Gordon Scott

24 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Now you know they ain't gonna like da facts....

"They"

Pretty much sums you up, and what motivates you to come on here and persist with your tiresome, divisive slabberings.

Edited by Drew

24 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

The terrible squad had 6 of Rae's first team players featuring most weeks in Jack Ross's staring XI's since February (after Jack shipped 10 out and brought in 11 new players - most of whom hardly kicked a ball for the club in 5 months here)

Alex Rae's duds:

1. Gary Irvine (contract extended by Jack Ross)

2. Gary MacKenzie (one of the contenders in POTY polls)

3. Jack Baird (signed a new deal offered by Jack Ross)

4. Stevie Mallan (expecting to be sold for decent money in the summer)

5. Lewis Morgan (expecting to be sold for decent money in the summer)

6. John Sutton (top scorer last season)

not forgetting that another Alex Rae dud moved to Ross County and another was sold to Derby County for around £500k, I wonder how much £ we will rake in in 2017 from Alex Rae's shambles of a squad being sold off to bigger better and richer clubs?

Jack Ross did really well in the January window, but I'd be quite happy if we didn't sign Billy O' Brien, Craig Storrie, Pal Fjelde, or Josh Todd again.

My memory must be failing but I do not remember Rae signing Baird, Mallan, Morgan nor Naismith nor MacAllister. In fact he didn't!. Naismith was shit under Rae and only improved under Ross. McAllister never got a game this season under Rae and got his transfer when Ross realised he was better than the players Rae had brought in and gave him a chance and earning a transfer.

I do remember Rae signing Hutton, C Gallagher, Clarkson, S Gallagher, Gordon (then loaning him out immediately), Walsh, Webster, Shankland and Hardie though - all duds for us. McKenzie has been good and Irvine since Ross signed a left back and played him in his correct position  but Irvine was woeful at left back as Rae had decided we did not need a left sided player.

1 hour ago, div said:

Only one I've spoken about the manager is Vanzy and he absolutely LOVED Gus MacPherson.

Keano said similar about wee Anxious . I think the main difference between wee Anxious and Jack , is that Jack has endeared himself to the fan base and gave us a great spectacle to watch as well as saving us in the best possible way - by scoring a shed load of goals. .

1 hour ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

The terrible squad had 6 of Rae's first team players featuring most weeks in Jack Ross's staring XI's since February (after Jack shipped 10 out and brought in 11 new players - most of whom hardly kicked a ball for the club in 5 months here)

Alex Rae's duds:

not forgetting that another Alex Rae dud moved to Ross County and another was sold to Derby County for around £500k, I wonder how much £ we will rake in in 2017 from Alex Rae's shambles of a squad being sold off to bigger better and richer clubs?

Jack Ross did really well in the January window, but I'd be quite happy if we didn't sign Billy O' Brien, Craig Storrie, Pal Fjelde, or Josh Todd again.

Alex Rae's duds:

Who was really struggling in an unbalanced squad and playing out of position. Until Jack allowed him to perform at his best, most fans would have gladly seen him go and not realised his true potential.

Who was really struggling playing beside Webster. Until Jack brought in Davis and restored his confidence, most fans would have gladly seen him go and not realised his true potential.

Who was a nervous wreck playing beside Webster and being criticised by fans week in week out. Jack has obviously worked with him starting from keep it simple and stick to the basics... and when Davis was injured he stepped up to the mark and did all that was asked of him. Nervous wreck under Rae.

Under Rae this lad had retreated so far into himself that he probably started to doubt his own ability. Fans calling him a dud hardly helped. Jack Ross found him a midfield partner that allowed him the chance to shine... encouraged him and built him up, and realised the full potential of one of the most exciting talents we have seen in recent years. Under Rae, he was a frightened kid!

Again, The new manager has encouraged and supported him to take his play up a level.

Mostly used as back up laterally by Jack.

Common denominator?

Under Rae, all bar Sutton were regarded as duds.

Under Ross, all have improved or shone except Sutton who was marginalised.

1 hour ago, Sonny said:

My memory must be failing but I do not remember Rae signing Baird, Mallan, Morgan nor Naismith nor MacAllister. In fact he didn't!. Naismith was shit under Rae and only improved under Ross. McAllister never got a game this season under Rae and got his transfer when Ross realised he was better than the players Rae had brought in and gave him a chance and earning a transfer.

I do remember Rae signing Hutton, C Gallagher, Clarkson, S Gallagher, Gordon (then loaning him out immediately), Walsh, Webster, Shankland and Hardie though - all duds for us. McKenzie has been good and Irvine since Ross signed a left back and played him in his correct position  but Irvine was woeful at left back as Rae had decided we did not need a left sided player.

Rae played Baird more often than Jack Ross did, and also played Mallan more often than Iain Murray did and gave Morgan his debut last season and McAllister his debut at the age of 16. He also gave Jordan Stewart a run in the team as well. As for Naismith being "shit under Rae" he was out injured for all of Rae's first season with us, and was coming back from long term injury and getting his match fitness back in Rae's time in charge this season (about 1 month). My point was actually about Rae's "shambles of a squad" being pretty decent with most fans hoping that most of his squad who are still at the club will be resigned rather than a point about his signings.

