Fans from outside Paisley

First time poster. Read forum on and off over years.

Anyway, grew up in Foxbar and went to school there.

Went to Newcastle for a long long time (NUFC) my 2nd team.

I've been in Ayr for 14 years now and there is quite a few Saints down here.

Always a bud where ever I have been.

Still go when poss depending on nights or weekends but try to get once a month although sore on the eyes just now.

My best Bud is a St Mirren fan living in Carfin so not too far away.....

I was born in Glasgow, live in Inverkip and have a business in Greenock.

Walking down to the local shops on the Monday morning after winning the League Cup in 2013 and being congratulated on our win by just about everyone I passed, in enemy territory, was brilliant and quite heart-warming!!

Aye not far at all small world ????

11 minutes ago, div said:

Sometimes I wonder why I bother running this site, I genuinely do.

Then I read threads like this and I remember exactly why.

Great thread.

And you missed one of the best posts in it :D

Now 2 :)

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Born in Paisley but grew up in Bishopton where my folks still are. Stayed in Edinburgh while at uni and now live in Dumfries (after a few years in Kirkcudbright).

Stay with my brother when I come back for home games as he's only a mile or so from the ground - he handily moved in about six months before Saints moved. I'm sure that had nothing to do with his decision on where to live...

Where abouts in Dumfries? I was in Troqueer originally but moved to Georgetown a few years back.

Spoiler

Cartha Road initially then moved to Calside court , up past the Jolly.

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

Born in Renfrew, lived in Barrhead for 20 years, but have lived in Paisley for the past 21 years.

As a kid, I used to get a lift over, along with my cousins from Gallowhill and collect beer bottles, but never really supported the Buds.

When I went to Secondary School at St.Mirin's, I realised folk supported other teams, rather than The Old Firm.  Had a soft spot for Dundee Utd (I think I liked their strip, all tangerine with a black strip on the shorts).  Attended a game versus Dundee Utd (in 1969/70 I think) with my cousin and their neighbour (born in St.Helens and a Bud for life) and declared that whoever won, that was who I would support for the rest of my Puff.  Needless to say, Saints won and the rest is history.

I'd guess a large percentage of Saints Fans do not live in Paisley.

Remember living in Hong Kong during the seventies and heading down to Starferry on Mondays to get the UK sunday papers to get the Saints score , also remember staying up til the middle of the night listening to BBC world service but falling asleep before the results came round , Living in Ingerlandshire and coming up once or twice a year for a game  and then eventually moving to Scotland and getting to watch the Saints every week

Born, brought up and still live in the south side of Glasgow.  Grandfather had brought my dad up in Scoutston as a Saints fan to avoid the OF, easy ferry from Yoker to Renfrew. Father brought me up the same, been going since I was 5 so 39 years of hope, despair, misery. Not sure which is worse.

Was the only Saints fan I knew growing up so was a lonely existence outside of a Saturday.  Joined the Chivas Bus in '92 and found a second family. 

18 minutes ago, Vambo57 said:

Born in Renfrew, lived in Barrhead for 20 years, but have lived in Paisley for the past 21 years.

As a kid, I used to get a lift over, along with my cousins from Gallowhill and collect beer bottles, but never really supported the Buds.

When I went to Secondary School at St.Mirin's, I realised folk supported other teams, rather than The Old Firm.  Had a soft spot for Dundee Utd (I think I liked their strip, all tangerine with a black strip on the shorts).  Attended a game versus Dundee Utd (in 1969/70 I think) with my cousin and their neighbour (born in St.Helens and a Bud for life) and declared that whoever won, that was who I would support for the rest of my Puff.  Needless to say, Saints won and the rest is history.

I'd guess a large percentage of Saints Fans do not live in Paisley.

Could it have been this game?.........

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1969&GameID=1267

Retired now originally born in Dundee,went as a 6 year old lad to live in a prefab in Dumbarton.my gran sent me out to play with the 2 wee lads next door. One of them ask me if I was a catholic or a proddie,I had to go and ask my Gran. An early introduction to the west coast indeed,my first game was when we lived in Dundee my Dad was a Dark Blue and I still look for their results.i went the Sons from then on as my Dad was a believer in supporting the local team.I remember going to Sons v Raith 1956 record crowd at Boghead 18,001 H&S would have a field day,surfed from the back and sat in front of the wall.

Dundee had a great team during the halcyon days of Scottish Football, Kille,Hearts and Dundee all won the league and my Dad took me to see lots of games around Glasgow. The highlight being Ibrox 62 Dundee 5-1.The best header of a ball I've ever seen Alan Gilzean scored 4.

