St Mirren v Morton 31st December 2016

Mr Zo

7 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

Hope to heaven we arent relegated, but that is what happens ti the worst team in the league, and that is the reality of our season so far.

If you look at our relegation in 2014-15 followed by successive failures to promote to the top league then we have lost squillions of potential income.  Of course we had that in income for many years in the top league and pissed it up against the wall.  Relegation to League 1 will be very harmful but not to extent it would have been back in 1998 when we were around £2,000,000 in debt.

12 hours ago, houston_bud said:

I don't know if it's the argument, but it's how I see it. I also think that the squad that Rae inherited had much more balance, and also experience, than the one he left.

Are you chums with Ian Murray or something? Murray put together the worst squad I can remember and the least balanced squad imaginable!

Senior players in Murray's squad:

Steven Thompson - striker who scored 1 league goal all season

Jim Goodwin - former captain and coach who Murray tried to offload and drop, already at the club in final year of contract

Alan Gow - signed while injured, started 2 league games all season and was subbed at half time in the second one. Murray's first signing!

Scott Agnew - making the step up from part-time football aged 28. What could go wrong?

Andy Webster - signed in September

Jamie Langfield - signed in August, 2 year deal as keeper and coach.

Keith Watson (signed after Naismith was out for the season with a knee injury).

Murray's other signings:

Paul McMullan (making the step up from U20 football)

Cameron Howieson (making the step up from U20 football)

Luke Conlan (making the step up from U20 football)

Calum Gallagher (making the step up from U20 football)

Lawrence Shankland (making the step up from U20 football)

Jaison McGrath (making the step up from U20 football).

Stuart Carswell (signed from Motherwell)

Players Murray inherited:

Mark Ridgers, Jason Naismith, Sean Kelly, Stevie Mallan, Lewis Morgan, Lewis McLear, Barry Cuddihy, Jim Goodwin, Jordan Stewart.

With the exception of Jim Goodwin, Murray inherited a squad where most of the players were either making the step up from U20 football (Morgan, McLear, Cuddihy, Stewart) or only had 1 or 2 seasons first team experience (Naismith, Kelly, Mallan, Ridgers). He decided to fill his squad mostly with other players also making the step up from U20 football and all that happened was it took 2-6 games to realise that in most cases Conlan, Howieson, McMullan, McGraith were not good enough to cut in the Scottish Championship. His choice of senior players to sign were woeful: Thompson at 36 was finished due to injury, Gow hardly enjoyed the reputation of being a dependable stalwart either.

Before the season started he only signed 2 experienced players to add to those mentioned and both of them were gambles (Agnew making the transition to full time football at the age of 28, and Carswell).

Murray's only decent signings were Keith Watson (only signed after Jason Naismith's injury) and Shankland (who Murray refused to use a starting XI player).

Thought the atmosphere was great at the Stadium yesterday. 

Nothing better than hearing the three home Stands giving Oh When The Saints laldy. 

Once we go on our winning run, Greenhill Road will rock. 

Aye & the booing at the end of the game. Aye great support, we are where we are right now we don't need that.

Rae didn't sign any of the player I mentioned, that's my point. All of those players would improve our current squad (maybe not first 11, but definitely squad). The only one of those players that he couldn't have kept was Watson. All the others would have stayed, he got rid of them to bring in his own players. And his own players were worse than what he'd let go.

I'm not paid to make the changes, I pay my way & hopefully the manager makes the right decisions, he didn't, it was proved with losing a goal in the dying seconds.

6 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

Are you chums with Ian Murray or something? Murray put together the worst squad I can remember and the least balanced squad imaginable!

Senior players in Murray's squad:

Steven Thompson - striker who scored 1 league goal all season

Jim Goodwin - former captain and coach who Murray tried to offload and drop, already at the club in final year of contract

Alan Gow - signed while injured, started 2 league games all season and was subbed at half time in the second one. Murray's first signing!

Scott Agnew - making the step up from part-time football aged 28. What could go wrong?

Andy Webster - signed in September

Jamie Langfield - signed in August, 2 year deal as keeper and coach.

Keith Watson (signed after Naismith was out for the season with a knee injury).

Murray's other signings:

Paul McMullan (making the step up from U20 football)

Cameron Howieson (making the step up from U20 football)

Luke Conlan (making the step up from U20 football)

Calum Gallagher (making the step up from U20 football)

Lawrence Shankland (making the step up from U20 football)

Jaison McGrath (making the step up from U20 football).