Irvine was one of Rae's signings last year who came in during January last year and helped save us from relegation and head towards midtable. Shankland was our top scoring striker last season despite not getting a lot of starts until Rae came in last December.

29 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Under Rae this lad had retreated so far into himself that he probably started to doubt his own ability. Fans calling him a dud hardly helped. Jack Ross found him a midfield partner that allowed him the chance to shine... encouraged him and built him up, and realised the full potential of one of the most exciting talents we have seen in recent years. Under Rae, he was a frightened kid!

Was he not a winner and runner up in most of our POTY and YPOTY awards last season (under Rae) as well as top scorer for the 2nd season in a row?

Again, The new manager has encouraged and supported him to take his play up a level.

Did I just imagine Morgan being man of the match and almost single-handedly ripping Ayr to shreds in the group stage of the League Cup (under Rae) or him missing a few league games through injury at the start of the season (under Rae) and needing some time to get back to full fitness when he came back into the team?

Common denominator?

Under Rae, all bar Sutton were regarded as duds.

Under Ross, all have improved or shone except Sutton who was marginalised.

16 hours ago, faraway saint said:

You do realise there were reasons, many with nothing to do with St Mirren, for lots of this "flak" don't you?

16 hours ago, magnus said:

Totally disagree Div. Rae was dreadful for us. The football was awful as was his judgement in PR - way too much time commenting on Rangers when he should have been immersed in St Mirren. Part of a succession of managers whose actions and coaching ability distanced the club from its fan base.

And there it is right there.

8 hours ago, Sonny said:

Exactly . Was David Longwell not responsible for the signings of Baird , Mallan , Naismith, Morgan ,MacAllister ? 

As I say, I've no interest in getting into a prolonged debate about this as we've moved on and finally I think we have a manager that pretty much everyone likes.
I'd prefer to focus on that as a positive rather than debating the last manager. Would be interesting to read the forum from this time last year though, I doubt many were complaining at the style of football when we trounced Morton 3-1 [emoji14]

Does this mean we can stop dwelling on Gus now, the attractiveness of the cinema and his alleged inability to develop youth.

Did Dibbles and Lord Loony just claim we got 500k for McAllister?  And nobody pulled them up on it?

That post is showing some signs of serious delusion.  Please seek medical help & support.

The fact we have a good youth system that Rae didn't use properly does not make Rae a good manager.  Good god, the team was a complete disaster and all the youth players were shit scared to do anything with the ball.  A footballing dinosaur, please lets leave him in the past.  Preferably deep underground and fossilised. 

9 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Alex Rae's duds:

I agree completely but it just goes to show what a shite job Rae was doing with that squad and how much work Jack had to do to turn things around.

10 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

I'll give you Storie, Todd and Fjelde. That's not 'most', though, is it?

1 hour ago, Seaside Nipper said:

Does this mean we can stop dwelling on Gus now, the attractiveness of the cinema and his alleged inability to develop youth.

To be fair to Gus, and those who support him, he at least had a credible record to defend.  Rae on the other hand is not worth defending but small elements of the lunatic fringe continue to do so.

2 minutes ago, scottd said:

To be fair to Gus, and those who support him, he at least had a credible record to defend.  Rae on the other hand is not worth defending but small elements of the lunatic fringe continue to do so.

Yeah: Gus was and remains a club legend, but he had his time.

Alex Rae was a bizarre appointment that happened to work well in the very short term, but who didn't care about our club and who got found out last summer.

The two are not comparable by any stretch of the imagination.

11 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Alex Rae's duds:

You'd have to be a blood relative of Alex Rae not to concede that most of these players were ineffective under him. The main issue for me was Stevie Mallan, who suffered badly from Rae's insistence on playing two strikers, having amassed four of them. This left Mallan in a midfield with Kyle Hutton, who struggled desperately to shine. Mallan had always shone in a midfield with more players around him, with one main striker, and his confidence seemed to drain quickly with the verbal batterings he received from Rae game after game.

Mallan has improved greatly since the addition of McGinn and the introduction of Magennis alongside him.

McKenzie improved greatly with the introduction of Davis and being injury free for a prolonged period, and also with O'Brien behind him.

Morgan started the season on fire, but his effectiveness dissipated as Rae's hit and run football gave him less and less of the ball, and Rae's shackling of our full backs gave him little support on the wing.

Baird struggled playing alongside Andy Webster, an experienced player whose legs seem to have gone, and who is about as vocal as Charlie Chaplin, giving very little guidance to his younger teammate.

Sutton suffered under Rae, as the ex manager played a different strike partnership in all but one of his league games in charge, giving none of the strikers any continuity and leaving them little chance of gelling with those behind and beside them, Ross made him pretty much his main striker until he was able to bring in the more mobile Loy and Smith who were capable of dropping deeper and also giving defenders far more problems with their movement and tenacity.

