Director Elections

HSS

Yeah I'd agree. David Nicol may deserve a place on the board but for me he's tarnished by the fact that he's been nominated by the Chairman and endorsed by the CEO - neither of whom appear to have got the engine running at St Mirren yet. If an update is due from Gordon Scott today I'd love to hear about what progress has been made in forging links with local community football clubs, in terms of community work being done outside of the club in Paisley, and on what those big exciting things that Tony Fitzpatrick said were happening behind the scenes actually are. 

All I want for my representative is someone who is going to be dynamic, someone who will make things happen and who will shout from the rooftops about the progress being made to get the fans inspired and fired up. I'm afraid for me Kenny Morrison is not that man. His MyScotFC project was a disaster and he himself said he quit MyScotFC because "Newmains United were pish". He may not have been responsible for the mess Newmains United were in but he certainly contributed to it. 

MyScotFC was something that started with the backing, albeit verbal, of the man behind MYFC. That backing soon disappeared, observation not blame. When take up was low I continued anyway and we worked with Newmains and managed to fund them to the tune of around £1,000 at the time. The money went towards training equipment, the Cup trip to Penicuik the new website and whatever else the club deemed fit. I don't understand how I or the project contributed to "the mess", so can't really comment any more on that. At the time it was a nice project and the people involved at Newmains appreciated the assistance. That quote from me simplifies things to a high degree. I had a full discussion at the time with Gordon Bruce and basically handed the running to Mark after assisting Gordon with the business plan for the development of Victoria Park. Mark then used the experience to continue filming matches, which I'd also done and edited highlights or full footage on the Sunday for upload to youtube, ahead of ending the project after season two.

I am impressed with the quality of candidates and I'm not really left in any doubt that they all have the clubs best interests at heart and would be fully committed to the job so I don't think there is massive risk involved either way.

However, I think Dave Nicol has come across very well during the previous SMISA information meetings and I think it would harsh to hold the backing of Fitzy and Gordon against him. He's been an integral part of the initial stages which I'm sure have involved teething problems and I'm very happy with the SMISA communication and voting process' to date. For me, this albeit short track record warrants a decent crack at the whip. 

1 minute ago, Lord Pityme said:

The smisa committe have been at pains to ensure that no one candidate, or candidates, were seen to be favoured in anyway. This was to facilitate an open, fair, independent and honest election process. If the directors of SMiSA can do it..?

Dickhead's only in the process to sabotage it.

You're in the process to TALK ABOUT YOU. Nothing else.  If you can find a way to insert you and your YOU agenda into this, in any way, you will.

it's not about St Mirren, its community and potential progress - all of that for you is a means to an end... You, you, you.

i'm sorry that, on this occasion, I have added to your wanky pish about YOU.

1 hour ago, antrin said:

You're in the process to TALK ABOUT YOU. Nothing else.  If you can find a way to insert you and your YOU agenda into this, in any way, you will.

it's not about St Mirren, its community and potential progress - all of that for you is a means to an end... You, you, you.

You love talking about him :lol:

4 hours ago, antrin said:

Oh dear - are you wanting some attention again? :rolleyes:

Interesting range of personalities and qualities, I reckon any of the 3 would do a good job.

That's my vote registered, not how I thought I would vote but after reading each statement and watching each video I'm quite happy with my vote. 

Good luck to all 3 guys, massive respect for sticking your head in the firing line. 

19 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

David Nicol may deserve a place on the board but for me he's tarnished by the fact that he's been nominated by the Chairman and endorsed by the CEO - neither of whom appear to have got the engine running at St Mirren yet.

My fingers are trembling as I type this Stuart but I must agree with your opinion.

Furthermore the last thing we need is for our supporters' elected board member to be looked upon as the chairman's ally / patsy. IMO no members of our new board should have interfered in any way in this election regardless of their SMiSA membership.

19 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

David Nicol may deserve a place on the board but for me he's tarnished by the fact that he's been nominated by the Chairman and endorsed by the CEO - neither of whom appear to have got the engine running at St Mirren yet.

