Seat plaque removal-why

Of all the issues we have at the club at the moment, this seems a bit of a bizarre announcement.

Maybe it's just me, but I've never looked round the stadium and thought 'these plaques are making the stadium look a bit messy'.

I'm aware of the seat cleaning work being undertaken at the moment, but are the 'SMISA cleaning team' really requesting this? It just seems a strange suggestion to make when the club won't gain from it any way (other than the ground looking tidier - modern football FFS!!), and it pisses off a supporter like Buddiecat.

What plaques? :huh:

I have a season ticket in the main stand and can't think what plagues this refers to, is it just the west stand?

No. A few years ago as part of the season ticket offer fans were able to put a small plastic plaque on their seat for £15. It's a St Mirren strip with their name on it. The problem seems to be that as usual the club were extremely vague about whether this was a reservation sticker or, like other clubs have done, a permanent naming of a seat.

1 minute ago, Stuart Dickson said:

No. A few years ago as part of the season ticket offer fans were able to put a small plastic plaque on their seat for £15. It's a St Mirren strip with their name on it. The problem seems to be that as usual the club were extremely vague about whether this was a reservation sticker or, like other clubs have done, a permanent naming of a seat.

Everyone sitting around me must be cheapskates I have never noticed any of these plagues :lol: 

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Genuine question : What do we do with the advertising boards around the Stadium once a company decides not to renew , do we remove the boards or just leave it in place ?

I'd say they just remain.

my company still has an advertising board there, and at many Scottish grounds, despite the agreement with the SPFL coming to an end last season! It's also for a product we've pretty much delisted...

11 hours ago, buddiecat said:

I noticed on the official site that the club are going to remove the plaque i paid for in 2013 from my seat.Now i know the plaque is fading and worn.What i don't have any recollection of is the statement "these were only meant to be for one season" nobody told me that when i bought one.Why after one of the most memorable nights in recent years have you decided to piss me off.I was on a high,now you've just ruined it.

11 hours ago, buddiecat said:

I will add to my previous post.If the club remove my plaque,i will not be purchasing a season ticket again.Absolutely unbelievable decision,what harm are the plaques causing.

This seems like a huge over-reaction though, so basically you paid £15 for a plague, you got 3 years out of it rather than the year it was supposed to be, and you are annoyed that the club now want to remove the plagues that you admit are faded and worn. Seems like a reasonable decision to remove them since they are on a drive to clean up the stadium. What did you expect for £15, the plague to remain forever even when people have moved seats and the thing is completely faded?

The original article from the clubs official site at the time the Plaques were available to purchase;

St Mirren Season Ticket’s on sale Today

Season Tickets for Season 2013-2014 are now on sale, (Thursday 9th May) from 10am at both the St Mirren Ticket Office and www.smfctickets.co.uk.

This year we want to encourage new St Mirren fans of all ages to become season ticket holders as we try and build on this season’s Scottish Communities League Cup success.

Not only have we reduced prices for Adult and Concession Season Tickets for the new season but we have also continued our FREE Child 12 & Under season ticket offer to every paying Adult and Concession Season Ticket.

2c9655ceb8ae11e2a73112313b025831.jpg

Adults or Concessions Season Tickets in the Reid Kerr College Family (South) Stand can get up to 3 FREE Child (12 & Under) Season Tickets and in the West and Main Stands every paying Adult or Concession Season Ticket can get 1 FREE Child (12 & Under) season ticket.

This offer is available only until 30th June 2013 within the West and Main Stands.

Last season we encouraged many new young supporters through this offer as well as the discounted Family Season Ticket (2 Adults + up to 3 children) and by continuing this for the new season we hope this trend continues and we can build our young fanbase for the future.

This season the season ticket works out for an average Adult as £15 per game (based on 19 home SPL games), saving up to £100, so supporters could potentially miss 5 SPL matches and be no worse off!

The season ticket also guarantees your seat throughout the season and also first opportunity to reserve your seat for Cup matches.

This season we are also offering a unique opportunity to personalise your seat at St Mirren Park with a plaque with your name and seat number on it (your name also appears on the back of a St Mirren top within the plaque) for a cost of £15 per plaque. This can be ordered either at the Ticket Office or online at www.smfctickets.co.uk  simply by selecting to buy a season ticket with plaque, this will automatically add £15 to your transaction.

