Buy the buddies funds paid early

We currently have 1325 paying members for buy the buddies.  By my calculations of £10 a month going to the £1 million buy out if we assume everyone is on £12 a month and no one took the £2,500 packages (which of course isn't true I believe 14% of people are on the £25 package and the £2,500 packages got sold out.  I'm just looking at minimum circumstance) the loan would be paid off in just under six years and three months.  Taking into account the bigger packages looking at it being easily paid off in under six years. 

My point is would current paying members be willing to continue their commitment for the full ten years even after the loan is paid off.  Instead of £2 a month going into a discretionary fund we would have £12/25 X 1300 odd.  Would be a great added bonus for the club to grow.  For myself personally I'd be happy to leave it open ended beyond the 10 years.  

Echo what other people have said as well in regards to income, would be good to get a few extra fans down on a Saturday.  If we get an extra 200/300 a week that's easily a player on the books which is badly needed sooner than later.  Hope everyone is encouraging their absent buddies down for a massive game Saturday. COYS

I now consider my £12 a month as a mandatory insurance policy, much like numerous other things I routinely shell out for by direct debit. It gets deducted, and I don't give it too much thought.

In terms of this payment, though, its insurance for SMFC, so I don't grudge a ha'penny. As such, I'm happy to leave the payment live for as long as I can afford it - fingers crossed, that will be for 10 years and beyond.

So, aye, I'm in.

good times, would be great to see the numbers slowly go up. 1500 X £12 a month £18,000 to be spent on the buddies every month that hasn't been budgeted for, great times.  Think it's a good way for fans to contribute that maybe can't make all the games or afford the £20+ per home game ticket. 

Spoiler

I agree and I'm sure a lot of fans wouldn't continue it but we have fans that can't make games on Saturday or live in other parts of the world.  If it was open ended it gives a steady way for them to make a contribution if they chose to do so.  No ones holding anyone to ransom over the direct debit. 

I'd haven't decided to keep my £24 per month running to the end of the year never mind indefinitely.

I review my finances on a regular basis and there's rules I follow. For an unnecessary expense like this one I'd need to know that the money I'm spending makes me feel good. If it doesn't I'll stop, if it does I'll continue, it's as simple as that.

5 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

I'd haven't decided to keep my £24 per month running to the end of the year never mind indefinitely.

I review my finances on a regular basis and there's rules I follow. For an unnecessary expense like this one I'd need to know that the money I'm spending makes me feel good. If it doesn't I'll stop, if it does I'll continue, it's as simple as that.

In that case I am extremely surprised that you ever considered contributing, since you rarely, if ever, have a good word for St Mirren.

29 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Exactly my thinking. 

I feel absolutely dreadful at the thought  of spending money. 

10 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Thanks Lord , are you sure SMISA own as much as 29%

I actually thought that SMISA had less than half of that , and was going to review my direct debit when we passed the 25% threshold

The initial loan was to purchase the shares to take SMISA to 29%. That will get paid off around 3 years, likely less than that with numbers being higher than the 1000. Once the loan is clear we then move onto purchasing the GLS shares, but I'm not sure of the mechanics and timing of that. Like many the key part is to get SMISA over the 25% threshold asap with no loans associated to it.

Spoiler

I think it's fair to say we won't maintain 1300+ membership numbers if other members have this thought process.  To me I'm committing to 10 years in the best interest of my club and I'm happy to stick with that. Cancelling past a certain threshold or talking about reviewing after five/ six payments... Well that fills me with dread! 

I agree and I'm sure a lot of fans wouldn't continue it but we have fans that can't make games on Saturday or live in other parts of the world.  If it was open ended it gives a steady way for them to make a contribution if they chose to do so.  No ones holding anyone to ransom over the direct debit. 

I think it's fair to say we won't maintain 1300+ membership numbers if other members have this thought process.  To me I'm committing to 10 years in the best interest of my club and I'm happy to stick with that. Cancelling past a certain threshold or talking about reviewing after five/ six payments... Well that fills me with dread! 

3 hours ago, bazil85 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

This is the case for me. When living in Scotland I would be shelling out a lot more than 12 quid a month to go to the games so now that I am out the country I consider myself to be quids in when I combine my monthly BuyTheBuds subscription and St Mirren TV  payments. I would probably be happy to continue letting it tick over if my circumstances don't dramatically change. 