All in all, we had a few good players, but when they are supplemented by a handful of duds and tactics which do nothing to make the most of their talents, it made perfect sense to bin Rae, and we can all see now what a terrific job Jack Ross did, albeit not as quickly as he would have liked.

The team and players improved under Ross, although it took the addition of the influential McGinn, Davis, O'Brien, Smith and Loy to turn us into a team of winners.

You'd have to be a blood relative of Alex Rae not to concede that most of these players were ineffective under him. The main issue for me was Stevie Mallan, who suffered badly from Rae's insistence on playing two strikers, having amassed four of them. This left Mallan in a midfield with Kyle Hutton, who struggled desperately to shine. Mallan had always shone in a midfield with more players around him, with one main striker, and his confidence seemed to drain quickly with the verbal batterings he received from Rae game after game.

Mallan has improved greatly since the addition of McGinn and the introduction of Magennis alongside him.

McKenzie improved greatly with the introduction of Davis and being injury free for a prolonged period, and also with O'Brien behind him.

Morgan started the season on fire, but his effectiveness dissipated as Rae's hit and run football gave him less and less of the ball, and Rae's shackling of our full backs gave him little support on the wing.

Baird struggled playing alongside Andy Webster, an experienced player whose legs seem to have gone, and who is about as vocal as Charlie Chaplin, giving very little guidance to his younger teammate.

Sutton suffered under Rae, as the ex manager played a different strike partnership in all but one of his league games in charge, giving none of the strikers any continuity and leaving them little chance of gelling with those behind and beside them, Ross made him pretty much his main striker until he was able to bring in the more mobile Loy and Smith who were capable of dropping deeper and also giving defenders far more problems with their movement and tenacity.

All in all, we had a few good players, but when they are supplemented by a handful of duds and tactics which do nothing to make the most of their talents, it made perfect sense to bin Rae, and we can all see now what a terrific job Jack Ross did, albeit not as quickly as he would have liked.

The team and players improved under Ross, although it took the addition of the influential McGinn, Davis, O'Brien, Smith and Loy to turn us into a team of winners.

@Soctty handing out the large servings of telt, there.

Edit: top of the page, ffs. Edit to include quote.

Edited by Magic Monkey

I am not going to mention Rae again. :)

He inherited some good players and made them worse. He ruined the confidence of most of these young guys (Baird, Mallan, Naismith, and Kelly in particular) and deserves no credit for their turnaround.or for the transfers which were all down to Ross. Naismith was a a bag of nerves under Rae but Jack allowed him to do what Rae wouldn't and that was attack down the wings, restoring his confidence and getting a transfer. Irvine was rubbish under Rae playing out of position but has blossomed under Ross in his correct position.

Out of the 10 that Jack brought in, 7 (O'Brien, Eck, Davis, McGinn, Smith, Loy, Stelios) have featured regularly and performed brilliantly well . I do not think we can say that about anyone playing in Rae's team. Out of Rae's players that Jack dumped only Shankland (and Hutton with Airdrie) are a first choice pick and with Shankland that is because Morton do not have any other strikers fit. (Check out the Morton threads to see what their fans think of Shankland). And look at the difference of the likes of MacKenzie's performances under Ross and his performances under Rae. Besides his signings Ross restored the confidence of the young guys we already had and promoted the likes of Magennis to the first team squad.

Time for me to move on. I was grateful we stayed up the previous season playing turgid football. I am (now) grateful for MacKenzie and Irvine. But Rae was a disaster for us and I for one am sure we would be relegated now if we had kept him on..

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

He inherited some good players and made them worse. He ruined the confidence of most of these young guys (Baird, Mallan, Naismith, and Kelly in particular) and deserves no credit for their turnaround.or for the transfers which were all down to Ross. Naismith was a a bag of nerves under Rae but Jack allowed him to do what Rae wouldn't and that was attack down the wings, restoring his confidence and getting a transfer. Irvine was rubbish under Rae playing out of position but has blossomed under Ross in his correct position.

Out of the 10 that Jack brought in, 7 (O'Brien, Eck, Davis, McGinn, Smith, Loy, Stelios) have featured regularly and performed brilliantly well . I do not think we can say that about anyone playing in Rae's team. Out of Rae's players that Jack dumped only Shankland (and Hutton with Airdrie) are a first choice pick and with Shankland that is because Morton do not have any other strikers fit. (Check out the Morton threads to see what their fans think of Shankland). And look at the difference of the likes of MacKenzie's performances under Ross and his performances under Rae. Besides his signings Ross restored the confidence of the young guys we already had and promoted the likes of Magennis to the first team squad.

Time for me to move on. I was grateful we stayed up the previous season playing turgid football. I am (now) grateful for MacKenzie and Irvine. But Rae was a disaster for us and I for one am sure we would be relegated now if we had kept him on..

I am not going to mention Rae again. :)

Sorted. :thumbs2

6 hours ago, Soctty said:

Some of his blood relative wouldn't argue against the players being ineffective under him:whistle