Cut Jack some Slack

13 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Yeah - but the point I was making, although not very clearly, is that these "young" kids that people want to protect may well be carrying egos the size of their Dads house and the last thing they need is people telling them how wonderful they are when clearly they haven't. I don't know about you but I don't know any of these delicate wee flowers, but I've got to be consistent. If the manager thinks they are good enough to play, then surely they are big enough to have their performance reviewed honestly.  

Absolutely Stuart - but in private.Some may need a bawling out by the manager but in private but I think that approach works less well these days with most.people.

Don't get me wrong. I am talking fans reaction to players rather than the manager.

Once picked and on the fied they are our players and deserve support.

As I said when I started the thread, the fans were terrific on saturday but one player seemed  to be in the wrong with everything he did.,

Jack Baird, was given the boo treatment whenever he cleared the ball.by a small but noisy group and his body language showed very clearly that this got to him.

I just don't think that helps.

Edited by St.Ricky

12 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Maybe so... But where was the "personal" abuse?

Buddie  - i have ammended my original post as, on reflection, I see your point regarding this thread. So - thanks for the heads up.

I guess that I was referring to the reaction of some posters on other threads - not necessarily aimed at me,

20 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Come on guys.

Address the issue - take a different view - of course that is only fair.

Oh really

How many on here cut IM slack?  He had a far better record

JR is the appointed manager of the club, a club that had relative success for years................He has lost his first 6 League games.........  

I support Saints but I am getting really fed  up by fellow supporters telling me to support the team.......

Thanks I do. Don't insult players, don't shout for managers heads, but JR is clearly out of his depth 

22 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Come on guys.

Address the issue - take a different view - of course that is only fair.

You might get more success if you stopped trying to control the conversation on every thread you post in.

People dont tend to like that.

Just some advice.

Were you a manager or a businessman in your career BTW?

Edited by oaksoft

The frustration of fans is totally understandable. We have had 4 or is it 5 managers in a row (I've lost count ffs) , none of whom had a new manager bounce. Dire situation that few if any, could have predicted 3 years ago.

I and others cautioned "be careful what you wish for" when many fans turned on Danny Lennon, claiming tgat he had taken us as far as he could but wasn't good enough to take us to the next level!

I think that counts as a prediction that was totally ignored and rounded upon at the time!

Oh for those bad old days and lack of ability at a much higher level!

3 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Oh really

JR is the appointed manager of the club, a club that had relative success for years................He has lost his first 6 League games.........  

I support Saints but I am getting really fed  up by fellow supporters telling me to support the team.......

Thanks I do. Don't insult players, don't shout for managers heads, but JR is clearly out of his depth 

I don't think it's clear Jack is out of his depth. He's had a bad start but that has happened with other managers and they eventually turn it round because their BOD have shown some patience. i think this will happen with Jack Ross but time will tell.

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

You are welcome to your view Oaksoft

I see you have elected to move from patronising to passive aggressive. That will win people over.

Is it your intention to adopt every control trick from the book of middle management?

Edited by oaksoft

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

I see you have elected to move from patronising to passive aggressive. That will win people over.

Is it your intention to adopt every control trick from the book of middle management?

Dear Me Mr Oaksoft.

You do take the huff easily.

My intention is to be me,

Analyse away.

One question - Why would I want to win people over?

33 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Dear Me Mr Oaksoft.

Analyse away.

He said the same thing to me last week. Apparently I was being ignored - even though he came back from nowhere to respond to several of my posts. 

I think maybe his psychiatrist has made a suggestion to him that if he wants to make any friends at all he's going to have to win people over. And Oaksoft in his usual delusional state has decided to take that advice and offer it to everyone he wants to make friends with. :rolleyes: 

40 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Dear Me Mr Oaksoft.

Analyse away.

Analyse away?

I think you like to control things around you, including people.

There is your starter for ten.

Edited by oaksoft

It's way to early to decide the manager is out of his depth etc. The transfer window will be used to measure how good a manager he is. We need to move on the players not up for the fight. I believe that he will get it right long term even if we do go down but he needs time to see if he can do it short term as well. 

On 4 December 2016 at 6:55 PM, St.Ricky said:

I also think he acted stupidly - like a spoiled child, taking his frustration out on Miller - who was no saint in the incident either.

In this I agree with you 100%

I differ however in how he was treated by our own fans during the game before the incident took place.

You could see his rising frustration. 

I don't think Rae should have been sacked at least not based on results so you have me wrong there.

At present Jack Baird seems to have fallen to 3rd choice in the centre of our defence.

Both McKenzie and Gordon seem to be ahead of him and on current form, I woudn't disagree.

