Striker on trial

We've done this before haven't we? Quite a few times if I remember correctly. It's quite an open ended threat isn't it? Can we agree now though that I really was right about Mark Crilly. :rolleyes:

Spotting that Crilly wasn't a player was like spotting Jedward are not The Beatles!

Now remind me... Who was that left back you raved about that worked his way into obscurity?

Destined for the top, you said.

Turned out to make Jedward sound like the Beatles!

We've done this before haven't we? Quite a few times if I remember correctly. It's quite an open ended threat isn't it? Can we agree now though that I really was right about Mark Crilly. :rolleyes:

...and if it is open ended can I ask a wee favour...

Haud yer wheesht and I will support your right to brag should you turn out to be right!

Your point has been made. You don't rate the lad. Now please stop slating him whilst he is doing his best for the team that you are investing in and that I support.

Undermining your own investments is just lunacy.

Spotting that Crilly wasn't a player was like spotting Jedward are not The Beatles!

Now remind me... Who was that left back you raved about that worked his way into obscurity?

Destined for the top, you said.

Turned out to make Jedward sound like the Beatles!

Marc Corcoran? If you remember correctly I was the one making the point that McPherson would waste him. I said he should be used on the left side of a front three — like he was at Hamilton. McPherson signed him anyway and proceeded to use him as a wing back. I can hardly be blamed for that

Marc Corcoran? If you remember correctly I was the one making the point that McPherson would waste him. I said he should be used on the left side of a front three — like he was at Hamilton. McPherson signed him anyway and proceeded to use him as a wing back. I can hardly be blamed for that

Nope... Corky had potential.
I liked him.

A left back.
Might have had bleached hair?

Nope... Corky had potential.
I liked him.

A left back.
Might have had bleached hair?

And I said he would go to the top?

Are you confusing this story with the slagging Captain Sensible used to give me for being mildly positive about the signing of Chris McGroarty from Dunfermline? I never tipped him for the top. He was 23 when he signed. I said he was a good signing. It's probably the only time where I was proved mildly wrong. He had 16 very average games for St Mirren before his career went on the same all too predictable trajectory.

And I said he would go to the top?

Are you confusing this story with the slagging Captain Sensible used to give me for being mildly positive about the signing of Chris McGroarty from Dunfermline? I never tipped him for the top. He was 23 when he signed. I said he was a good signing. It's probably the only time where I was proved mildly wrong. He had 16 very average games for St Mirren before his career went on the same all too predictable trajectory.

Shit.... I'm having flashbacks.

Aye... That's the one.

Even if it was the only time in yiur life, the very magnitude of that error in judgement gives me the right to ask you to cut Mallan some slack and stop the criticism. Feel free to say I told you so in tbe future if it turns out you are right... Hell... I will even treat you to a night out in Artisan if you are.

In the meantime, lets get behind our young players.

Aye... That's the one.

Even if it was the only time in yiur life, the very magnitude of that error in judgement gives me the right to ask you to cut Mallan some slack and stop the criticism. Feel free to say I told you so in tbe future if it turns out you are right... Hell... I will even treat you to a night out in Artisan if you are.

Aw Brian that's very kind of you. If I can suggest though it might be more charitable to save your offer of a free dinner to give to Stevie Mallan. If his career continues to slide at the alarming rate it has done so over the last six months he might be needing it far more than I ever will. And you can both sit round the table reminiscing of how I was indeed right.

Maybe by that point he'll realise, as Jai Quitongo has done, that knuckling down and grafting really hard particularly when things are against you is what makes a footballer. Jai for the record is a winger, not a striker but he seems to have gotten over it

6 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Aye... That's the one.

What was more amusing was Blub's assertion that he'd seen McGroarty play in a game that the player didn't actually play in.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

What was more amusing was Blub's assertion that he'd seen McGroarty play in a game that the player didn't actually play in.

That's true. It was also perhaps a mitigating factor as to why I called it wrong. 

Anyway these days McGroarty is doing a fine job in management at Wishaw Juniors - believe it or not. 2 back to back promotions and weren't that far away in their third season. 

17 minutes ago, Saint Garf said:

Anybody hear how this guy got on last night? Saw that he started the game and it was 1-1 but haven't heard anything about his performance.

Saw the last 20-25 mins only. Not terribly impressed. Lot of endeavour but little quality on show. Only thing that stood out for me was his first touch was terrible. Should fit in nicely !!  

Very difficult to judge the guy on the basis of 25 mins but certainly looked short of the standard required. 

Saw the last 20-25 mins only. Not terribly impressed. Lot of endeavour but little quality on show. Only thing that stood out for me was his first touch was terrible. Should fit in nicely !!  

Very difficult to judge the guy on the basis of 25 mins but certainly looked short of the standard required. 

Bit like Marwood then

Don't want a headless chicken style striker, but we could definitely do with increasing the work rate up top.

Shanks, Sutton and Clarkson aren't going to chase down defenders and put them under pressure. Not a criticism, it's just not their game. A Stewart Kean style pest of a player is always useful, cause problems, force mistakes, never let defenders settle, try and win the ball higher up the park.

We don't have anyone like that at the moment.