Tom Walsh

magnus

Surely you can't dispute Shankland made a big impact when he came on. 

Well he was involved in neither goal. He had an open goal from 2 yards out, and he still missed. He was a bit of an improvement on Clarkson right enough, in the sense he shuffled around the park slightly quicker.

Oh and, he has a great long throw.

Of course he can.

He was seething last season when his goals played a critical part in our dismal season, never liked him from day one.

Prefers to focus on his miss on Saturday, nothing else.

His goal record last year was poor aswell. His goals to minutes ratio was one of the lowest for main strikers in the league.

Just now, TopCat said:

Well he was involved in neither goal. He had an open goal from 2 yards out, and he still missed. He was a bit of an improvement on Clarkson right enough, in the sense he shuffled around the park slightly quicker.

He hit the underside of the bar and had a goal chalked off. 

1 minute ago, TopCat said:

What players do you give pass marks to this season ? 

I believe Shankand can still be an important player for us . 

Just now, TopCat said:

You say he hit the underside of the bar like it was a good thing? :lol:

Even faraway saint would have scored from that position. The goal he got chalked off was because he pushed the defender...

The point I'm making is he is getting into positions to score. Take your blinkers off and ask other fans.

Shankland has been poor this season but who hasn't? He has potential and should be encouraged to reach it.

6 minutes ago, TopCat said:

You say he hit the underside of the bar like it was a good thing? :lol:

Even faraway saint would have scored from that position. The goal he got chalked off was because he pushed the defender...

Did you see the speed that the ball arrived at his feet? He had a split second to react. 

1 minute ago, Kendo said:

Did you see the speed that the ball arrived at his feet? He had a split second to react. 

Thought the same . It looked like a bad miss at the time , but since have seen it again and it was unlucky . 

I don't believe come January , we'll be able to bring in someone of a better standard than him . 

What players do you give pass marks to this season ? 

I believe Shankand can still be an important player for us . 

Sutton. 6 goals in less than half a season despite - inexplicably - spending a lot of time on the bench is a decent return, and what you'd expect from our lead striker. He's on course to be our first 15-20 man since Thommo, and how badly we have missed that in the last 2 seasons.

Apart from that nobody.

I don't know how anyone who's seen Shankland play this season can see him as anything other than a total liability. Then again I said in the summer he and Clarkson shouldn't be re-signed, and I was amazed firstly when they were and secondly the joy from a lot of fans when they were. I bet Alex Rae regrets his decision to bring them both back now.

I simply don't get how forwards who don't score or make assists are held in such high regard by large swathes of our fanbase. Maybe it's the long throw...?

2 minutes ago, TopCat said:

Sutton. 6 goals in less than half a season despite - inexplicably - spending a lot of time on the bench is a decent return, and what you'd expect from our lead striker. He's on course to be our first 15-20 man since Thommo, and how badly we have missed that in the last 2 seasons.

Apart from that nobody.

I don't know how anyone who's seen Shankland play this season can see him as anything other than a total liability. Then again I said in the summer he and Clarkson shouldn't be re-signed, and I was amazed firstly when they were and secondly the joy from a lot of fans when they were.

I simply don't get how forwards who don't score or make assists are held in such high regard by large swathes of our fanbase. Maybe it's the long throw...?

Why do you single him out? How many goals did he score last season? 

He scored the winner  v Albion Rovers in the Challenge Cup. 

1 hour ago, TopCat said:

Apart from that nobody.

I don't know how anyone who's seen Shankland play this season can see him as anything other than a total liability. Then again I said in the summer he and Clarkson shouldn't be re-signed, and I was amazed firstly when they were and secondly the joy from a lot of fans when they were. I bet Alex Rae regrets his decision to bring them both back now.

We scored quite a few goals last season thank to his long throw. It was also because of his throw we got a draw at Ayr.

On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 4:41 PM, Eaglesham saint said:

Centre half ?

Did McKenzie and Baird not play well ,add Ben Gordon to the mix ???. I don't think it's as urgent as it was.

Apologies - been away for a couple of days.