Only Webster seems to be behind him at present.

Who would you have played alongside McKenzie if neither Gordon or Webster was available other than Jack Baird?

As long as the players is picked to play, the best I can do is to get behind them on the park.

Once again - he was stupid.

well put and you deserve a sensible answer . I bet Jack Ross is now considering putting Jason Naismith into the centre of the defence . He seems capable of just DEFENDING in there he's made some good " contact " with strikers who are just about to " pull the trigger " I also think he's lost a bit of sharpness to get up and down after his injury . Also Langfield should not be let off the hook I'd play him and find a place for Webster we need experience at the back . McKenzie I like but no giving opponents a chance like he done when he gave away the 2 nd goal v dundee Utd . Just defend do your job and score from a corner please . Some people think I was an Alex Rae fan just rubbish . Ross has us playing better but we need to be smart and just win 2 in a row and we will come good . Rae would have not got us relegated for sure . As for Baird on Saturday I'm thinking he's doing well and lucky as you say to get a start as he's now a fringe player . Then he does that ! Just not on . We looked more likely to score than Falkirk did at that point so could have went 2 0 up . As for fans giving him pelters I was not aware of it and I agree we MUST all get behind every player but there has to be certain responsibilities when you are a player . The Chairman got the timing of sacking Rae very badly wrong and so Girdon Scitt must take the blame for our position NOT JACK ROSS . We need a bit of fresh air Scott should do the correct thing and resign now as he will blame Jack soon . Good news ! I firmly believe when we get our first win we will get 2 in a row then we are back in it . Probably stay up via a play off but I'd grab a play off place right now . Jack Baird : needs a lot of work done both In terms of 1 and 1 coaching and a good experienced mentor 

On 4 December 2016 at 6:54 PM, Port Saint said:

Really? How come he couldn't sort HIS team out when he was here then?

He didn't get the credit he deserved for keeping us up last year . Expectations were far too high . I'm not supporting Alex Rae but looking back he done a great job last year . Scott should have waited until end of season and sacked him by all means . We would have been in the same division . You sound like my mates very very high expectations . One of them wanted Lennon out after he won the cup !!! Mental . The behind the scenes must be a complete shambles and it all comes from there . Scott must surely be thinking of going and I bet he regrets sacking Alex Rae very poor decision AT THE TIME .

32 minutes ago, Loyal Supporter said:

well put and you deserve a sensible answer . I bet Jack Ross is now considering putting Jason Naismith into the centre of the defence . He seems capable of just DEFENDING in there he's made some good " contact " with strikers who are just about to " pull the trigger " I also think he's lost a bit of sharpness to get up and down after his injury . Also Langfield should not be let off the hook I'd play him and find a place for Webster we need experience at the back . McKenzie I like but no giving opponents a chance like he done when he gave away the 2 nd goal v dundee Utd . Just defend do your job and score from a corner please . Some people think I was an Alex Rae fan just rubbish . Ross has us playing better but we need to be smart and just win 2 in a row and we will come good . Rae would have not got us relegated for sure . As for Baird on Saturday I'm thinking he's doing well and lucky as you say to get a start as he's now a fringe player . Then he does that ! Just not on . We looked more likely to score than Falkirk did at that point so could have went 2 0 up . As for fans giving him pelters I was not aware of it and I agree we MUST all get behind every player but there has to be certain responsibilities when you are a player . The Chairman got the timing of sacking Rae very badly wrong and so Girdon Scitt must take the blame for our position NOT JACK ROSS . We need a bit of fresh air Scott should do the correct thing and resign now as he will blame Jack soon . Good news ! I firmly believe when we get our first win we will get 2 in a row then we are back in it . Probably stay up via a play off but I'd grab a play off place right now . Jack Baird : needs a lot of work done both In terms of 1 and 1 coaching and a good experienced mentor 

Why didn't you give him one ? :rolleyes:

55 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Analyse away?

I think you like to control things around you, including people.

There is your starter for ten.

I didn't say I would reply Mr Oaksoft - After this I won't.

You don't know me - O don't know you.

No loss either way it seems.

1 hour ago, Loyal Supporter said:

He didn't get the credit he deserved for keeping us up last year . Expectations were far too high . I'm not supporting Alex Rae but looking back he done a great job last year . Scott should have waited until end of season and sacked him by all means . We would have been in the same division . You sound like my mates very very high expectations . One of them wanted Lennon out after he won the cup !!! Mental . The behind the scenes must be a complete shambles and it all comes from there . Scott must surely be thinking of going and I bet he regrets sacking Alex Rae very poor decision AT THE TIME .