Guess it's open to debate as to whether that means for one season or not. Certainly not explicit.

What I would have done personally is to offer to replace the old plaques with more permanent ones, for a fee, and for those that didn't take up the offer the old plaques could then have been removed.

Just now, irvine_buddie said:

This seems like a huge over-reaction though, so basically you paid £15 for a plague, you got 3 years out of it rather than the year it was supposed to be, and you are annoyed that the club now want to remove the plagues that you admit are faded and worn. Seems like a reasonable decision to remove them since they are on a drive to clean up the stadium. What did you expect for £15, the plague to remain forever even when people have moved seats and the thing is completely faded?

I think the club should do all it can to remove Plagues. :unsure:

2 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Genuine question : What do we do with the advertising boards around the Stadium once a company decides not to renew , do we remove the boards or just leave it in place ?

When Thomsons cycle shop went bust their advert remained up for a while, despite being in a prominent position and having Paisley spelt incorrectly on it. I think we did cover over an advert board somewhere else from a different company, presumably for non-payment.

There's probably more important things for the board to be worrying about, however at the same time threatening to no longer buy a season ticket because a plaque you paid for three years ago is going to be removed is one of the most impressive over-reactions I can remember seeing on here.

The plaques used to be sold/renewed every year. Wouldn't be surprised if the old ones are being removed so they can start selling them again next season. Would imagine a fair few are on seats where the person who bought the plaque no longer sits.

Edited by Stu

5 minutes ago, Stu said:

When Dooley's cycle shop went bust their advert remained up for a while, despite being in a prominent position and having Paisley spelt incorrectly on it. I think we did cover over an advert board somewhere else from a different company, presumably for non-payment.

There's probably more important things for the board to be worrying about, however at the same time threatening to no longer buy a season ticket because a plaque you paid for three years ago is going to be removed is one of the most impressive over-reactions I can remember seeing on here.

The plaques used to be sold/renewed every year. Wouldn't be surprised if the old ones are being removed so they can start selling them again next season. Would imagine a fair few are on seats where the person who bought the plaque no longer sits.

Over-reaction,yes it is.The lack of reasonable communication from whoever made the decision is what is wrong here.Don't just put out a statement telling folk your doing something that affects them,even in a small way.Consult first then make a decision.

17 minutes ago, zurich_allan said:

Damn. I was hoping that when I die, rather than a traditional burial my corpse could be positioned on my seat with the plaque still in place. Cheaper than a headstone...

Attention all St Mirren fans! Lost a loved one this season? Die-hard with a season ticket and a seat plaque? St Mirren FC are launching a new service just for you! Forego traditional cremation or burial... For only £199.99 we will prop your loved one up in their beloved seat, and affix them firmly to it by nailing their season ticket through their left leg, and seat-back plaque through their right leg. Safe, secure, and valid for all Petrofac Bells B&Q Ramsdens Challenge Diddy Cup games!

After the ceremonial nailing to the seat - why not have the purvey in the corporate suite! Wave across to your loved one in the West Stand as you toast their life with sausage rolls and a range of tasty vol-au-vents! See Campbell Kennedy for details. (Enter through the exclusive main stand door).

Take advantage of this offer before Christmas and we will apply a discount of £20 per deceased! It's a 'nailed-on' price guarantee!

*Terms and conditions apply. St Mirren reserve the right to move your loved one to a seat in the Main Stand should we ever draw the Old Firm at home in a cup, or if your loved one becomes a bit whiffy.

13 minutes ago, buddiecat said:

Over-reaction,yes it is.The lack of reasonable communication from whoever made the decision is what is wrong here.Don't just put out a statement telling folk your doing something that affects them,even in a small way.Consult first then make a decision.

Why would they consult with you, you don't get a say in the matter. They communicated through the official website, what do you expect for your £15.. a couple of polis to turn up at the door and break the news to you gently?

6 hours ago, dastardly77 said:

It's obvious that it was the smisa cleaning team that has suggested that the plaques be removed as they are not permanent features. 

It will probably be them who do the removal.

If you want a permanent feature then buy a brick mate.

It was not suggested by the volunteers who are carrying out the cleaning tasks and they will not be removing the plaques.