Yes - I was heartened by the defensive performance over the last couple of games (obvious clangers aside) - and yes perhaps McKenzie and Baird will work out (I have talked up Baird in previous posts) - but one swallow doesn't make a summer and I still think we need a commanding\experienced centre half to work with Baird and bring him along. We have had two clean sheets all season - and the last of them came on 30 July against the team currently bottom of the lowest professional league in the country with only twelve league goals to their credit. McKenzie and perhaps Gordon could provide competition for this main pairing and hopefully push up performance through said competition. Obviously a commanding central midfield player is also needed, but what we need from additions to either of those areas is leadership - we still have a real lack of that at the moment.

On ‎15‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 4:55 PM, TopCat said:

Knows where the goal is? He hasn't scored a league goal all season. He's had plenty of chances from starting games and coming off the bench and his goal rate is simply embarrassing. His miss late in the game on Saturday was one of the worst I've ever seen and summed up his season perfectly.

He clearly isn't fit, but the big question is why isn't he fit? He had a full pre season, with Aberdeen then with us and he hasn't been injured. The only reason he's not fit is that he's too lazy to get himself fit, he doesn't care enough to put the effort in.

He would be first out the door in January if it was up to me. I would be surprised if he's still playing full time football this time next year.

As for Walsh, I don't rate him Hardie or Shankland but if I had to pick one to keep I would pick Tom. He has something about him and is a useful option from the bench.

Again - late to the party, sorry - and others more eloquent than me have already made my points for me - but it's rude not to reply :)

Yes TC - I think he does know where the goal is - he got into double figures last year and was one of only two who did. I think the problem this year is fitness and if he can sort that out and if we can find a way to play him and Sutton together I think we can have one of best strikeforces in the league.

Of course if he can't get fit then that's a different matter - although when he comes on he at least looks interested and has also been unfortunate in front of goals on more than one occasion (despite his rare\short-lived outings). He certainly looks more interested than some others (not referring to Walsh here).

Speaking - finally - of Mr Walsh; apologies if you are reading this - we all seem to have moved off topic... :)

Edited by southsidebud

On 11/15/2016 at 5:28 PM, Drew said:

He is clearly overweight, and that isn't acceptable for a young player. I suggested in another thread that he should be given an ultimatum to lose weight by January. I think he has lost a few pounds since the Dundee United game, so is hopefully on track.

I was reading earlier today that Ronaldo does 3,000 sit-ups every day, when he's *not* training.

Not saying a few crunches would turn Shankland into a megastar, but if your career depends on it, you'd get yourself into shape.

Just out of curiousity, I thought I'd see what each striker's minutes per goal contribution worked out as, taking into account the actual minutes played. Also listed the number of starts they've had, for interest.

Sutton - 14 starts, 6 goals, 2 assists (Goal contribution every 157 minutes)

Hardie - 8 starts, 3 goals, 1 assist (Goal cont. every 211 minutes)

Shankland - 6 starts, 2 goals, 3 assists (Goal cont. every 146 minutes)

Clarkson - 11 starts - 3 goals, 1 assist (Goal cont. every 229 minutes)

Shankland has the best goals per minute ratio, with the least starts. Sutton has come into form with 4 goals in his last 6 games, but both have been doubles - hadn't scored since September before the 2 on Sunday.

In short, everyone has to do better, but some are getting more credit than others for contribution. Ultimately it's up to the manager to decide who he will pick, and who he'll let go.

On 15 November 2016 at 11:21 AM, southsidebud said:

I'd keep Walsh and Shankland unless we needed to free up wage slots for a decent centre half. Walsh has the ability to make game changing interventions (although he can be inconsistent) and he has demonstrable talent. Shankland knows where the goal is and if he can get his fitness, as well as a run in the team, I believe he can deliver.

In my opinion Hardie is a poser and an imposter - happy to lose him now.

7 goals in 10 games for Raith last season isn't too shabby at all. Maybe he's not getting played to his strength's?

22 hours ago, Magic Monkey said:

I was reading earlier today that Ronaldo does 3,000 sit-ups every day, when he's *not* training.

Not saying a few crunches would turn Shankland into a megastar, but if your career depends on it, you'd get yourself into shape.

Pay me the money he gets and I would do 30,000 sit-ups a day.  smileys-fitness-958057.gif Mind you, it would probably kill me.