St Mirren Photos & Videos

9 hours ago, SBS said:

But if you're looking for a team. This is it1981-82.jpg

A choice of two decent keepers.
Young and Beckett at full back.
Copland Reid Dunlop Fulton and McCormack all capable in the central defence slots.

Midfield......... Spoilt for choice.
Fitzy Aber Lexy Stark Scanlon Speirs

Up front a combination we can only dream of today.
Somner McDougall McAvennie with Supersub for the 2nd half!

... and Jimmy Bone also was among the forward options for the occasional goal of the season effort too.

One of the few managers we didn't fire for not taking us to the next level.

9 hours ago, doonhamer said:

OK, I'm asking. 

I was at a match at Love Street,watching from right behind the goal at "our" end,right down at the barrier so I could lean on it. I had broke my foot playing footy so I needed the support to allow me to last the Match. The previous week Billy Thomson had dropped the ball during that Match so I took the chance to have some light hearted banter with him. Billy was good and joined in, giving all the right answers about how it happened and never again etc.etc.

However.........during this Match,Billy dropped the ball, goal for the opposition and as he picked the ball out of the net,looked up and saw me a few yards behind the goal mouthing " No again Big Man " he gave me a rueful look and shook his head.

I know this was a long time ago and long before Interweb but the memory has stuck and when I needed a username this one took my fancy at the time.

Still many great memories of the Big Fella between the sticks despite those two bloomers......as all keepers do.

8 hours ago, thepaisleypanda said:

Dens Park - cup replay - 1982 (ish)

Edit - 1981 - I think!

That was another right enough but not any of the two I was meaning ( see my reply , don't remember the opponents).

Was Dens Park not a nutmeg for the winner ???  I should remember, I was there !!!!!  After the Match I had to get a train to Perth,

then another train to Inverness, one more train to Nairn to my digs to get ready for work at 7am at Ardersier. And that travel was

after extra time........a long night after that result.

23 hours ago, SBS said:

Copland Reid Dunlop Fulton and McCormack all capable in the central defence slots.

Going to spoil the memory

Watching old re runs usually games against Sellic

The defence was a let down apart from Big Jack

That what stop us from going further as we were decent going forward

Lots of old Saints games on YouTube, unfortunately most of them are defeats to the Bigot Brothers uploaded by their fans.

Can some Saints fans from footage of that era please put up some Saints wins from those days?

Pretty please? I love watching the old games but getting a little fed up watching us lose....

39 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

First match after this photo was taken :

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1981&GameID=198108080

3 hours ago, JJP said:

Lots of old Saints games on YouTube, unfortunately most of them are defeats to the Bigot Brothers uploaded by their fans.

Can some Saints fans from footage of that era please put up some Saints wins from those days?

Pretty please? I love watching the old games but getting a little fed up watching us lose....

I have some old videos both pre-recorded "Official Scottish League" ones and my own VHS that I recorded up in my loft with Saints on them.I'll dig them out with a view to getting them to someone who can shift them to DVD. (Div ????)

4 hours ago, JJP said:

I'm the same

There was plenty but you struggle to find them

Even Morton have plenty on show

2 minutes ago, windae cleaner said:

Next game at Love Street they pumped us 5-1

They gave us a right good few doings 7-0.7-1 spring to mind and we had Thompson keeping the score down

I recall these well...unfortunately. 

After the 7..1 game I commented to my son's apparently that we made one mistake...we scored first and annoyed them. 

6 hours ago, windae cleaner said:

Was that not the nucleus of the team that pumped Septic 3-0 at Love St on a pissing wet day?? Scanlons screamer fromm the centre-circle?

Thinking back to that era (my 1st!!!) Were Thomson, Munro, Mcdougall, McGarvey, not all capped? (Fitzy was - kind of!!) - Did Scanlon ever get capped??  

2 hours ago, windae cleaner said:

Next game at Love Street they pumped us 5-1

They gave us a right good few doings 7-0.7-1 spring to mind and we had Thompson keeping the score down

Yes , but we still won the section , eliminating Celtic in the process. We weren't at ou strongest in any of the 7 goal defeats , Big Jack didn't play in the 1981 defeat and had retired before the next one when Winnie and Clarke were the central defenders!

13 minutes ago, Slash said:

Only Thomson, Munro and Weir from that period were full international caps. McGarvey never received any honours while with Saints. McDougall and Scanlon never got any caps.

http://www.stmirren.info/id71.html

True. but he made his Scotland debut just days after he left St Mirren, v (N Ireland). he hadn't even kicked a ball 

in training at Liverpool....

7 hours ago, billyg said:

Yes , but we still won the section , eliminating Celtic in the process. We weren't at ou strongest in any of the 7 goal defeats , Big Jack didn't play in the 1981 defeat and had retired before the next one when Winnie and Clarke were the central defenders!

That what i said earlier

Big Jack was by far our best central defender in that era

Other teams had good pairings

Miller and McLeish

Hegarty and Narey

We never had that and that's how that team never won anything

Really our greatest team who were in the top half of the top league

I miss those days badly

That what i said earlier
Big Jack was by far our best central defender in that era
Other teams had good pairings
Miller and McLeish
Hegarty and Narey
We never had that and that's how that team never won anything
Really our greatest team who were in the top half of the top league
I miss those days badly

No doubt Reid and Copland would have become one of those good partnerships had fate not stepped in. Even more frustrating that Fulton and Copland never had the chance to blossom as there was too much tinkering going on at that time. Fulton had everything , ability , stature and quite pacy yet clashes of personalities saw him offloaded.

On Thursday, January 05, 2017 at 10:28 PM, windae cleaner said:

I'm the same

There was plenty but you struggle to find them

Even Morton have plenty on show

The Soapdodgers are even ahead of us on youtube now. What is Jack Ross doing about this?

On 04/01/2017 at 6:32 PM, SBS said:

What a squad . But also.... What a couple of cracking strips !!    Would i be correct in saying these would be "off the peg" types ?   If so , what a bummer we might have to go down that road again !!! B)

5 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

What a squad . But also.... What a couple of cracking strips !!    Would i be correct in saying these would be "off the peg" types ?   If so , what a bummer we might have to go down that road again !!! B)

AFAIK they weren't off the peg types as Adidas etc hadn't gone down that road yet. I don't know of any other club who played in that home strip !