4 hours ago, bazil85 said:

I don't know why you would dread it. It's pretty simple. When SMiSA first started I was one of the first people to sign up. I can't remember what number I was but it was in single digits. The promise back then, and the mantra for all Independent Supporter Associations was that their purpose was to buy shares in the football club, to get a director onto the board of directors at the club and to give the supporters a voice in that boardroom. It started well, but after a period of time SMiSA found purchasing shares to be difficult and whilst sitting on a pot of money they were approached by the last board of directors to help out the club by buying t-shirts (those red cotton ones with SMISA written on it) and towels. The membership had a vote and bizarrely the majority decided it was a good idea and the cash got wasted. It struck me that the movement had drifted from their original goal and members were being taken for mugs and since I have a choice I chose to cancel my membership. 

I rejoined again in the build up to this Buy The Buds programme. I'm a big fan of fan ownership and I've contributed and still contribute to a number of similar programmes elsewhere. I went for the £24 per month fee despite not being attracted by any of the "privileges" and I pledged that I would auction any that I got for charity, as I tried to do with the Millennium night. Now as I understood the offer it was that SMiSA would be partnering with Gordon Scott to purchase the club, Gordon Scott putting up the majority of funding and holding the chairman post as a result and over a number of years SMiSA would purchase that shareholding from Gordon Scott. At the same time there was to be a members pot which would be there to be spent as directed by the majority of members. There is a big promise on the front page of the SMiSA website which attracts me. "St Mirren fans have a one off chance to make sure the club remains at the heart of the Paisley community and in the hands of the people who care the most for it." So I'd expect SMiSA to ensure as part of the membership offer that projects are undertaken that involve and benefit the whole community, not just the football club. 

The thought that I am helping to put the club into fan ownership makes me happy. The thought that some of the money will go to re-establishing good links with the community and putting the club back at the heart of the town really appeals to me. However if I believe that SMISA and the membership have lost sight of that then as before I should stop chucking money at it and contribute funds elsewhere. 

I'm sure if SMiSA continues to remain focused on it's aims most of the membership will stick. Indeed if attention is put towards working with the community and getting the brand back out there with some really positive stories, I'm sure membership might even grow. Similarly I'm sure if the St Mirren board see that membership fund as a place to turn to get repairs done to the under soil heating, or to renew the 3g pitch at Ralston without it being in the form of a loan or in return for shares, I'm certain that others - like me - will see that as a loss of focus on the goals of the organisation. 

Offering to write cheques for either SMiSA or the club indefinitely and without condition simply doesn't appeal to me. 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Sums things up for me Stuart.

Joined SMISA originally, then subs was reduced to a peppercorn subscription (£2 per month I think it was) around the time I moved to Saudi so I stopped as I thought then "they won't miss my £2". There is a bit more riding on it now so I am in it for the long haul but I want to see the fans money used wisely within the directive of purchasing shares & ultimately, The Club and not squandered paying maintenance bills or other costs that The Football Club should be budgeting for.

Engaging with the local community is vitally important for the longevity of both Buy the Buds and St Mirren Football Club. Like the Hibs Foundation initiative, not only would I like to see St Mirren engage in projects like this but at the forefront of new initiatives too.

1 hour ago, Kombibuddie said:

. Like the Hibs Foundation initiative, not only would I like to see St Mirren engage in projects like this but at the forefront of new initiatives too.

Maybe we will if we get ourselves out of our current crises both on and off the pitch.

Far more important at the moment to stabilise our finances and get the team into a position where we stay in the championship.

To compare us with Hibs at the moment is pretty unfair.

Edited by FTOF

Maybe we will if we get ourselves out of our current crises both on and off the pitch.

Far more important at the moment to stabilise our finances and get the team into a position where we stay in the championship.

To compare us with Hibs at the moment is pretty unfair.

I disagree but I would wouldn't I?

Take that Hibs Foundation story. I can guarantee that not one penny will come out of club funds. Local suppliers have agreed to donate, fans and employees are fundraising, and some staff at the club have agreed to take some time out to help out along with a group of volunteers.

Look at the dementia initiative at Motherwell I linked to. Motherwell....and St Mirren, among others were given a grant to run some dementia help groups. St Mirren did actually run groups where some people with dementia played football in the dome over a number of months. What Motherwell have done that is different is theyve got involved with two local schools and pupils are now taking part in the programme to create memory books. They took the grant funding and created something more sustainable.

Look at initiatives like the Food Bank one that the Fans Council ran. Volunteers collected donations from fans and sent them over to the local food banks. I remember St Mirren collecting Easter Eggs for kids at the RAH under similar circumstances in the past too. The last time I remember was when St Mirren were still at Love Street.

None of those projects have affected the clubs concerned in a negative way at all. Instead it's provided much needed good PR, PR that can have an impact when it comes to local sponsorship and businesses who want to be linked with a socially conscious football club.