Stuart Carswell (signed from Motherwell)

Players Murray inherited:

Mark Ridgers, Jason Naismith, Sean Kelly, Stevie Mallan, Lewis Morgan, Lewis McLear, Barry Cuddihy, Jim Goodwin, Jordan Stewart.

With the exception of Jim Goodwin, Murray inherited a squad where most of the players were either making the step up from U20 football (Morgan, McLear, Cuddihy, Stewart) or only had 1 or 2 seasons first team experience (Naismith, Kelly, Mallan, Ridgers). He decided to fill his squad mostly with other players also making the step up from U20 football and all that happened was it took 2-6 games to realise that in most cases Conlan, Howieson, McMullan, McGraith were not good enough to cut in the Scottish Championship. His choice of senior players to sign were woeful: Thompson at 36 was finished due to injury, Gow hardly enjoyed the reputation of being a dependable stalwart either.

Before the season started he only signed 2 experienced players to add to those mentioned and both of them were gambles (Agnew making the transition to full time football at the age of 28, and Carswell).

Murray's only decent signings were Keith Watson (only signed after Jason Naismith's injury) and Shankland (who Murray refused to use a starting XI player).

I'm not sure how you managed to interpret what I said as support for Ian Murray's time in charge. He left a dreadful squad. Rae took that dreadful squad, and somehow managed to make it even worse.

The players I mentioned - Goodwin, Agnew, Kelly, Carswell, Howieson - were all told to collect their boots. Every single one of them would have improved our squad this season. Rae got rid of 4 players who could play centre mid, during in the close season, and signed one - who happened to be worse than any he'd let go. One of our centre mids then gets injured. He also seemed completely adverse to giving any of the young boys a chance in midfield.

I'm not defending Murray, and I even said previously that I thought Rae only getting 6 games seemed pretty harsh. My comments were in reply to someone saying that Rae would have got more out the current squad than Ross is getting. I don't believe that for one minute.

Edited by houston_bud

31 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

The players I mentioned - Goodwin, Agnew, Kelly, Carswell, Howieson - were all told to collect their boots. Every single one of them would have improved our squad this season. Rae got rid of 4 players who could play centre mid, during in the close season, and signed one - who happened to be worse than any he'd let go. One of our centre mids then gets injured. He also seemed completely adverse to giving any of the young boys a chance in midfield.

I can't agree with that. Agnew and Carswell were absolutely awful. They could well make the top XI worst Saints players I have ever seen. They found their correct levels sitting on the bench at Stranraer and the Icelandic 2nd Division playing in front of 150 folk.

Howieson did absolutely nothing for us bar one goal in a defeat at Ibrox. He may well turn out to be decent, a bit like Mooy. But he looked fat and uninterested in his time with us, a bit like Mooy!

Kelly (to a certain extent) I agree with you, though he was a liability in defence at times. Letting Goodwin leave was a terrible mistake and has hit us hard.

Rae signed two midfielders in the summer, not one, Quinn and Hutton. I think most of us thought they were good signings at the time.

19 minutes ago, ScotstounSaint said:

I can't agree with that. Agnew and Carswell were absolutely awful. They could well make the top XI worst Saints players I have ever seen. They found their correct levels sitting on the bench at Stranraer and the Icelandic 2nd Division playing in front of 150 folk.

Howieson did absolutely nothing for us bar one goal in a defeat at Ibrox. He may well turn out to be decent, a bit like Mooy. But he looked fat and uninterested in his time with us, a bit like Mooy!

Kelly (to a certain extent) I agree with you, though he was a liability in defence at times. Letting Goodwin leave was a terrible mistake and has hit us hard.

Rae signed two midfielders in the summer, not one, Quinn and Hutton. I think most of us thought they were good signings at the time.

Not to split hairs, but Agnew starts for Stranraer pretty much every week. Admittedly they are having a poor season. I have no idea about Carswell.

Quinn came in in January, and was known to have injury problems. So Rae, after losing 4 centre mids in the summer, brought in one.

Edited by houston_bud

Agnew has started 11 games and been on the bench in the other 8. Ok, so maybe not on the bench every week, but he's been there quite a bit :)

Carswell signed for Keflavik, they literally play in front of 150 fans.

