS79092187.jpg
Jack Ross

“We stayed up but I don’t feel that I’ve done a good job there yet and I won’t feel that way until I can get them into the top division.

“I know the club is capable of that because I played for them there. Our fanbase has also shown, towards the end of last season, that we belong there but there’s a lot of work still to do.”

Now that Ross has tied his black and white flag to the mast, he believes the Buddies fans are now united behind the start of a campaign which he’s determined to bring improved fortunes.

He said: “I went into the crowd last season and put my neck on the line but the supporters rallied round the adversity we were in.

“I think they had bottomed out so much that they realised it was either walk away from the club or back it and the response from them was terrific at games, the numbers they travelled in and the communication I’ve had with fans since them, in and around the town, has been terrific.

“Speaking to people in Paisley they feel there is a sense of optimism that’s not been there for a long time.

“We as a club have a duty to try to buy into that, foster it and grow it again and ultimately what I can help produce on the pitch will determine whether that keeps moving forward.

“But I do feel it’s was a tipping point and hopefully that was the bottoming out period for the club and now it starts to go on an upwards trajectory that it’s capable of.”

I reckon Ross was tempted by Dundee in much the same way McInnes was tempted by Sunderland. Thought about it for a wee minute, realised they were something of a basket case, and decided 'naw, you're alright'. Thanks anyway. Back to the beach...

Edited by pozbaird

Great Interview- As always incredibly honest

Jacks Legacy is the rebirth of the Saints, that's was going downhill fast after the League Cup success, playing survival every season was pushing fans away...

Fact that he believes in himself, on all those initial interviews where he was explaining losses and his belief. Then doing the 10 in 10 out, clearing away the players he didn't feel had what he wanted. Bringing a  CAPTAIN... we haven't had one as good since Fitzy, bringing in quality like Mackenzie- who sorted our immense problems with CH, developing Mallan and Morgan.....

If Jack takes us to top 4, then the journey continues, and he has taken a massive gamble as he believes in his ability as do many other supporters...

Jack's latest interview confirms that he was indeed spoken to by Nelms about the Dundee job. Although that was widely speculated at the time, I have not seen it confirmed anywhere. Indeed when Neil McCann was appointed, Nelms went out of his way to suggest that Neil had always been Dundee's first choice. Jack's interview seems to give the lie to that.

Good to know that Jack preferred to stay with Buddies, but one wonders why he would even give it a moment's thought, given the situation that Dundee find themselves in right now.

Anyway, he made the right decision as far as I'm concerned. Onward and upward with Buddies now!

COYS!

4 minutes ago, pondsman said:

Jack's latest interview confirms that he was indeed spoken to by Nelms about the Dundee job. Although that was widely speculated at the time, I have not seen it confirmed anywhere. Indeed when Neil McCann was appointed, Nelms went out of his way to suggest that Neil had always been Dundee's first choice. Jack's interview seems to give the lie to that.

Good to know that Jack preferred to stay with Buddies, but one wonders why he would even give it a moment's thought, given the situation that Dundee find themselves in right now.

Anyway, he made the right decision as far as I'm concerned. Onward and upward with Buddies now!

COYS!

Suppose a considerable wage increase, having previous links with Dundee, they are in the top league and we aren't could all have made him consider the offer?

36 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Suppose a considerable wage increase, having previous links with Dundee, they are in the top league and we aren't could all have made him consider the offer?

Plus Dundee was his boyhood heroes that in it's self would have made Jack listen and give the Dundee job some thought. So glad he is staying at Saints. 

1 hour ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Plus Dundee was his boyhood heroes that in it's self would have made Jack listen and give the Dundee job some thought. So glad he is staying at Saints. 

Listen to what?  Dundee say they made no approach.:whistle

On 6/28/2017 at 10:53 AM, DougJamie said:

Great Interview- As always incredibly honest

Jacks Legacy is the rebirth of the Saints, that's was going downhill fast after the League Cup success, playing survival every season was pushing fans away...

Fact that he believes in himself, on all those initial interviews where he was explaining losses and his belief. Then doing the 10 in 10 out, clearing away the players he didn't feel had what he wanted. Bringing a  CAPTAIN... we haven't had one as good since Fitzy, bringing in quality like Mackenzie- who sorted our immense problems with CH, developing Mallan and Morgan.....

If Jack takes us to top 4, then the journey continues, and he has taken a massive gamble as he believes in his ability as do many other supporters...

Alex Rae signed McKenzie

10 minutes ago, David Mc said:

Providing he was not bluffing. A few days ago he was talking about bringing another two in one of presumably was Loy who would be a good salary.

Seems a bit strange, surely Loy's wage must still be available at least?

When he says "we're trying to adjust that" I take it to mean he's going to try and get rid of a couple , or at least get some out on loan , to create a few spaces. I know he would happy to part with Sutton and Quinn , two high earners ,  if someone would take them off our hands .

Edited by billyg

5 hours ago, billyg said:

When he says "we're trying to adjust that" I take it to mean he's going to try and get rid of a couple , or at least get some out on loan , to create a few spaces. I know he would happy to part with Sutton and Quinn , two high earners ,  if someone would take them off our hands .

Not sure we can offload Sutts unless he has someone who doesn't live with Snow White lined up to replace him. Looking more than a bit 'short' up front.

Rocco Quinn is definitely one he's trying to move on.