My fingers are trembling as I type this Stuart but I must agree with your opinion.

Furthermore the last thing we need is for our supporters' elected board member to be looked upon as the chairman's ally / patsy. IMO no members of our new board should have interfered in any way in this election regardless of their SMiSA membership.

You've hit the nail on the head. By giving public backing to one candidate the board have made people sit up and and think is there an ulterior motive.

It stinks and as far as I am concerned the sooner a new face is on the board the better.

18 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

The smisa committe have been at pains to ensure that no one candidate, or candidates, were seen to be favoured in anyway. This was to facilitate an open, fair, independent and honest election process. If the directors of SMiSA can do it..?

45 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

25 minutes ago, El Gingero said:

You've hit the nail on the head. By giving public backing to one candidate the board have made people sit up and and think is there an ulterior motive.

It stinks and as far as I am concerned the sooner a new face is on the board the better.

I know of David Nicol and Kenny Morrison, and have known of them for many years. I am also impressed with David Rilley's statement.

Whilst David deserves utmost credit for the work he has done for SMISA, the role HAS to be given to someone who will constantly challenge the BoD on decisions that affect the fans, and pressure them to make the right decisions for the fans and the community.

The fact that Tony has endorsed David, and Gordon Scott nominated him as well, does not sit well with me. It would appear that they favour him, and that concerns me. It gives me the impression that they have no worries about David's influence in the boardroom and aren't worried about being challenged.

We need someone who isn't afraid to talk out against the BoD, and will challenge decisions the fans disagree with. In my view, whilst David is clearly a knowledgeable and nice person, I don't see him standing up and telling Gordon and Tony to f'k off when they put forward decisions that won't be favourable by the fans.

Some decisions which are not favourable to the fans might be highly favourable to the Club. 

True, but the role of the SMISA elected representative is to make sure the fans voices are heard.

I might be totally wrong about David's ability to do this, but that's what happens when the current BoD fail to remain impartial.

The Fans voices can be heard and mostly ignored on this Forum, Facebook, Twitter, Emails, Telephone and via the Postal Service. 

And if summat ain't good for the Club, it will be ignored in the Boardroom also. 

The Tannoy has slightly improved after 3 years of a fan getting ignored. 

There is a legal onus on a board member to act in the best interests of the company at all times, but one of the best interests of the club should surely be to make customers feel valued, listened to and to give value for money. Hopefully the new board will remember this better than the old board used to. 

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

There is a legal onus on a board member to act in the best interests of the company at all times, but one of the best interests of the club should surely be to make customers feel valued, listened to and to give value for money. Hopefully the new board will remember this better than the old board used to. 

Reveal hidden contents

And it's shareholders , one of whom is SMiSA!

Maybe some are forgetful that Gordon and Tony are also fans. Its not a 'them' v 'us' situation.

And obviously Gordon will be handing over the keys at some point so the SMISA rep(s) will end up running the Club and all that that entails. There is a lot more to the job than 'representing the fans'.

For Gordon and Tony to endorse probably the only SMISA rep they know is natural in my opinion as at the moment everyone is finding their feet and having to start all over again with a new Board member would possibly entail more work for the current Board until the new member gets a feel for the job and is able to contribute substantially.

And for the record I reckon the new Board have achieved a lot in the short time they have been in post and have created a togetherness between (some of) the fans and the BOD that we did not witness in the past. For example both Gordon and Tony were in the 1877 bar on Sunday chatting with fans before the match.

I'm not sure if I'm buying into the idea that the SMiSA rep who is elected will necessarily be 'challenging' the board. He will be a part of that board, so will have the same status as the others in terms of generating ideas and raising issues, etc.

I assume that the idea is for the SMiSA member to represent the broader membership (and support base in general), not agitate for the sake of it.

Sonny is spot-on, it isn't a them v us scenario. This isn't like a Parliament that requires an effective opposition. Yes, we need someone who is confident and assertive, but he will be part of a team, so should be working towards consensus where possible.