Quinn was out of contract in the summer and Rae offered him a deal which he accepted. Same with Clarkson. That's a signing in my opinion.

Rae actually let 5 central midfielders leave in the summer. Agnew, Goodwin, Gow, Carswell and Howieson. I think most of us thought at least 4 of them needed to leave.

Just now, houston_bud said:

Not to split hairs, but Agnew starts for Stranraer every week. Admittedly they are having a poor season. I have no idea about Carswell.

Quinn came in in January, and was known to have injury problems. So Rae, after losing 4 centre mids in the summer, brought in one.

1 thing for sure is this team of ours has no leader. At the sending off the Morton captain got all his players round him and I am sure he was giving them plenty of encouragement. Somehow I don't ever see Webster doing something like that, in fact I wonder if he even know his team mates names :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Eaglesham saint said:

Imagine what this forum would be like if the game had been the other way round.

Say we had scored with seconds remaining ????

We would have been delighted. We would have snatched a point with 10 men, at the home of our local rivals. We would have done it with 90+3 minutes on the clock. It would see Morton, rooted to the bottom of the league, spunk away two valuable points. We could have laughed and pointed from a position of third in the table going into the game with 27 points. We could have pissed ourselves laughing at Jim Duffy's inept substitutions and how Morton never finished us off when blood could be smelled in the Greenock air.

Oh sorry, simply the match result itself the other way around. Just read the first three sentences then.

Edited by pozbaird

4 hours ago, Eaglesham saint said:

Imagine what this forum would be like if the game had been the other way round.

Say we had scored with seconds remaining ????

Assuming you just mean the order of the goals?

Then we would still have dropped 2 points at home to 10 men for the second home game in a row, we would also still be rooted at the bottom of the league with a goal difference that is as good as another point away from the closest sides. 

The fact we lost the late goal to Morton is meaningless right now, all that matters is in our last 2 home games we pissed away 4 valuable points to make staying up even harder. 

21 hours ago, scottd said:

If you look at our relegation in 2014-15 followed by successive failures to promote to the top league then we have lost squillions of potential income.  Of course we had that in income for many years in the top league and pissed it up against the wall.  Relegation to League 1 will be very harmful but not to extent it would have been back in 1998 when we were around £2,000,000 in debt.

Scott, do you think the club isnt in debt now? 

15 hours ago, houston_bud said:

I'm not sure how you managed to interpret what I said as support for Ian Murray's time in charge. He left a dreadful squad. Rae took that dreadful squad, and somehow managed to make it even worse.

I'm not defending Murray, and I even said previously that I thought Rae only getting 6 games seemed pretty harsh. My comments were in reply to someone saying that Rae would have got more out the current squad than Ross is getting. I don't believe that for one minute.

Rae play McAllister last season, aged 16, before he was out injured for a few months (which explains why Rae didn't field him this season). He also played Morgan last season and this season and played Mallan both seasons. How many young midfielders would you like him to play?

The only highlights I found where a Morton friendly one from behind the St Mirren goals in both halves. If we had a man on both posts when defending corners we would have won 1-0. Terrible punch by Gallacher, I was being generous earlier when I said the two-fisted punch went as far as 5 yards.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

11 hours ago, Dibbles old paperboy said:

The only highlights I found where a Morton friendly one from behind the St Mirren goals in both halves. If we had a man on both posts when defending corners we would have won 1-0. Terrible punch by Gallacher, I was being generous earlier when I said the two-fisted punch went as far as 5 yards.

He put Webster off

Going by those clips he is dreadful on cross balls

Very weak and easily bullied

Twice he punched the ball into the middle of the 6 yard box

One we got away with and the other we didn't

I hope Langfield see this and has been working on this

He put Webster off
Going by those clips he is dreadful on cross balls
Very weak and easily bullied
Twice he punched the ball into the middle of the 6 yard box
One we got away with and the other we didn't
I hope Langfield see this and has been working on this

Absolutely amazed that he punched the first one, so much room around him.

Really bad twice punching down the way
No chance of getting height or distance

Only defence on the 2nd one is that he's coming through players and a decent punch to the side isn't a disaster. The first one looks like an early decision to punch, but even then there's time to react and catch. The first is almost a warm up/training one where you have a lazy punch and set for the next cross whilst the coach goes through you for the punch.