We Are Down

4 minutes ago, melmac said:

Can do no worse than what has been in place the last couple of years. The team needs a strong spine but when it gets to the middle of the park, its non existent, too many wee boys who canny tackle, or pass to that matter.

I agree that we need a bit of steel in there , but I don't think Naismith is the answer . 

Hopefully we'll see Quinn back soon . 

TBF LPM you were not happy with any of the last 5 appoints and going from stats your right.

One thing is, its obvious our club is broken, started in 2011 and got steadily worse year on year with exception of the 2013 success is been down down down

Facts can be sobering.......

3 Saints managers in the last 3 years never experienced a league home win IM TC and JR. That's 21 games and 16 defeats and a win ratio of 0%.

Show me any top flight team in the world that has that stat?

Somewhere in lower Patagonia someone is looking at our league table and saying who the hell is this team St Mirren.... A team that's shipped 35 points in 13 matches

A team that has lost 49 times out of the last 85 matches .... had 6 managers since 2011 and 4 of those managers had a combined managerial experience of 3 years, and in those 3 years, 2 were relegation campaigns......

So there is maybe a picture and a pattern..  We recruit based on an interview with no CV, how many here have ever done that?

So jut for the record and the only facts that actually matter in football is since Danny got bumped

P 87 W 20 D 18 L 49 Win rate 22% Loss Rate 57%........

Nows that's kind of defeats what SG said re Danny taking us far as he can. That's as 13 place ABOVE where we are now.... 

3 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

TBF LPM you were not happy with any of the last 5 appoints and going from stats your right.

One thing is, its obvious our club is broken, started in 2011 and got steadily worse year on year with exception of the 2013 success is been down down down

Facts can be sobering.......

3 Saints managers in the last 3 years never experienced a league home win IM TC and JR. That's 21 games and 16 defeats and a win ratio of 0%.

Show me any top flight team in the world that has that stat?

Somewhere in lower Patagonia someone is looking at our league table and saying who the hell is this team St Mirren.... A team that's shipped 35 points in 13 matches

A team that has lost 49 times out of the last 85 matches .... had 6 managers since 2011 and 4 of those managers had a combined managerial experience of 3 years, and in those 3 years, 2 were relegation campaigns......

So there is maybe a picture and a pattern..  We recruit based on an interview with no CV, how many here have ever done that?

So jut for the record and the only facts that actually matter in football is since Danny got bumped

P 87 W 20 D 18 L 49 Win rate 22% Loss Rate 57%........

Nows that's kind of defeats what SG said re Danny taking us far as he can. That's as 13 place ABOVE where we are now.... 

Out of interest , what were Danny's stats ? 

5 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

I hope not....... we must bring in someone to oversee next 4/5 months supporting JR

Sacking has been 50% of the problem, recruiting the other 50%

Bang on DJ, it was the current board who perpetuated that ridiculous policy by sacking Rae after six games, you have to ask will our club ever learn???

Just now, Lord Pityme said:

Bang on DJ, it was the current board who perpetuated that ridiculous policy by sacking Rae after six games, you have to ask will our club ever learn???

Good question based on last 4 years- NO

GS had no plan apart from sacking AR,

If we can find a chairman with no S or G in initials it might be a start :blink: 

2 hours ago, whydowebother said:

Agreed , yet Rae got 6 games this season , drew 3 lost 3.

Ross will remain , wasn't a great choice & clearly a gamble.

How many defeats is acceptable , when you can add no league wins to compensate for that run ?

Alex Rae wasn't replaced purely because of the form on the pitch. The new board wanted their own man, aligned with their own strategy.

Whether Jack was the right choice is up for debate of course but in my own opinion it's kind of hard to judge him until he's had time to bring in at least some of his own players.

We're all deeply worried about the situation we find ourselves in but for me anyway it's not the time for knee jerk reactions, we need to stick with it.

I wòuld love to see Ross bring in new 'better' players. However with no money to spend it will most likely be swapping two loanees if we can secure better ones, or adding two out of contract players to replace loanees.

finding, and keeping a decent out of contract player hasnt been a strength of ours in recent times. I would like it to be different, but cant see Ross having much to work with, and if our woeful run continues till then it will prove nigh on impossible to attract the quality and desire we need.

6 minutes ago, div said:

Alex Rae wasn't replaced purely because of the form on the pitch. The new board wanted their own man, aligned with their own strategy.

Whether Jack was the right choice is up for debate of course but in my own opinion it's kind of hard to judge him until he's had time to bring in at least some of his own players.

We're all deeply worried about the situation we find ourselves in but for me anyway it's not the time for knee jerk reactions, we need to stick with it.

What strategy? If there is one shouldn't there be some comment or coverage on how well the progress is going? 

The club clearly can't keep on sacking managers, and Ross clearly has to be given a chance to turn things around, but as I said in the we're down thread my son pointed out to me before and at half time that St Mirren players were doing a simplified version of a drill that most kids will have been doing since from around 12 years old and those St Mirren players were struggling to do it at that. The results and performances show a very low level of ability at the club right now and whilst a lot of that can be apportioned to the likes of David Longwell, Alex Rae / Ian Murray, and Stewart Gilmour - that is only going to last so long before you really have to turn your attention on Gordon Scott, Jack Ross and Alan McManus. 

Today i've been feeling a bit more optimistic...i'm not sure why. 

