Bottom at Christmas

7 minutes ago, ScotstounSaint said:

In the last 20 seasons, the team bottom of the Championship/Division 1 at Xmas has been relegated in 16 of those.

In 2 of the 4 seasons where the bottom team at Xmas survived, those teams had been deducted points and so were in a bit of a false position. In another (2008/09), Airdrie were spared relegation due to Livingston's financial irregularities. So the 1 'standard' time the team bottom at Xmas has survived was 2012/13 when Dumbarton were 7 points behind but had 2 games in hand, they ended the season in 7th.

So, in the last 20 years (and for 'normal' seasons) no one has managed to survive after being 7 or more points behind and with no games in hand at Xmas..........but none of those clubs were the mighty St Mirren :)

Capture.PNG

Don't tell Oaky, he'll explode. :lol:

PS This is a bit depressing. :(

Edited by faraway saint

6 hours ago, ScotstounSaint said:

In the last 20 seasons, the team bottom of the Championship/Division 1 at Xmas has been relegated in 16 of those.

In 2 of the 4 seasons where the bottom team at Xmas survived, those teams had been deducted points and so were in a bit of a false position. In another (2008/09), Airdrie were spared relegation due to Livingston's financial irregularities. So the 1 'standard' time the team bottom at Xmas has survived was 2012/13 when Dumbarton were 7 points behind but had 2 games in hand, they ended the season in 7th.

So, in the last 20 years (and for 'normal' seasons) no one has managed to survive after being 7 or more points behind and with no games in hand at Xmas..........but none of those clubs were the mighty St Mirren :)

Capture.PNG

The season that Dumbarton survived was that the season they appointed Murray and Jack Ross who saved them?

40 minutes ago, the barrhead teacher said:

The stats don't lie in this case. Thankfully football is not all about statistics and we are capable of defying them. But we are under no illusions that it is going to take a mighty change in our fortunes to avoid the drop.

Only an idiot would say we're done for with 18 games still to play but the facts confirm how big a task it will be to survive.

It is possible, but with each passing week the odds, someone explain this to that buffoon Oaky, get worse on us not surviving.

Start this week and things could be brighter, lose and we could become another statistic and that would be a disaster. 

The season that Dumbarton survived was that the season they appointed Murray and Jack Ross who saved them?

Yes, it was. They had won just one game prior to Xmas, but immediately after Xmas they won 6 of the next 8 games.

They actually finished up 9 points clear of the relegation zone. So, although the bottom at Xmas team doesn't often survive, it has been done.

Plus these other teams didn't have talent like Mallan, Magennis, McAllister and Morgan in their squads to get them out of bother.

Personally, I think we'll get out of this.

2 minutes ago, elvis said:

It's not helped so far So not much chance of it helping now the stats above have convinced me that there is no chance of staying up and frankly we don't deserve to we are finally going to find out true level .

Ha ha . You should be happy then . 

I prefer to do what I've always done - support the team , and if worst comes worst and we go down , then so be it . I'll still be there next season hopeful that we can get promotion .

Guest TPAFKATS
It's not helped so far So not much chance of it helping now the stats above have convinced me that there is no chance of staying up and frankly we don't deserve to we are finally going to find out true level .

"It's the most wonderful time of the year"

21 minutes ago, elvis said:

Feck off

True level

3rd tier of Scottish Fitba

You have outed yerself as a fan of another team don't know which and don't care

While I respect everyone is entitled to their opinion to express the exact same opinion 5 times on one thread is overkill. Do you not believe anyone is reading your posts Elivis that you have to constantly repeat yourself? We get it - you think we will get relegated. No need to tell us every 2 minutes.

So, just for balance ...

I do not think we will be relegated.

Now, everyone knows my opinion. 5 times.

Just now, elvis said:

I am 100% convinced we are going down because I don't believe in miracles and that's what it would take for it not to happen now .

36 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

Talk pish

You are the one who is saying St Mirren's true level is the 3rd tier of Scottish Fitba

Which i may add we have never been in before

If we end up there, it will be our true and deserved level. 

And I have watched us in the bottom tier, never mind the second bottom yin. 

9 hours ago, ScotstounSaint said:

Capture.PNG

Good work on the stats ScotstounSaint - shows us the pickle we are in.

I also think - however - that we will get out if it.

Of the 16 relegations - 5 of them were 9th place finishes - which this year would give us a fighting chance in the play-offs

So I would analysis the above data and summarise that in the last 20 years, the team that was bottom at Christmas has been in a position to either survive or potentially survive on 9 occasions.

So we have a 45% chance of making the playoffs at least.

Thats a pass in some University exams :D

Statistics are wonderful things!

Edited by southsidebud

29 minutes ago, elvis said:

I am 100% convinced we are going down because I don't believe in miracles and that's what it would take for it not to happen now .

A miracle? A turnaround of 2 wins and draw is all that we need ( and goal difference) . 

Its hardly unassailable is it ?