The Lawn Tennis Thread

shull

I never understand why people like you are so f**king needy for other people to be constantly around you.
And then to somehow present this as a character strength is truly bizarre.
Where is this pathetic dependency coming from? :blink:
What are you going to be like in your 80's when you are on your own for maybe 10 years or so before you die? [emoji38]
We are all born alone and we all die alone. Everything else is f**king about with the deck chairs. Why are you in denial about this?

My late mother always told me she was definitely there when I was born. And a big fat midwife skelped my arse. Cow!

On 11/8/2017 at 7:17 AM, faraway saint said:

We. as humans, are social beings.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that your view is the mainstream view.

It isn't. The world is full of people who like their own space, are very independent and self reliant and don't require the constant approval of others in order to validate their own existence. We keep a small circle of genuine friends and close family members.

According to research, about half the population of the world is introverted.

Not surprisingly most introverts don't open their mouths so people like you don't realise they are there in such vast numbers.

If everyone was like you, the world would be a tedious place.

Edited by oaksoft

On 11/8/2017 at 8:21 AM, RickMcD said:

My late mother always told me she was definitely there when I was born. And a big fat midwife skelped my arse. Cow!

On 11/8/2017 at 11:21 AM, Slartibartfast said:

What if you are a twin and die in a mass murder?

I am always willing to accept defeat when proven wrong.

You two have humbled me good and proper.

15 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Don't make the mistake of thinking that your view is the mainstream view.

It isn't. The world is full of people who like their own space, are very independent and self reliant and don't require the constant approval of others in order to validate their own existence. We keep a small circle of genuine friends and close family members.

According to research, about half the population of the world is introverted.

Not surprisingly most introverts don't open their mouths so people like you don't realise they are there in such vast numbers.

If everyone was like you, the world would be a tedious place.

THAT, coming from you, is the best line I've seen on here for some time. :lol:

Even Tedious Tom is less tedious than you.

Indeed. :byebye

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Watched highlights of Edmunds quarter final and he did play well.

Predominantly trys to get his forehand on most shots but to me doesn't mix it up enough to win the tournament.

It is a bonus, IMO, that he's avoided Nadal in the semi who had to retire in the 5th set against Cilic.

He's only 23, still plenty time to improve and he could be in the final but there's a certain Mr Federer heading to that final and that's not a good prospect. 

Edited by faraway saint

Just watched the highlights, never really in it, although the 2nd set tie break was a killer.

Win that and it's game on, as it was he didn't and it's a long way back, made worse by a injury which, to his credit, he played down after the match.

Still, he's young and could use this as a stepping stone to bigger things. 

Time will tell.

Disappointed no nuggets have been on whining he was called an English player early in the match. :lol:

Just read Federer is, shockeroony, through to the final after his young opponent retired with an injury, although he was getting pumped 6-1, 5-2 anyway.

The physical rigours of a slam are very demanding, to win you have to be in top condition and hope you don't pick up any niggles as the tournament goes on.

TBH hard to see Cilic beating Federer who's been on some form over the last year.

Still, I'll tune in on Sunday morning and might have a wee flutter just to make it interesting. 

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Federer broke Cilic early in the set but, to his great credit, Cilic has steadied up, broke back and held serve, currently he's 4-3 up in the 4th.

I love tennis. :clapping

Cilic takes the 4th set 6-3.

The gladiatorial aspect is superb in tennis, no place to hide, just 2 people against each other in the spotlight.

5th set coming up. :clapping

31 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Cilic takes the 4th set 6-3.

The gladiatorial aspect is superb in tennis, no place to hide, just 2 people against each other in the spotlight.

5th set coming up. :clapping

Federer wins 6-1 in the 5th.

Amazing how he just has the ability to produce the class when the pressure is on.

That's what makes good players great players and, in Federer's case, great players into the greatest.

just over 3 hours of quality tennis.