Gordon Scott

On 1 January 2017 at 9:03 PM, Loyal Supporter said:

Work it out yourself . If you can't even work out that he got it completely wrong WITH TGE TIMING OF SACKING RAE not to mention the cost involved . Seems to me that you have completely no clue about what's involved . 

Scott did get the timing wrong with the sacking of Rae, he should have been binned the day he got the keys to the club.:D

Scott did get the timing wrong with the sacking of Rae, he should have been binned the day he got the keys to the club.[emoji3]

Alex Rae gets a lot of flak on here and a lot of it is very unfair. If you think back to this time last season we had just finished the campaign pretty strongly, he took us from the bottom of the league to a 6th placed finish.

Didn't really happen for him this season but at the end of the day he was only in charge for 6 league games.

Jack brings a lot more to the club in terms of style of play, charisma etc.. and I wouldn't swap him for the world but Rae wasn't as bad as is made out. IMHO!

8 minutes ago, div said:

Alex Rae gets a lot of flak on here and a lot of it is very unfair. If you think back to this time last season we had just finished the campaign pretty strongly, he took us from the bottom of the league to a 6th placed finish.

Didn't really happen for him this season but at the end of the day he was only in charge for 6 league games.

Jack brings a lot more to the club in terms of style of play, charisma etc.. and I wouldn't swap him for the world but Rae wasn't as bad as is made out. IMHO!

You do realise there were reasons, many with nothing to do with St Mirren, for lots of this "flak" don't you?

9 minutes ago, div said:

That's fair enough , but his brand of football was enough to make your eyes bleed for the most part .

14 minutes ago, div said:

Totally disagree Div. Rae was dreadful for us. The football was awful as was his judgement in PR - way too much time commenting on Rangers when he should have been immersed in St Mirren. Part of a succession of managers whose actions and coaching ability distanced the club from its fan base.

Totally disagree Div. Rae was dreadful for us. The football was awful as was his judgement in PR - way too much time commenting on Rangers when he should have been immersed in St Mirren. Part of a succession of managers whose actions and coaching ability distanced the club from its fan base.

Not going to waste time discussing Alex Rae, we've moved on and we've got a universally (apart from TC) adored manager, no point in going over old ground.

As I say, I've no interest in getting into a prolonged debate about this as we've moved on and finally I think we have a manager that pretty much everyone likes.

I'd prefer to focus on that as a positive rather than debating the last manager. Would be interesting to read the forum from this time last year though, I doubt many were complaining at the style of football when we trounced Morton 3-1 :P

5 minutes ago, Sonny said:

We have moved on thankfully but I reckon he deserves all the criticism he got. Terrible squad, terrible football, bad attitude to our U20 squad and treated us like a part-time job. Good riddance.

He saved Saints from relegation in his first season...  Talking, I thought, very sensibly and simply about how brutally straightforwardly he would do that - and he was true to his word.

i didn't agree with his assessment of the tippy-tappy teaching the youth teams received, I didn't think he GOT how Buddies like to see the team play, but...

...in his way, he did guide Saints to 6th place from a shite situation.

6 minutes ago, antrin said:

He saved Saints from relegation in his first season...  Talking, I thought, very sensibly and simply about how brutally straightforwardly he would do that - and he was true to his word.

i didn't agree with his assessment of the tippy-tappy teaching the youth teams received, I didn't think he GOT how Buddies like to see the team play, but...

...in his way, he did guide Saints to 6th place from a shite situation.

Yeah that is fair mate. He never immersed himself in the club the way Jack has. Reminded me of Gus that way, it was just a job to him.

Jack has played it differently and its' pleasing that we stayed up on goal difference as that was just reward for the way we attacked teams in the last 10 or so games of the season when the pressure was really on. We ripped some teams apart and it really was brilliant to watch.

Let's enjoy Jacko whilst we have him!

I'm glad Gordon and the board are starting to take recognition for their work and efforts to better our club. A year on and despite finishing below our expectations in the league, the fans, players and board having a connection and passion that I have never seen in my time of supporting the club. I am sure there is plenty of work that Gordon and the board are doing that is disclosed just like any other business. There is now a belief in us all that we can go out strong in the season ahead.

