Bottom at Christmas

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 10:50 PM, ScotstounSaint said:

Updated odds after the weekend games. Do the bookies see the first signs of a Saints revival?!

St Mirren 1/3
Ayr 9/2
Dumbarton 9/2

The bookies like our new signings!! Our odds on finishing bottom have drifted without a game being played...

St Mirren 4/7
Ayr 7/2
Dumbarton 7/2
Raith 16/1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎27‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 8:12 PM, ScotstounSaint said:

The bookies like our new signings!! Our odds on finishing bottom have drifted without a game being played...

St Mirren 4/7
Ayr 7/2
Dumbarton 7/2
Raith 16/1

Updated odds on who will finish bottom. Doesn't make great reading :mellow:

St Mirren 2/9
Ayr 5/1
Raith 10/1
Dumbarton 14/1

On 27/12/2016 at 6:01 AM, ScotstounSaint said:

In the last 20 seasons, the team bottom of the Championship/Division 1 at Xmas has been relegated in 16 of those.

In 2 of the 4 seasons where the bottom team at Xmas survived, those teams had been deducted points and so were in a bit of a false position. In another (2008/09), Airdrie were spared relegation due to Livingston's financial irregularities. So the 1 'standard' time the team bottom at Xmas has survived was 2012/13 when Dumbarton were 7 points behind but had 2 games in hand, they ended the season in 7th.

So, in the last 20 years (and for 'normal' seasons) no one has managed to survive after being 7 or more points behind and with no games in hand at Xmas..........but none of those clubs were the mighty St Mirren :)

Capture.PNG

Looking like the stats are going to be proved right for the 17th season from 21.

Bah, stats. :(

1 minute ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I'm a realist but also an optimist. I don't think clawing back Ayr is impossible but we will need to show some form asap.

Nothing is impossible but there is little to suggest we can put together the sort of form we need as Ayr are not lying down to anyone.

Time will tell. :wink:

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

Nothing is impossible but there is little to suggest we can put together the sort of form we need as Ayr are not lying down to anyone.

Time will tell. :wink:

If we have a really good March i'd say it's very much on, if not we could be even further behind and already doomed. March will be a pivotal month simply because we're now running out of games.

• 3 weeks later...

That Ayr side were terrible yesterday. We were good, but they were woeful. There is absolutely no reason why we can't climb above them. It won't be easy, and we'll need a break in our favour here and there, but it is most certainly achievable.

If we consistently play as we did yesterday, we WILL stay up. Yesterday was the key match of Jack Ross' tenure. He now has a good nucleus of his own players, and they looked like a cohesive unit. They played with passion and grit. We have match winners, and a support that will back them. I don't think that can be said of Ayr. They looked disjointed and out of ideas yesterday, and McCall looked a worried man in his post match interview.

We can do this, folks. We need to stick together, though.

28 minutes ago, Drew said:

That Ayr side were terrible yesterday. We were good, but they were woeful. There is absolutely no reason why we can't climb above them. It won't be easy, and we'll need a break in our favour here and there, but it is most certainly achievable.

If we consistently play as we did yesterday, we WILL stay up. Yesterday was the key match of Jack Ross' tenure. He now has a good nucleus of his own players, and they looked like a cohesive unit. They played with passion and grit. We have match winners, and a support that will back them. I don't think that can be said of Ayr. They looked disjointed and out of ideas yesterday, and McCall looked a worried man in his post match interview.

As I mentioned in another thread the other day. Coming away from Somerset, I wanted us leaving Ayr in no doubt that we were a superior side to them and we certainly did that yesterday.

12 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

As I mentioned in another thread the other day. Coming away from Somerset, I wanted us leaving Ayr in no doubt that we were a superior side to them and we certainly did that yesterday.

Aye, and a quick scan of P&B last night (I'm a fair weather visitor these days) suggested that the Ayr fans wouldn't disagree. I think this is now a real test of their resolve. The momentum has shifted - perhaps just a little, but it has shifted all the same.

Aye, and a quick scan of P&B last night (I'm a fair weather visitor these days) suggested that the Ayr fans wouldn't disagree. I think this is now a real test of their resolve. The momentum has shifted - perhaps just a little, but it has shifted all the same.

I think Ian Mccall's interview shows that he also agrees.

I always think that the other side looking terrible has got more to do with who they are playing against. Ayr drew at Easter Road after leading for a large part of the game then showed real perseverance to snatch a draw at Dumbarton with 10 men. We spanked TNS who were 30 games or similar unbeaten until the game before they played us. That terrible Dundee team we beat scored five in the first half yesterday away from home. Maybe just maybe we have a really good team now. We all hope so.

3 minutes ago, David Mc said:

I always think that the other side looking terrible has got more to do with who they are playing against. Ayr drew at Easter Road after leading for a large part of the game then showed real perseverance to snatch a draw at Dumbarton with 10 men. We spanked TNS who were 30 games or similar unbeaten until the game before they played us. That terrible Dundee team we beat scored five in the first half yesterday away from home. Maybe just maybe we have a really good team now. We all hope so.

One defeat in six kinda suggests that, but I still have a worry it's a case of just a little too late. I hope to be proven wrong in the next few weeks though.

We have 4 games in 10 days.

We've had a few important periods this season but I'd say these 10 days are the most critical so far.

We will be in a better position to say where we will be next season after these fixtures.

Wed 1 Mar 2017 - Scottish Championship

• St Mirren v Hibernian 19:45

Upcoming Fixtures Sun 5 Mar 2017 - Scottish Cup

• Celtic v St Mirren 12:30

Upcoming Fixtures Wed 8 Mar 2017 - Scottish Championship

• Raith Rovers v St Mirren 19:45

Upcoming Fixtures Sat 11 Mar 2017 - Scottish Championship

• St Mirren v Dunfermline Athletic 15:00