St Mirren v Morton 31st December 2016

Mr Zo

I agree that McLear isn't the issue. I rate McLear highly and think he has the potential to be a first team regular like the 3 you mentioned.
I cannot for the life of me understand what Jack Ross sees in Clarkson. Utterly washed up and done.
He should have went with either Hardie or Shankland up front alongside Sutton and stretched Morton.
Shankland being my preference as he has been effective when he has come on last 20-30 mins of games
Instead he made the game 10 vs 10 by bringing on Clarkson
JR needs to do well in the window or we could be struggling as the other sides above us are picking up points and battling already. Jan and Feb are massive.
Minimum second bottom. Pretty sure we would stay up from there through a play off

Agree with all you say there.

Ross elected to try and refill the midfield... Probably because Mallan and McLear were in dire need of experienced support.

In hindsight the better option may have been to put Shanks on up front. I too agree.

Thing is, we will never know. I respect the managers decisions and reasons for making them.

We were 20 seconds from hailing him a genius!

I don't want to blame Ross as he was saying to the team to push forward but I think that the level of performance after the red card was v poor.  The team stopped playing and decided to stick with the one goal. I watched Falkirk throw the kitchen sink at us four weeks ago and yet we looked genuinely spooked playing Ten man Morton.

9 minutes ago, Drew said:

I didn't say it would be gung-ho. I suspect he would have been criticised had he went for it, though, rather than simply look to retain possession and hold out for the 1-0 victory.

Sadly, we didn't do either, but I don't hold Ross entirely responsible for that.

I read it as that. Reguardless, we f up again playing 10 men and players and mangers has to take the blame for that.

15 minutes ago, norrie82 said:

To be honest jacks style is alot better than previous manager but he has lost an awful lot of points against teams we needed to beat. 

Although it is pointless to wonder what might have been had Alex Rae stayed I could easily imagine an Alex Rae SMFC team winning against Morton at home from being 1-0 up against 10 men with 30 minutes to play (and being easier on the eye than we were for the last 30 minutes), and also grinding out results against Dumbarton, Dunfermline and Ayr when it counts as well. Rae had to do without Quinn and McAllister due to injury during his 6 league games in charge this season.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

Fair call mate I certainly felt that he was sacked far too soon. I mean he actually won saints 27 points in half a season.  Only rangers scored more point. Was it good to watch  no but it was effective and the dogged approach worked. We appointed jack which I have no issue with I like him but he is not winning games despite playing better football. It will be a disaster if we do go down and with us now having lost any ground we made up in December I fear the worst. The team is used to losing and I would think only a hefty injection of cash will save us which won't happen 

Got to blame Ross for that today sadly. The much publicised line of "Quinn can only last 60 minutes" is a gift to other managers as they know its coming and prepare for it. Thought our substitutions were terrible costing us two vital points.

An old head manager would not have lost that at the death today, Ross did.   

Not looking good.

Edited by Gordon Urquhart

3 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Although it is pointless to wonder what might have been had Alex Rae stayed I could easily imagine an Alex Rae SMFC team winning against Morton at home from being 1-0 up against 10 men with 30 minutes to play (and being easier on the eye than we were for the last 30 minutes), and also grinding out results against Dumbarton, Dunfermline and Ayr when it counts as well. Rae had to do without Quinn and McAllister due to injury during his 6 league games in charge this season.

Do you think he would have played McAllister as a regular starter?

Its all whatiffery. Rae put us in an absolutely dire position, and it was blatantly obvious that the players were devoid of confidence. I also vividly recall standing in Somerset Park when we were a goal down, and watching Alex Rae nonchalantly leaning against his dugout like a man without a care in the world. At least Ross looks interested and passionate.

Ross has been handed a thankless task, but he accepted it, and we need to hope that he has the wherewithal to get us through this.

Just now, Drew said:

Do you think he would have played McAllister as a regular starter?

Its all whatiffery. Rae put us in an absolutely dire position, and it was blatantly obvious that the players were devoid of confidence. I also vividly recall standing in Somerset Park when we were a goal down, and watching Alex Rae nonchalantly leaning against his dugout like a man without a care in the world. At least Ross looks interested and passionate.

Ross has been handed a thankless task, but he accepted it, and we need to hope that he has the wherewithal to get us through this.

Given he played McAllister last season as a 16 year old why wouldn't he? He started McAllister ahead of Morgan last season and it's clear Morgan was in his first team plans this season. Last season Rae looked like he cared, this season it looked like he knew he was sure to be fired.

1 minute ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Given he played McAllister last season as a 16 year old why wouldn't he? He started McAllister ahead of Morgan last season and it's clear Morgan was in his first team plans this season. Last season Rae looked like he cared, this season it looked like he knew he was sure to be fired.

Last season, he dug us out of a hole. This season, he didn't look as though he knew what he was doing.

7 minutes ago, class of 76-77 said:

It's quite incredible to read people on this site backing Alex Rae when there's a new man in charge trying to make some sort of inroads to the disgraceful mess that was left behind by the Sevco adoring failure.

Rae is an absolute imposter and the club are well shot of him.

Last season Rae got exactly the kind of points tally we require to lead us to safety this season and he achieved it with a weaker squad than we have this season (Keith Watson is the only real miss from last season, given Goodwin was used sparingly during the 2nd half of the season).

4 minutes ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

That would explain his utter dogshit of a squad this season

I blame Rae more than Ross for our position he signed a player who cannot run anymore

He isn't lazy he cannot run which for footballer is no use

The engine room went off today and were replaced by a forward and player who can't run

No wonder we struggle every week

If Rae was still here we would be in the same position that i have no doubt 100%

He left and didn't make any fuss surprising considering the good job he done the previous half season

Says it all

Our form over the last 5 games is 2 wins, 2 draws and one defeat. Not bad really and if we replicate that over the remaining games we'll have more than 36 points which would be enough to avoid automatic relegation and, most likely, the playoff.

That's just cherry picking data.

You could equally say that our form from the last 11 games is 2 wins, 2 draws and 7 defeats. If we replicate that form over the remaining games we'll go down. Or that our form over the last 3 games is 2 draws and a defeat. If we replicate that form over the remaining games we'll go down too.

We are now in a position where we don't just need wins, we need a run of wins. The teams above us are picking up points week in week out. If we are going to catch them we need to rattle off 4 or 5 wins in a row from somewhere.

Ross was given 28 league games to save our season. He's had 11 of them, we're nearly half through. In that 11 games he's only succeeded in rapidly widening the gap between us and safety. Of the seventeen games we have left, our final four fixtures of this campaign are:

Falkirk a

Dundee Ud a

Raith h

Hibs a

An absolutely brutal end to the season by any measure. We will likely be going to Tannadice and Easter Road when both sides need to win for their title challenge. Our recent record at TFS is hopeleee and Raith are always tough. Given that run in you'd think we need to get off the bottom before the final four fixtures if we are going to have any chance of survival. Thirteen games between now and then, thirteen games to find that run of four or five wins.