We win our game in-hand (yes we haven't won a league game yet, i know) Dumbarton hit a rough patch and we start to get closer to where we want to be by the end of the year. It's a hard pill to swallow but right now i would take a minimum 9th place. There isn't much in terms of points between Dumbarton and Ayr and what i witnessed from Ayr a fortnight ago, they are not that great, but obviously have picked up 4 more wins than we have.

An ideal scenario this Saturday, would be that we win comfortably and get a few goals along the way, which could spur us on to being more clinical in front of goal, with two tough trips away coming up. 

Edited to add: Ayr Utd have only scored 1 more goal than us, though find themselves 10 points ahead of us. Dumbarton have scored 2 more than us. That's the difference between taking your chances in front of goal.

Edited by kevo_smfc
Add on

Need to try to stay as positive as we can. I think performances have been better since Ross took over, save one notable exception, and we have created more and defended better in general. There is nothing else for it as supporters than to keep supporting the team. Starting to slate the manager already is not the right move. Get behind him and the team, and we can get that first win. Once we get it, I'm sure more will follow.

There are a lot of points to be played for, and plenty of time to turn it around, although with each passing week it becomes more unlikely. I believe in unlikely scenarios unfolding, and believe we can get out of the trouble we are in, which is becoming a more unlikely scenario all the time, but nowhere near impossible.

I certainly don't have time to continue making scapegoats of the players and management team - that will achieve nothing, save to work out some of our own frustration.

Onwards and upwards. Another cup win on Saturday, followed by our first league win the game after. We can do it.

1 hour ago, div said:

Honestly that's a bit shite 

So Rae was on a hiding to nothing then

Would explain the shitey squad he left us with if he got wind that he wasn't in the Chairman's plans

Just think in a couple of months time when we are above Dunfermline, Dumbarton and Ayr we can look back at this time in our clubs history with a wee smile.

It's bad but I genuinely feel we will get out of this situation between now and the end of the season.:-)

It's arguably the worst few seasons I have witnessed in my 25 plus years of being a regular at St Mirren Park.

We have to stick together and do our best to back the club.

In perspective, we have indeed had the most horrific start to a season that we have ever, and likely will ever have had.

That said, we can still hope for a couple of new faces in January that might make a difference.

End of the day, a win or two HAVE to come from somewhere.

23 matches to go, and whilst I know there's no evidence we can do it, I reckon a record of 7 wins, 6 draws, 10 losses, giving us a total (with our existing 4 points) of 31 points would be enough for 9th place, and it is achievable.

3 hours ago, zurich_allan said:

In perspective, we have indeed had the most horrific start to a season that we have ever, and likely will ever have had.

That said, we can still hope for a couple of new faces in January that might make a difference.

End of the day, a win or two HAVE to come from somewhere.

23 matches to go, and whilst I know there's no evidence we can do it, I reckon a record of 7 wins, 6 draws, 10 losses, giving us a total (with our existing 4 points) of 31 points would be enough for 9th place, and it is achievable.

When you put it like that...................................we're fcuked. :lol:

Och, a lot of nonsense. The likes of Ayr, Dumbarton and Dunfermline are just as pish as we are - just need a couple of wins, which by the law of averages we are due, and we're back in the mix. Then all we have to do is be fractionally less pish than one other side, scrape through the playoffs and start afresh next season.

Couple of canny signings in January alongside some judicious GTFs and Ross can manage this.

In the meantime, lets have a Challenge cup final day out and then start another decade long winning run against the great unwashed.

Chin up.  

4 minutes ago, Alba said:

Och, a lot of nonsense. The likes of Ayr, Dumbarton and Dunfermline are just as pish as we are - just need a couple of wins, which by the law of averages we are due, and we're back in the mix. Then all we have to do is be fractionally less pish than one other side, scrape through the playoffs and start afresh next season.

Couple of canny signings in January alongside some judicious GTFs and Ross can manage this.

In the meantime, lets have a Challenge cup final day out and then start another decade long winning run against the great unwashed.

Chin up.  

I agree. 

Brilliant :clapping

6 minutes ago, Alba said:

Chin up.  

Post of the day!

Chin up.  

Uh huh , except they have 11 , 7 & 8 points more than us.

I'd like to 'actually' be as pish as them.

'All we have to do' ? We have had 13 games to try this 'all we have to do' nonsense while the rest have 'actually' been doing it.

Still , I'm happier now I realise all we have to do is win 4,3 & 3 ( in the order you said ) games to catch them while hoping they all lose equal amount at the same time.

By that logic assuming those 3 teams all lose those games and we win our next 4 , we could be off bottom of table Xmas eve , away to Dundee United having won our 5th game in a row.

Can't wait, cheers

6 minutes ago, whydowebother said:

Uh huh , except they have 11 , 7 & 8 points more than us.

I'd like to 'actually' be as pish as them.

'All we have to do' ? We have had 13 games to try this 'all we have to do' nonsense while the rest have 'actually' been doing it.

Still , I'm happier now I realise all we have to do is win 4,3 & 3 ( in the order you said ) games to catch them while hoping they all lose equal amount at the same time.

By that logic assuming those 3 teams all lose those games and we win our next 4 , we could be off bottom of table Xmas eve , away to Dundee United having won our 5th game in a row.

Can't wait, cheers

Stranger things have happened in football . 

I'll keep believing that we can turn this around until it's arithmeticly impossible .