Personally, I'd rather have someone who has good ideas, a bit of drive, and, above all, a love for our club. I'm less concerned about how effectively he can challenge the chairman and CEO, etc. Ideally, they will work together, and that won't be necessary too often.

Edited by Drew

8 minutes ago, Drew said:

I'm not sure if I'm buying into the idea that the SMiSA rep who is elected will necessarily be 'challenging' the board. He will be a part of that board, so will have the same status as the others in terms of generating ideas and raising issues, etc.

I assume that the idea is for the SMiSA member to represent the broader membership (and support base in general), not agitate for the sake of it.

Sonny is spot-on, it isn't a them v us scenario. This isn't like a Parliament that requires an effective opposition. Yes, we need someone who is confident and assertive, but he will be part of a team, so should be working towards consensus where possible.

Personally, I'd rather have someone who has good ideas, a bit of drive, and, above all, a love for our club. I'm less concerned about how effectively he can challenge the chairman and CEO, etc. Ideally, they will work together, and that won't be necessary too often.

Just like the guys on the pitch, the Smisa director is joining a team, he/she needs to bring their talent to the fore, be decisive, but also play for the team, and all us in the support.

how quickly would a blow-hard become a bore and counterproductive? In such a short space of time the board, smisa and the fans have come together and delivered a project in weeks, that had been years in the pipeline.

it is with immense pride i look at the first project spend decided upon by the smisa members, a facility to ensure no matter what challenges you have in life, at our club we see you first as one of us, a St mirren supporter and we will happily make sure you can enjoy the same rights of access as all St Mirren fans. There is much to be proud of at our club, perhaps tapping into that can inspire us all to up our game?

7 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Just like the guys on the pitch, the Smisa director is joining a team, he/she needs to bring their talent to the fore, be decisive, but also play for the team, and all us in the support.

how quickly would a blow-hard become a bore and counterproductive? In such a short space of time the board, smisa and the fans have come together and delivered a project in weeks, that had been years in the pipeline.

it is with immense pride i look at the first project spend decided upon by the smisa members, a facility to ensure no matter what challenges you have in life, at our club we see you first as one of us, a St mirren supporter and we will happily make sure you can enjoy the same rights of access as all St Mirren fans. There is much to be proud of at our club, perhaps tapping into that can inspire us all to up our game?

Absolutely spot on!

I don't see the ideal rep as an agitator either, but they must be openly available to the membership and they must be able to forcefully represent the members and the customer base in general when the need arises.

Ive seen Kenny Morrison in action, as have you Drew. It was the contentious issue of the last 10 years in Scottish Football and yet he sat quietly and didn't challenge the clearly dubious evidence. In my opinion he'd be an utterly bizarre choice as rep, catastrophic even, given his lack of success at MyScotFC, and his constant reference to the failed project at Ebbsfleet.

I can't argue with the need for ideas and for drive. The club desperately needs that. I'm hoping one of the other two have that cause by f**k does the club need something properly fresh to sort the current malaise out.

I don't see the ideal rep as an agitator either, but they must be openly available to the membership and they must be able to forcefully represent the members and the customer base in general when the need arises.

Ive seen Kenny Morrison in action, as have you Drew. It was the contentious issue of the last 10 years in Scottish Football and yet he sat quietly and didn't challenge the clearly dubious evidence. In my opinion he'd be an utterly bizarre choice as rep, catastrophic even, given his lack of success at MyScotFC, and his constant reference to the failed project at Ebbsfleet.

I can't argue with the need for ideas and for drive. The club desperately needs that. I'm hoping one of the other two have that cause by f**k does the club need something properly fresh to sort the current malaise out.

I did challenge, MyScotFC raised more for Newmains than their local fan base (sponsors and club officials aside) did and funnily enough I wasn't running the project at Ebbsfleet. I'm frankly tired of your agenda against me though Stuart, not to mention bemused at how little of it is factual.