I wonder what his next job in football management will be......if he ever gets one.

9 hours ago, div said:

Yeah that is fair mate. He never immersed himself in the club the way Jack has. Reminded me of Gus that way, it was just a job to him.

Jack has played it differently and its' pleasing that we stayed up on goal difference as that was just reward for the way we attacked teams in the last 10 or so games of the season when the pressure was really on. We ripped some teams apart and it really was brilliant to watch.

Let's enjoy Jacko whilst we have him!

I think in Gus we had a very old school manager who reflected the dour managers he played under but with Alex I always felt there was an ego and a general disdain at play. I would be interested to compare how Gus and Alex's ex players feel about them? You know enough people in the game Div, so how do guys like Vanzy etc feel compared to some of our lads who played under Alex?

Like you say though Jack is from a different generation and has a more holistic approach to football management and a level of inclusion we haven't seen at the club for a long time.

12 hours ago, faraway saint said:

You do realise there were reasons, many with nothing to do with St Mirren, for lots of this "flak" don't you?

Somewhat distracted and not giving 100% to the cause are you referring to.:whistle

I think in Gus we had a very old school manager who reflected the dour managers he played under but with Alex I always felt there was an ego and a general disdain at play. I would be interested to compare how Gus and Alex's ex players feel about them? You know enough people in the game Div, so how do guys like Vanzy etc feel compared to some of our lads who played under Alex?
Like you say though Jack is from a different generation and has a more holistic approach to football management and a level of inclusion we haven't seen at the club for a long time.

Only one I've spoken about the manager is Vanzy and he absolutely LOVED Gus MacPherson.

12 hours ago, Sonny said:

We have moved on thankfully but I reckon he deserves all the criticism he got. Terrible squad, terrible football, bad attitude to our U20 squad and treated us like a part-time job. Good riddance.

The terrible squad had 6 of Rae's first team players featuring most weeks in Jack Ross's staring XI's since February (after Jack shipped 10 out and brought in 11 new players - most of whom hardly kicked a ball for the club in 5 months here)

Alex Rae's duds:

1. Gary Irvine (contract extended by Jack Ross)

2. Gary MacKenzie (one of the contenders in POTY polls)

3. Jack Baird (signed a new deal offered by Jack Ross)

4. Stevie Mallan (expecting to be sold for decent money in the summer)

5. Lewis Morgan (expecting to be sold for decent money in the summer)

6. John Sutton (top scorer last season)

not forgetting that another Alex Rae dud moved to Ross County and another was sold to Derby County for around £500k, I wonder how much £ we will rake in in 2017 from Alex Rae's shambles of a squad being sold off to bigger better and richer clubs?

Jack Ross did really well in the January window, but I'd be quite happy if we didn't sign Billy O' Brien, Craig Storrie, Pal Fjelde, or Josh Todd again.

2 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

The terrible squad had 6 of Rae's first team players featuring most weeks in Jack Ross's staring XI's since February (after Jack shipped 10 out and brought in 11 new players - most of whom hardly kicked a ball for the club in 5 months here)

Alex Rae's duds:

1. Gary Irvine (contract extended by Jack Ross)

2. Gary MacKenzie (one of the contenders in POTY polls)

3. Jack Baird (signed a new deal offered by Jack Ross)

4. Stevie Mallan (expecting to be sold for decent money in the summer)

5. Lewis Morgan (expecting to be sold for decent money in the summer)

6. John Sutton (top scorer last season)

not forgetting that another Alex Rae dud moved to Ross County and another was sold to Derby County for around £500k, I wonder how much £ we will rake in in 2017 from Alex Rae's shambles of a squad being sold off to bigger better and richer clubs?

Jack Ross did really well in the January window, but I'd be quite happy if we didn't sign Billy O' Brien, Craig Storrie, Pal Fjelde, or Josh Todd again.

Now you know they ain't gonna like da facts....