Do you know who didn't get enough credit for keeping St Mirren up last season? Jack Ross. Not only did Alloa finish bottom of the league ensuring no-one else had to worry about automatic relegation, he also dropped 9 points out of a possible 9 to St Mirren giving Alex Rae 3 of his 7 wins last season. 

Well done Jack Ross. 

2 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

I didn't say I would reply Mr Oaksoft - After this I won't.

You don't know me - O don't know you.

No loss either way it seems.

No I would agree with that last sentence.

I have never liked controlling people and I can smell them a mile away.

Its the passive aggressive bit that gets me more than anything else.

Your posts absolutely reek of it.

Its a bad match for me.

No loss bud.

6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

No I would agree with that last sentence.

I have never liked controlling people and I can smell them a mile away.

Its the passive aggressive bit that gets me more than anything else.

Your posts absolutely reek of it.

Its a bad match for me.

No loss bud.

Oaksoft

I promise never to attempt to analyse you, or to call you names, or insult your intelligence,or supposed background, or try to win you over (or anyone else for that matter.)

What I will do, is keep posting my own opinions, in my own way and be more than happy that other people take the time to comment - whatever their views - or not - it's their choice.

Thanks for the exchange of "pleasantries". Over and out.

I have been vocal on why i thought even before his appointment that Ross wasnt the right manager to bring in after only six games and a sacking. I based that on the fact he had only a few months as a manager, in which time he got his side relegated out of this league.

then for reasons best known to the board they sack the manager who helped take maximum points from Ross last season to keep us safe, only to replace him with the guy whose team lost to us three times and got relegated.

now if you believe Ross is the right man. Please explain to me why? What do you base your opinion on? His experience, his record, his sides games against us?

i think the board have not only put us in real and present danger of being relegated, but shown a degree of naivety in their determination to appoint their own man at all costs! The sackings cost us, the league form is costing us at the gate, and relegation will cripple the club as is.

we needed to either stick with Rae till the end of the year, or if sacking him pick someone BETTER and appoint a manager with experience of getting his teams to fight out of the position we are in. Unfortunately our new board have put us in this position when they really did not have to. Now how do they plan to get us out of it? 

9 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

I have been vocal on why i thought even before his appointment that Ross wasnt the right manager to bring in after only six games and a sacking. I based that on the fact he had only a few months as a manager, in which time he got his side relegated out of this league.

then for reasons best known to the board they sack the manager who helped take maximum points from Ross last season to keep us safe, only to replace him with the guy whose team lost to us three times and got relegated.

now if you believe Ross is the right man. Please explain to me why? What do you base your opinion on? His experience, his record, his sides games against us?

i think the board have not only put us in real and present danger of being relegated, but shown a degree of naivety in their determination to appoint their own man at all costs! The sackings cost us, the league form is costing us at the gate, and relegation will cripple the club as is.

we needed to either stick with Rae till the end of the year, or if sacking him pick someone BETTER and appoint a manager with experience of getting his teams to fight out of the position we are in. Unfortunately our new board have put us in this position when they really did not have to. Now how do they plan to get us out of it? 

Mistakes were made, no doubt about that - award yourself 10 points for being the first to recognize them! :happyclapper

We are where we are now, Ross may or may not turn out to be the right man but sacking him now is the wrong decision. No-one is gonna turn up at GHR with a suitcase of readies to fund a pay-off so IMO the best option is to sit tight and cross our fingers.

21 hours ago, DougJamie said:

Oh really

As each managerial mistake has happened, and we're left with another batch of players the new manager doesn't want, it's understandable that fans will become less and less patient, thinking this guy is just like the others. In reality, all managers are their own men. All  have different ways of playing, different ways of managing, different contacts.

I was behind Murray all the way until it became untenable. I wasn't for the Rae appointment, but he rallied us and kept us up. I think looking back, that was more a motivational job than anything else, and once his own brand of football was implemented it became clear why he hadn't been a manager in his own right for so long.

Right now I'm looking for positives, and I see positives in the way we've played. I will get the comments that the results have been shocking, and can't argue with that, but the performances have been better in my opinion. We've lost points to individual mistakes on several occasions, beyond the control of the manager, with Baird's red card the latest. No hard luck stories, but the fact that these things have cost us in tight games.

The basic aim remains the same for me - win the next game. If we can win tonight, a monkey is off our back, a huge boost for the players, the fans and the management. We then have two home games, and maybe a wee chance of grabbing another. The important thing is the first win though. The sooner we get that, the better the chance we have of staying up.

Whoever the manager is, we need to get behind him. Moaning achieves nothing.