I watched Sons till we moved to Eaglesham 2012. Wee Johnny was nearly 7 so I took him to Killie.Thistle,Hamilton and Saints.

No doubt the Buddies were the best Johnny got carrying the cup down to get photos,treated great we were.Half seasons were bought and 1st game was Saints 4-1 v the Arabs.Johnny thought oh this is good,but it doesn't happen all the time.

last  season I really felt for for him so I played the cup final and said to him "Saints fans get more from a final than the old firm fans ever do"

4 seasons later we are still going and I realised I was not fit enough to go with him on my own,so my wife or son in law are my carers,I stopped driving and after asking on here Buddie in EK very kindly now takes us to most home games.

I've  met many great people on here and in person, and thanks to Ferguslie Bud for starting a terrific thread

COYS

Edited by Eaglesham saint
Missing words

33 minutes ago, Eaglesham saint said:

Retired now originally born in Dundee,went as a 6 year old lad to live in a prefab in Dumbarton.my gran sent me out to play with the 2 wee lads next door. One of them ask me if I was a catholic or a proddie,I had to go and ask my Gran. An early introduction to the west coast indeed,my first game was when we lived in Dundee my Dad was a Dark Blue and I still look for their results.i went the Sons from then on as my Dad was a believer in supporting the local team.I remember going to Sons v Raith 1956 record crowd at Boghead 18,001 H&S would have a field day,surfed from the back and sat in front of the wall.

Dundee had a great team during the halcyon days of Scottish Football, Kille,Hearts and Dundee and my Dad took me to see lots of games around Glasgow. The highlight being Ibrox 62 Dundee 5-1.The best header of a ball I've ever seen Alan Gilzean scored 4.

I watched Sons till we moved to Eaglesham 2012. Wee Johnny was nearly 7 so I took him to Killie.Thistle,Hamilton and Saints.

No doubt the Buddies were the best Johnny got carrying the cup down to get photos,treated great we were.Half seasons were bought and 1st game was Saints 4-1 v the Arabs.Johnny thought oh this is good,but it doesn't happen all the time.

last  season I really felt for for him so I played the cup final and said to him "Saints fans get more from a final than the old firm fans ever do"

4 seasons later we are still going and I realised I was not fit enough to go with him on my own,so my wife or son in law are my carers,I stopped driving and after asking on here Buddie in EK very kindly now takes us to most home games.

I've  met many great people on here and in person, and thanks to Ferguslie Bud for starting a terrific thread

COYS

Love this post. 

A topper :clapping

Lived in Paisley for the first 18 years of my life, went to most home games from the age of about 7, before playing for Glenniffer Thistle on Saturday afternoons.
Used to sit with my mates on the wall behind the goals at the Love Street end and my dad went up closer to the Northbank. Can still vividly remember the sound of the ball hitting the net against Hammarby(sorry, positive thread), but also hammering Hearts 6-2 in '85, I think. I've so many amazing memories of Love Street, the players and fans there.
Moved away from Paisley in 1990, living in St Andrews, Aberdeen and back to Fife, but have always been proud to tell people I'm a Saints fan or from Paisley. You nearly always get a positive reaction from fans of other teams when they find out you're a Buddie. The other great thing is meeting fellow Saints fans through here, although it doesn't happen often. There's an immediate bond that Old Firm fans don't have as the whole of Scotland is crawling with them. I'm sure fans of Hamilton, Partick etc feel the same as us.
My son is the 4th generation of St Mirren fan in our family. I haven't forced it on him at all, but I sometimes wonder if I should've encouraged him more towards a local team, but I reckon something was ingrained in him when himself, his dad(greetin) and grandad were hugging each other at the full-time whistle on March 17th 2013. If he gets into his teens and starts going over to Dens or Tannadice with his mates, then that's absolutely fine, but I've got a sneaky wee suspicion I might be celebrating a Saints win with him and his kids in the distant future.
St Mirren, wherever you stay, is about more than just football.

Not being funny guys , but after reading through this thread , you need a 'Foxbar' connection to be in the clique :P

Seriously though, it's magic reading the backdrop to how we all ended up with the same 'addiction' St Mirren :)

Symptoms CAN sometimes include ; hating every manager , slagging every player , slagging fans groups & councils , loving every win , being optimistic , pessimistic , fearful , hopeful , travelling far , not going to games but offering opinions regardless , arguing with other forum members , hating anything other than black boots & short back and sides haircuts , tannoy affliction , strip envy , mood swings , loving the club more than family.

If you find yourself suffering from any or all of the above symptoms ( sometimes all during one game ) then you are indeed a fan of St Mirren FC

* You should seek medical attention and/or Counselling urgently should these symptoms become severe & frequent.